View Poll Results: Which project should we support as a team project?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rieselsieve

9 50.00%
  • Protiens@home

2 11.11%
  • PrimeGrid

0 0%
  • Tanpaku

3 16.67%
  • Rosetta

1 5.56%
  • Einstien

1 5.56%
  • Spinhenge

1 5.56%
  • Rectilinear crossing

1 5.56%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Team project poll for Aug 2007

I haven't noticed any issues with my Linux boxes.

I would probably down grade your internet connection if you can there Ned. We were having issues with our internet connection at work for the longest time when we were on ADSL. The 'solution' from our ISP was to increase our speed, and give us a better modem. I'm sorry to say, but it wasn't the modem. It was their bloody lines!

So every time they upped our speed, which they did several times (a few times they didn't tell us till after), our connection got worse. So finally they upped it so much it was down more then up.

Since we've switched to Cable internet, it's been rock solid!

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Let's see, 10 of us verses 78 of them at PLANET3DNOW. Kinda sounds like one of those old kung fu movies from the 70's. Check out the opposition:

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user...ve&st=0&ti=683
    The B's call there 34k and ups it by 10k
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    I did loose a day's crunching time though... My darn Linux clients keep erroring out and restarting each WU every time my internet connection gets dropped. It's not an RS problem, same thing happens with seti too so it must be a boinc issue. Only affects my Linux boxes though and has been happening for years
    Ever think it's a Linux problem?

No issues with Windows
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

*knock knock knock BSOD calling!!! I do have to say, so far, Linux has been a much better OS than Winblows has been. I have had a few problems with Linux; I admit; but its more operator error than the OS itself. I'm learning. It has a learning curve, but so far, Linux is looking better. Not to mention currently 4 boxes on Linux times roughly $200 a pop for Winblows = $800 saved that can go to other boxes or upgrades!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    I haven't noticed any issues with my Linux boxes.

I would probably down grade your internet connection if you can there Ned. We were having issues with our internet connection at work for the longest time when we were on ADSL. The 'solution' from our ISP was to increase our speed, and give us a better modem. I'm sorry to say, but it wasn't the modem. It was their bloody lines!

So every time they upped our speed, which they did several times (a few times they didn't tell us till after), our connection got worse. So finally they upped it so much it was down more then up.

Since we've switched to Cable internet, it's been rock solid!
    No doubt it's probably an issue with the lines. We don't have cable as an option here. I switched to the 8mb max package as it was cheaper and supposedly faster than the 2mb package I was previously on, but because it's dynamic, I never really get much more than 2mb anyway due to the distance from my local exchange.

Basically, when boinc fails to resolve the domain name for a project (if the internet connection is down), it just restarts the current WU. It sits there constantly trying to connect, fails and restarts the WU every 2 mins until I reboot the router. The simplest solution I've found is to disable internet activity in boinc and then manually upload once per day. I was thinking of manually entering the SETI servers IP address in my HOSTS file to see if that would help so it doesn't fail the dns resolution but instead fails to connect to the servers as I don't have this problem when the projects servers are down.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    Executing Kirk Epsilon. Pressing 'Ramming Speed' button....now!

I like these little bitty wu's, Einstein was getting....boring. I feel like I'm slapping these RS wu's around.

I like those odds! And the analogy.

Crunch on!
    Ah yes...smoked trout my old arch enemy from Einstein. With enemies like this...who needs friends .

I'm seeing good RAC too. My slowest cruncher has gone from 330 in SETI (with an optimized SETI app too) to a steady 400 in RS

I did loose a day's crunching time though... My darn Linux clients keep erroring out and restarting each WU every time my internet connection gets dropped. It's not an RS problem, same thing happens with seti too so it must be a boinc issue. Only affects my Linux boxes though and has been happening for years

Just tried updating my router firmware to see if that helps, as since upgrading to 8mbit adsl it seems to have got worse and drops the connection almost daily

Well if you were running...http://m0n0.ch/wall/ on something like...http://cgi.ebay.com/Nortel-Contivity...QQcmdZViewItem you wouldn't have any problems.

BTW..this is my first multi quote post of my entire life. It was fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Here are some interesting stats for ya.

http://www.boincstats.com/stats/user...o=&date=&or=12

Please note , we have 7 members in the top 30:
    I've only been doing it for two days and I qualify! Good grief.

No doubt it's probably an issue with the lines. We don't have cable as an option here. I switched to the 8mb max package as it was cheaper and supposedly faster than the 2mb package I was previously on, but because it's dynamic, I never really get much more than 2mb anyway due to the distance from my local exchange.
    That sounds almost identical to what I've experienced. The 'faster' the service, the slower my internet experience was.

We did get one of the phone techs to put a cap on our speed. That helped things out a bit. But we should have caped it even slower. But that was shortly before we switched. None of the phone techs were telling us anything useful. And what they did tell us would contradict the previous call. Hence another reason why we switched.

Basically, when boinc fails to resolve the domain name for a project (if the internet connection is down), it just restarts the current WU. It sits there constantly trying to connect, fails and restarts the WU every 2 mins until I reboot the router. The simplest solution I've found is to disable internet activity in boinc and then manually upload once per day. I was thinking of manually entering the SETI servers IP address in my HOSTS file to see if that would help so it doesn't fail the dns resolution but instead fails to connect to the servers as I don't have this problem when the projects servers are down.
    Interesting idea. Definitely worth a shot.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 07-11-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Interesting idea. Definitely worth a shot.
    It's not something I really want to do - could cause problems if the servers ever change IPs. Of course I could always hard code the IPs in the source instead of the domain lookups with the same effect.

As it doesn't seem a widespread issue, I'm thinking it more likely has to be some weird quirk with RHEL than boinc I've been having this issue since way back when I used to compile my own v4 boinc clients.

Well, it seems that the P3D guys have either given up or have gone into stealth mode. Nothing in their forum about the frogies for 2 days. Their credit seems to be holding steady at about 35000. Next stop team finnland in about a week at current rates.

Quote Originally Posted by thezfunk View Post
    Ah yes...smoked trout my old arch enemy from Einstein. With enemies like this...who needs friends .
    Man, we had a good run didn't we? And then MJD and the B's jumped in and put us both to shame.

Einstein was handing out credit like candy. We were eating it up!

Anyway, warp engines engaged. Let's see what this Reisel Seive can do!
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

The Fish are going to try and keep up and cook some trout, either way should be fun.
    Crunching various BOINC projects under the Swordfish username, for the PCPER Froggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joofoo View Post
    The Fish are going to try and keep up and cook some trout, either way should be fun.
    I will stop you with my Zfunkapimpaliciousness!

And I'm still stalled at the starting line unable to get any WUs.

And I'm still stalled at the starting line unable to get any WUs.
    Odd!

Must be OS related!
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro