Page 543 of 730 FirstFirst ... 43443493533539540541542543544545546547553593643 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,145 of 10944

Re: Economic News/Discussion

Ahh..OK...I understand. That other piece I linked to was mainly for haha's and I could have been more clear in backing away from the gloom and doom

Wow, it sure is an election year isn't it? I'd love to know how they really come up with these numbers, how they can say with a straight face that unemployment levels are plummeting, all the while forgetting the other numbers in front of their faces.

People who have exhausted their unemployment benefits and have given up looking for work? Umm, let's not talk about that.

People who are making far less money than they used to because their unemployment benefits ran out and they took whatever job they had to? Well, that doesn't matter as they are working!

And then there's my favorite number of all. The one they can't seem to fudge, and the one that scares me the most. The amount of people on food stamps. Since 2008 alone, there are now roughly 20 MILLION more people on food stamps, and the number is still rising. That is about a 40% increase in 4 years btw. Oh and this number hasn't just gone up since BO took office either. From 2004 to 2008, it increased from about 21 million people to around 28 million. This was during a time when this country was in an economic boom.

So I don't get it. If everyone is going back to work, why can't they afford to buy food? Why must they resort to food stamps? Is it because people have gone back to work but are making a fraction of what they used to? Is it because people have found a way to scam the system for free food while going out and buying Ipads? I don't know, but what I do know is you can't have a great economy where everyone is working AND there are more people than ever collecting food stamps. That right there should tell you something is amiss, and it should be very worrying to both Democrats and Republicans alike.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    I hear ya. I should have directed my quote more towards the Reynolds piece. His asinine assertions comparing the economy of today to the economy of 5 years ago piss me off to no end. If you wanna say the economy sucks, fine...but saying it isn't getting better because we haven't reached the phony bologna inflated numbers we reached right before the shit hit the fan? Come on man. He's wasting my time.
    Wait.. lemme get this straight. A die hard member of the party who brought us the new measurement "saved or created" is complaining about "phony bologna inflated numbers"? Be still my heart.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    ^^^

Unemployment rate drops to 8.3%, 243K jobs added

. . .

A month ago, we joked when we said that for Obama to get the unemployment rate to negative by election time, all he has to do is to crush the labor force participation rate to about 55%. Looks like the good folks at the BLS heard us: it appears that the people not in the labor force exploded by an unprecedented record 1.2 million. No, thatís not a typo: 1.2 million people dropped out of the labor force in one month!

Sums up the Obama "recovery" nicely.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Seasonally adjusted, we"re doing great... ya take the numbers, add the fudge factor, wallah!!!

Please don't look at the man behind the curtain.

I hear ya. I should have directed my quote more towards the Reynolds piece. His asinine assertions comparing the economy of today to the economy of 5 years ago piss me off to no end. If you wanna say the economy sucks, fine...but saying it isn't getting better because we haven't reached the phony bologna inflated numbers we reached right before the shit hit the fan? Come on man. He's wasting my time.
    Yep.

Ive harped about this before and Ill illustrate again my frustration with seasonal adjustments. And recognize..Id be thrilled to see this sort of thing slow way down

Unadjusted (actual) new unemployment claims weekly (source BLS site)

12/3 528,793
    12/10 435,863
    12/17 421,103
    12/24 497,689
    12.31 540,057
    1/7 646,219
    1/14 535,442
    1/21 416,880
    1/28 415,094

So we know 400,000 is that magic number...were treading water at that rate and we want improvement from that idle benchmark.

When Ill be convinced things are really recovering is when we return to a more normal low 300,000 with some 275,000 weeks mixed in.

Numbers like those shown are not indicative of recovery...sure they are better than last year but dont expect any change in GDP until we stop bleeding jobs. Again...headed in right direction but thats still alot of pink slips per week.

Add in this report and we can understand why folks are wondering where the great news came from

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46186264
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 02-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Now, I like BlackDragon, but I was thinking about him last night and some things he said.

When Rick Perry first entered the GOP race and Dutch and I were so happy and touting his record of job creation in Texas, BD was quick to point out that those were probably all jobs at Walmart and McDonalds in Texas.

Now, when we're bashing Obama's mediocre-at-best, horrible-at-worst economic record, BD is touting all these private sector jobs that Obama has created.

