Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Partition magic + Vista = problems

I dont know if anyone else has come across this problem but partition magic 8 and vista x86 ( ultimate ) dont seem to play well together. PM8 shows that my hard drives are completely full even though not even half of the space is being used and therefore i cannot partiton the drives. It shows question marks around each drive in PM8. Anyone know if theres a way to get around this or do I have to give up on my favorite hard drive program for now??

Re: Partition magic + Vista = problems

Are you talking about the PM 8 first put out in like 2001 - 2002 when it was still a PowerQuest product? It may not be compatible with Vista. I'd be very careful, as I'm sure you know that mistakes using a partitioning programming can be deadly.

FWIW: since Vista is still ntfs, I tried using PM 8's cousin, Drive Image 2002 (the DOS floppy version), to do a disk-to-disk copy of my Vista Home Premium hard drive. It generated some major weirdness, I can't recall the specifics, but I couldn't run any operations. I was afraid I'd maybe screwed up the hdd with Vista on it, but it was okay.

That's one bad thing about Vista, I don't expect those final PowerQuest products (PM 8, DI 2002) to work on Vista. They have been mainstays of mine for 4 - 5 years now with XP and even 98se, extremely reliable. I don't trust the Symantec versions. That may be misplaced, but I just don't trust 'em.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Hmm....so do you know of any partitioning software that works with vista or has nothing been released yet?

Unless you have a specific reason/need to use a third-party partitioning program, why not just do it during a normal O/S install?

i like to have 2 partitions on my C: drive, one for everything (installed programs / OS) and a much small 2-3GB partition for drivers for everything in case i have to reinstall everything so I dont have to go searching for software.

That's ok if you have only one hard drive, but it is better to have two drives, one for just basic storage of archives, docs, pics, videos... etc. Each drive with only one partition.

I do actually, I have 4 SATA drives, one for O/S and programs, one for downloads, and two for storage, all totallying about 1.5 TB, none are partitioned as of yet and i just wanted to know if there was some software that could make that extra partition on the system drive C for drivers and such in order to save time and not go back to XP for the sole reason for partitioning a drive.

So none of those drives are partitioned, formatted, or ready to use?

No. Every drive is ready right now and has data on it except for the C: drive, which i want to create that seperate partition. My question is if there is any Vista supported drive partitioning software

I'm not aware of any that are absolutely known to work ATM. Why not just make a new directory/folder on one of those other drives to store your drivers in? I'm sorry but I really don't see the logic behind wanting to put them in a small partition on C:.

Regardless of the logic or the reasoning behind it my question was if there was any partitioning software thats vista compatable yet.

I see that the newest Partition Magic from Symantec isn't even Vista compatible. Yeah, I guess acronis. There are probably some freebies out there if you're daring.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Vista can resize partition without 3rd party software.
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=441614

Patition Commander 10 is Vista compatible.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.