Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Apple IPhone - Potential Buyers Beware!

I just wanted to take a moment to inform the board about my very first experience with Apples's IPhone.

As most are you are aware the device is managed entirely through iTunes.

Now after reinstalling iTunes until I was blue in the face and receiving the following error message while trying to activate my iPhone:

The software required for iPhone is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again.

I called Apple support. I spent over an 1:30 min on the phone before the call was elevated to a software engineer. After many more minutes on hold the engineer returns and states the Apple Mobile Device driver is not compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit! He begins to apologies.

I informed him the Apple website indicates the iTunes software package works with Windows Vista however it does not indicate 32 bit or 64 bit and consider that to be very misleading!

He apologized yet many more times and said he along with many others were unaware of the Vista 64bit driver compatibility issue. I asked him if they had any intention of correcting the problem and didn't get a direct response.

I then made a inquiry how to go about returning the device without being charged a 10% restocking fee. He said he wasn't sure. He then provided me a case number and his contact information so that I could call him direct if I had any other questions.

Now granted I am sure Apple tech support is extremely busy however it would seem this is just a minor (little sarcasm there) oversight on Apples part.

So with all that said. Sorry I am a little hot headed right now and it’s hard for me to collectively put my thoughts together.

If you have Windows Vista 64bit edition (possibly Winsows XP 64bit) and would like to use your iPhone in combination with iTunes, forget it! At least for the time being. I could reinstall Windows XP or Vista 32 bit I guess, but then again I shouldn't have too!

Any chance you think O Steve will call me up with a personal apology and possibly a refund?

Last edited by Heckler; 06-30-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Re: Apple IPhone - Potential Buyers Beware!

A simpler solution would be to cough up the 64-bit driver. Shouldn't take more than a week.

How long did you stand in line for yours

Apple is probably still waiting for Microsoft to sign off on the driver.

I can't imaging MS is in any great hurry.

this is the reason why you dont buy a product that just came out

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Yeah, like Vista.

I hear the screen on it scratches up very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Apple is probably still waiting for Microsoft to sign off on the driver.

I can't imaging MS is in any great hurry.
    I seriously doubt Apple are bothered. Vista has an even smaller market share at present than OS X (Apple knows first hand how small that is), and 64-bit Vista is going to be even smaller still. Negligible springs to mind.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride View Post
    this is the reason why you dont buy a product that just came out
    Or, at least, more practically, don't expect it to be a pain free experience.

it is not surprising that there is no support for vista 64-bit. at least for now. not a lot of vendors have their hardware driver on vista 64-bit because it costs $10,000 per version of whatever needs to be certified. the long post could have been summed up in a simple title...

"apple iphone activation not available for vista 64-bit."

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

This whole issue with 64 bit vista is happening with all kinds of hardware.
    And it pisses me off,4 years ago when the Athlon 64 first came out we were all led to beleive that blablalbla 64 bit is the future,the next Microsoft OS was gonna be 64 bit.
    Now Vista comes out and whats this???They have a 32 bit version as well!!!
    What happen to 64 bit only revolution?I can understand intel pressuring Microsoft to stick with 32 bit cause their pos P4 was only 32 bit.BUT NOW THEY HAVE FRIGGEN C2Ds WITH 64 BIT!!
    WTF!! Most of us have the capability to run a 64 bit OS but noooooo they are catering to people who still have a 32 bit CPU.I mean laugh give me a break.
    Whats gonna happen say 2 years from now when appz and games or whatever need more then 3.5 GB of RAM which is a 32 bit OSes limit?Huh?Are they then going to push the whole 64 bit revolution?
    Last edited by Poci; 07-01-2007 at 08:58 PM.

4 years ago when the Athlon 64 first came out we were all led to beleive that blablalbla 64 bit is the future,the next Microsoft OS was gonna be 64 bit.
    4 years ago when the Athlon 64 first came out and people were touting 64-bit computing, I knew not to touch it with a ten-foot pole simply because when you leave the "mainstream" these are exactly the kinds of problems you run into.

Sorry to hear of your problems with your new iPhone. It really is pretty inexcusable on Apple's part - it's like "oops! we didn't think of that!".

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Well chiles I certainly remember,watching AMDs grand introduction show at school,our teacher a systems analist was all hyped about it and played it for us live over his laptop.And all the AMD CEO kept saying was how 64 bits is the future and that MS next OS was gonna be 64 bit and how we should all jump on the 64 bit bandwagon now

blaming a company for not supporting a 64-bit operating system that is less than 1% of user base? put a little logic ahead of knee jerk reaction guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    This whole issue with 64 bit vista is happening with all kinds of hardware.
    And it pisses me off,4 years ago when the Athlon 64 first came out we were all led to beleive that blablalbla 64 bit is the future,the next Microsoft OS was gonna be 64 bit.
    Now Vista comes out and whats this???They have a 32 bit version as well!!!
    What happen to 64 bit only revolution?I can understand intel pressuring Microsoft to stick with 32 bit cause their pos P4 was only 32 bit.BUT NOW THEY HAVE FRIGGEN C2Ds WITH 64 BIT!!
    WTF!! Most of us have the capability to run a 64 bit OS but noooooo they are catering to people who still have a 32 bit CPU.I mean laugh give me a break.
    Whats gonna happen say 2 years from now when appz and games or whatever need more then 3.5 GB of RAM which is a 32 bit OSes limit?Huh?Are they then going to push the whole 64 bit revolution?
    But where's the benefit? What exactly is it that you do with your computer that requires a 64-bit OS?

And what the hell is any OS doing to need more than 3.5GB ram? Sure, if you're running huge corporate databases on a high end server, I can see the need, but jeez, Vista wants 1GB plus just to boot sensibly. 64-bit Linux has been quietly running along on 256/512MB systems for years, not that there's any benefit for most users there either.

And if MS only released a 64-bit version of vista, they'd have 0.1% market share instead of the staggering 1% they have at the moment

Basically, you guys are having the exact same debate we had in the Linux community 3 years ago, and we're still waiting to see any real benefit of going 64-bit... and you'll most likely still be having the same debate 3 years down the road

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    But where's the benefit? What exactly is it that you do with your computer that requires a 64-bit OS?

And what the hell is any OS doing to need more than 3.5GB ram? Sure, if you're running huge corporate databases on a high end server, I can see the need, but jeez, Vista wants 1GB plus just to boot sensibly. 64-bit Linux has been quietly running along on 256/512MB systems for years, not that there's any benefit for most users there either.

And if MS only released a 64-bit version of vista, they'd have 0.1% market share instead of the staggering 1% they have at the moment

Basically, you guys are having the exact same debate we had in the Linux community 3 years ago, and we're still waiting to see any real benefit of going 64-bit... and you'll most likely still be having the same debate 3 years down the road

Whats my concern?Games my freind games

And 2 years from now like I said us gaming junkies are gonna need more then 3.5 gigs of RAM