Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Partition magic + Vista = problems

I always use a free Linux Live CD to clone Vista and has written a thread on it. To resize it I use Disk Management as Vista now has its own resizer inside.

Vista now checks the partition it keeps on every boot up. Therefore any attempt to move its boundary, change size etc will be met with a refusal to boot or an error. The reaction is less hostile if a user runs a mirror image which differs only by the hard disk serial number not matching the cloned image.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee View Post
    Vista now checks the partition it keeps on every boot up. Therefore any attempt to move its boundary, change size etc will be met with a refusal to boot or an error. The reaction is less hostile if a user runs a mirror image which differs only by the hard disk serial number not matching the cloned image.
    Could you elaborate? What exactly do you mean by "less hostile"? Also, if you change the partition size with Vista's own disk management, do you also get errors or a refusal on boot?
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Use the DOS version of PM8. Not sure about this Vista seeing some different size it will refuse to boot, but at least you could partition C then reinstall Vista.

Or install Windows XP and use PM8 to partition then wipe C (partition) clean ....

PQ5-EM/E7200 Intel/Bios .0204 9.5x 345mhz @3.3Ghz
    PC6400 Corsair 2GB, Stock HSF
    Cooler Master 201, Enermax 495AX-VE
    200GB Hitachi SATA, 120 GB WD
    BenQ DW1620 DVDr

The standard behaviour of a XP if cloned onto a different hard disk and discovering in its hardware record the residing hard disk serial number no longer matching the new disk it would demand an immediate reboot. On a reboot the OS will work normal again as MS does allow a hard disk change. There is no need to reactivate the OS.

Vista has an identical behaviour but depending on how it is cloned, because one can clone only its partition, or clone it from a bigger disk into a smaller disk etc, it may ask for a reactivation.

If the cloning is badly done then the MBR will have to be restored by

Boot up the installation CD
    Choose a language
    Click "next"
    Click "Reapir your computer" and the OS is normal again in seconds.

A re-install, however, is rarely needed in my case.

If one resize a Vista partition using its tools in Disk Management then Vista would amend its own partition table and cannot complain about any alteration.

Resizing/cloning work is often done by a software outside with the OS inactive and so Vista is not party to the change.
    Last edited by saikee; 07-12-2007 at 03:44 AM.

hey, first post here
    came across this convo on a google search for partitioning software that runs on vista
    just to let people know, the "disk management" one that comes built into vista sucks
    it doesn't have the features that partition magic has, not even close
    my problem with it is it doesn't extend a partition unless the free space is DIRECTLY after it (contiguous)
    that is rediculous, retarded, etc
    and also i have read many reports of people having a LOT of problems with it, such as options greyed out (like shrink and extend) even in situations where they are supposed to be enabled (not like mine)
    so, forget about using diskpart or disk management
    i'd like to thank you guys for the suggestions
    i am about to try partition commander 10
    wish me luck!
    on yeah
    and as for symantec's partition magic
    i would never let that product, nor ANY symantec product come within 10 feet of any of my pcs, thanks
    powerquest for life
    Last edited by surgex0; 07-22-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surgex0 View Post
    hey, first post here
    came across this convo on a google search for partitioning software that runs on vista
    just to let people know, the "disk management" one that comes built into vista sucks
    it doesn't have the features that partition magic has, not even close
    my problem with it is it doesn't extend a partition unless the free space is DIRECTLY after it (contiguous)
    that is rediculous, retarded, etc
    and also i have read many reports of people having a LOT of problems with it, such as options greyed out (like shrink and extend) even in situations where they are supposed to be enabled (not like mine)
    so, forget about using diskpart or disk management
    i'd like to thank you guys for the suggestions
    i am about to try partition commander 10
    wish me luck!
    on yeah
    and as for symantec's partition magic
    i would never let that product, nor ANY symantec product come within 10 feet of any of my pcs, thanks
    powerquest for life
    Welcome to the forums. My sentiments exactly.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

my problem with it is it doesn't extend a partition unless the free space is DIRECTLY after it (contiguous) that is rediculous, retarded, etc
    As far I am aware a partition is defined by the starting and finishing points in a hard disk and is in unit of cylinders. It is an "ESSENTIAL" requirement that the partition area is contiguous because the partition table is limited by only 16 bytes to define any partition.

As far I am aware a partition is defined by the starting and finishing points in a hard disk and is in unit of cylinders. It is an "ESSENTIAL" requirement that the partition area is contiguous because the partition table is limited by only 16 bytes to define any partition.
    I wonder if he means that vista won't reconfigure/rearrange your partitions like PM does, even if the free space is not directly next to the "to be expanded partition" at the time of the repartitioning, because you're right, the area within a partition has to one one contiguous area.

perhaps i explained my situation wrong

http://elssblog.blogspot.com/2006/06...ows-vista.html

taken from that article, here is my problem:

"There is only 1 limitation: when you try to extend a partition, you'll see that it is still only possible to extend with contiguous free space.
    Thus, let's say you have the following situation:
    C: drive (50 Gb)
    D: drive (50 Gb)
    Free space (100 Gb)
    Then you will be able to extend drive D: but you will not be able to extend drive C: since the last one does not have any white space directly following the partition.
    If you're in this situation, you still need a third-party tool."

and as of now, after installing avanquest partition commander 10.0, i was able to use the "redistribute free space" tool on this software and was able to extend my c: drive

this program seems to most if not ALL of the features that the old powerquest partition magic had, and it works great on vista! (i'm using 32bit ultimate)

after it did what it was supposed to do (extend my c: drive), i restarted, got the vista screen saying it needed to check the disks blah blah blah; came out good, and then restarted again, and now finally it seems to have worked great

thanks for the recommendation! i will definately keep this program installed, and i would definately recommend it to the person who was inquiring about partitioning at the beginning of this thread.
    it works great, and it closely resembles my favorite partitioning program of all time, the original pq partition magic (R.I.P.)

In Vista Ultimate I regularly save an image of the C: to an external drive with the Windows utility. For all other O/S I use Drive Snapshot from drivesnapshot.de...