Laptop dropped in water. Help Please!

Hi all,
    My parents just drove in from Pennsylvania, and somewhere along the drive, my mom dropped her brand new Compaq laptop in water. She hasn't turned it on since (at least she says she hasn't tried.) If it hasn't been powered up, and I take it apart to let it dry completely, is there any chance it might be okay? Is there anything special I should do when drying it? Thanks in advance for the input.

Tim

Re: Laptop dropped in water. Help Please!

Be sure to remove the battery before even trying to power it up. Do not power it up with the battery inside it.

Taking it apart may surely be the best way to try and dry out the parts.

Honestly .. its a crap shoot here on whether the laptop is 'ok' or not. Be sure not to 'shake' the hard drive when you get it apart.

A hair dryer may help to dry the parts but I'd probably let it dry with a fan blowing over the parts for a day before I put it back together and try to power it up. (without the battery in it)

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Dont take it apart,unless your qualified to do so.
    Just let it sit there till it drys,if it takes a week hey it takes a week but at least you wont have a dead laptop

Well, I've taken it apart far enough to get some airflow through it from a fan, and hopefully, since we have no humidity at all out here in Montana, it should get it rather dry. The hard drive was dripping water when I took it out, but I've got a few extra hard drives laying around, so that's not a huge concern compared to the cost of the laptop itself. They're staying until next Sunday, so I'm not even going to touch it again until next Friday...if it isn't dried out by then, it'll never be.
    Thanks!

3 days has been my experience in most cases, not even related to waiting for electronics to dry. couple hours with a hairdryer. I think you did good though getting out as much water as you could. water can't sit on it for days without damaging something.

I'd just return the thing after it's dry, if possible. ha ha.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

word

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

beside the external battery there probably is another CMOS battery on the MOBO. you may need to take that out too.

I would try and at least get the keyboard off that way all condensation can dry up. I would give it a week.

Hopefully the LCD isn't damaged
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Angry Re: Laptop dropped in water. Help Please!

Well, I completely disassembled it and it's completely dry, but when I plug it in, the fan starts spinning immediately, and the power button has no effect at all. Same thing if I install the battery without plugging it in.

Also, talking to my dad in private, he told me that the first thing my mom did was hit the power button to see if it worked, so I'm pretty sure it's toast.

As far as warranty work, I'm assuming laptops have the same little moisture sensor buried somewhere in them that cell phones have? It's way past the return policy on the store, otherwise I think that would have been pretty easy. Probably just list it on eBay as water damaged and see what we can get out of it, since she only paid $399 for it, and she's buying a new one for the same price.

It is worth a shot to take it back to a store if it is still in the return period. If not, you are SOL unless you want to risk sending it back to Compaq and asking them to fix it. It sounds like you lost the onboard power supply/regulator even possibly the motherboard.

I'm willing to be that everything except the harddrive is fine; hit or miss on the drive.

You might need to wash the thing again (minus battery and drive), and then dry it.

I do not like having electronics sit around while wet, more than a day or two of that and parts often start to rust, and rust all over the inside of a computer is generally not good.

I'm not sure what kind of temps an LCD can take, but I have used a normal electric oven set to 200F to dry out components very rapidly (an hour or so). I make sure I keep a few layers of alluminum foil above and below them however. I do not want direct radiative heating (which could cause hot spots that are warm enough to melt plastic), I want pure, even temperature, convection.

Well, it turns out she bought it back at Christmas, so the store return period is long over. As far as components, I've checked the hard drive and RAM, and they're both fine. I know the battery is fine since the moment you install it, the fan spins up (but nothing happens.) As far as it being dry, like I said, I completely disassembled it, and put a fan on it for 5 days, but temps here were in the 100's, and humidity was less than 20% (can't beat that for convection,) so I'm sure it was completely dry within an hour or so of taking it apart. Looks like I'll just be throwing it on eBay and hopefully somebody who likes laptops a little more than me can get it going.

Thanks for all the input.

I know it's a little late for this one, but you might want to check out the MFG website. Most sell a water damage option on thier warantees.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850