I guess Obama is the magic jobs creator and Perry in Texas can only create Walmart jobs? Dang.

I guess the grass is always greener when it's your side's record on the line.

For sake of argument, even if they're numbers are correct, it still isn't enough to crack a dent in the great recession.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Unemployment going down because people just aren't looking any more.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/record...-rate-tumbles-
    Brian

^^^^ What I was saying above. To reiterate, if unemployment really is going down, why are there more people than ever on food stamps? And again, why is that number continuing to go up at a drastic rate?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Now, I like BlackDragon, but I was thinking about him last night and some things he said.

When Rick Perry first entered the GOP race and Dutch and I were so happy and touting his record of job creation in Texas, BD was quick to point out that those were probably all jobs at Walmart and McDonalds in Texas.

Now, when we're bashing Obama's mediocre-at-best, horrible-at-worst economic record, BD is touting all these private sector jobs that Obama has created.

I guess Obama is the magic jobs creator and Perry in Texas can only create Walmart jobs? Dang.

I guess the grass is always greener when it's your side's record on the line.
    To be fair, my posting of the job creation graph comparing Bush to Obama was more in response to your post about Romney's viability as a job creator.

I don't hold Obama as some magical job creator. I'd certainly like to see even better and faster recovery. But given the fact that the guy walked into about the biggest shitstorm any president has ever faced and managed to turn it around to what it is now? I'm a little bit impressed. And have a lot more faith in his policies than I do in recycled republican policies that got us into this mess in the first place

You need to read up on the great depression. All the deficit spending to create "jobs" with debt is said to have prolonged the depression.
    Brian

To be fair, my posting of the job creation graph comparing Bush to Obama was more in response to your post about Romney's viability as a job creator.

I don't hold Obama as some magical job creator. I'd certainly like to see even better and faster recovery. But given the fact that the guy walked into about the biggest shitstorm any president has ever faced and managed to turn it around to what it is now? I'm a little bit impressed. And have a lot more faith in his policies than I do in recycled republican policies that got us into this mess in the first place
    So what exactly did he do BD. The stimulus? The HC bill that won't even kick in until he's gone? The SCOAMF barely mentioned either in the SOTU. I would not even call it a "recovery" yet. Unemployment dropping due to people leaving the workforce ain't cause for a celebration IMHO. Heck.. this administration was as surprised by the recent numbers as it was when the "stimulus" failed to to diddly sqwat. Perpetual cluelessness seems to be the "policy" you are so impressed by.

Good luck recycling the lie that the repuggies got us into this mess instead of the affirmative action placed on lending standards pushed by your party through Fannie and Freddie. Wanna talk about the "shitstorm"? Id say it was a self inflicted wound your party brought upon itself politically that we're paying for collectively as a country. I hope whoever the repuggie candidate is corrects the scuttlebutt every time it comes up.

It was not the banks that created the mortgage crisis. It was, plain and simple, Congress who forced everybody to go and give mortgages to people who were on the cusp.

-The Gipper

^^To BD about Job Creator Presidents. I agree and try and leave Presidents out of the equation. At best they "preside" over job creations at best. Lets not kid ourselves...job creators are the names on our paychecks. Can Administration actions be a plus or minus? Of course.
    My complaint with Obama is his anti business (unless you are a green company) mindset. Have businesses reacted unfavorably to his ideology?
    Sure they have. Its a big part of company mindset...they wonder for instance about the impact of medical insurance costs and fines coming at them down the road. I can illustrate that easily. If you owned a company with < 50 people? Would you hire more folks and put yourselt at risk once crossing the 50 threshold? Of course not. So business have to fight with that real fear....rational or otherwise.
    But hey..it was Obama's choice coming in...be business friendly or fall back to community organizer mentality that fights "the man".
    What we need is someone in the WH thats seen as at least business friendly with a vision thet will convince us that well return to business as usual.
    What we dont need is an administration that paints itself as headquarters for some consumer protection agency that usurps what is done at state levels.

Good point about the depression BD. I agree. With all the democrat praise for the Hoover Dam...you would think they would consider Keystone as similar withoutthe government cost. Its not so much about the jobs it creates...it becomes a focus for folks...a net positive that people can see. Like that homerun in the bottom of the 9th. Thats what is lacking at the moment. IMO