Page 645 of 730 FirstFirst ... 145545595635641642643644645646647648649655695 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,675 of 10944

Re: Economic News/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I'll roll with that. To help me understand, give me an example of a tangible asset this country has as a part of our debt. Something we can pass on to those children of ours that are going to be stuck with the bill.

I'm trying to come up with something, but ain't got nothin'.
    Roads? Bridges? Airports? Schools? Shiny tanks and planes to defend it? And GUNS...lots of GUNS!!!! (Sorry I had to ). All of the things that make this country function as an industrialized nation? I mean use your imagination just a little here Dutch....I get your point, but just because we are cash poor does not mean that we are broke....or maybe its the other way around....you know what I mean.

And I've got to correct you even though in general, you're on the right track. But home improvements hardly ever (read damn near never) yield a two fold return. I design 'em all the time... especially of late because new homes simply aren't being built... and unless you're capable and input your own labor and charge it as "free" (read: phony accounting), you simply aren't going to double your money on home improvements.

Even the work we've done here, which was extensive and done frugally, with lots of favors and swaps and barters and my own sweat 'n tears... double? I wish. Ya have to do it because you want to and ya like it... there are easier ways to make a buck. Like most real estate improvements, inflation is a better friend than even the best of work.
    I won't pretend to argue with an expert on this matter but I would imagine that it all comes down to what you choose to improve and how you choose to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Roads? Bridges? Airports? Schools? Shiny tanks and planes to defend it? And GUNS...lots of GUNS!!!! (Sorry I had to ). All of the things that make this country function as an industrialized nation? I mean use your imagination just a little here Dutch....I get your point, but just because we are cash poor does not mean that we are broke....or maybe its the other way around....you know what I mean.
    OK, I'm thinkin' here... the new Bay Bridge... yep... other 'n that, a lot of shovel ready bridge repairs that need doin'... roads? They aren't even keeping up with maintenance. No new airports. Even Denver (our newest) was a replacement. And there is a lot of newly built crap in Washington D.C. Detroit, not so much. Shiny tanks and planes? Some, but with the military budgets getting slashed... nope. One new carrier. No more Space Shuttle. Well, museum pieces. Guns. Yeah, lots of guns.

So yeah... here kids... a twenty trillion dollar bill (projection of when Obama's done hosin' us) and here's your sign guns.

And since we don't actually have a plan to pay it back, we're countin' on you kids. Aren't you glad we made it so you can stay on Mommy and Daddy's healthcare plan?

Pink Slip Report SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA

In the week ending March 16, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 336,000, an increase of 2,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 334,000. The 4-week moving average was 339,750, a decrease of 7,500 from the previous week's revised average of 347,250.
    The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 2.4 percent for the week ending March 9, unchanged from the prior week's unrevised rate. The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending March 9 was 3,053,000, an increase of 5,000 from the preceding week's revised level of 3,048,000. The 4-week moving average was 3,076,250, a decrease of 28,000 from the preceding week's revised average of 3,104,250.
    UNADJUSTED DATA
    The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 299,143 in the week ending March 16, a decrease of 18,383 from the previous week. There were 319,498 initial claims in the comparable week in 2012.
    The advance unadjusted insured unemployment rate was 2.7 percent during the week ending March 9, unchanged from the prior week's unrevised rate. The advance unadjusted number for persons claiming UI benefits in state programs totaled 3,437,345, a decrease of 64,575 from the preceding week's revised level of 3,501,920. A year earlier, the rate was 3.0 percent and the volume was 3,815,580.

<<And since we don't actually have a plan to pay it back>>

Really. LOL....when was there ever a plan to pay any of the debt back by any president of the right and for that matter any congress preson of the right?

^ Good excuse.

Note: This week's release reflects the annual revision to the weekly unemployment claims seasonal adjustment factors. The seasonal adjustment factors used for the UI Weekly Claims data from 2008 forward, along with the resulting seasonally adjusted values for initial claims and continuing claims, have been revised.
    UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE WEEKLY CLAIMS REPORT
    SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA

In the week ending March 23, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 357,000, an increase of 16,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 341,000. The 4-week moving average was 343,000, an increase of 2,250 from the previous week's revised average of 340,750.

The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 2.4 percent for the week ending March 16, unchanged from the prior week's unrevised rate. The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending March 16 was 3,050,000, a decrease of 27,000 from the preceding week's revised level of 3,077,000. The 4-week moving average was 3,072,500, a decrease of 13,000 from the preceding week's revised average of 3,085,500.
    UNADJUSTED DATA
    The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 315,657 in the week ending March 23, an increase of 14,706 from the previous week. There were 323,373 initial claims in the comparable week in 2012.
    The advance unadjusted insured unemployment rate was 2.6 percent during the week ending March 16, a decrease of 0.1 percentage point from the prior week's unrevised rate. The advance unadjusted number for persons claiming UI benefits in state programs totaled 3,379,090, a decrease of 82,403 from the preceding week's revised level of 3,461,493. A year earlier, the rate was 2.9 percent and the volume was 3,699,473.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon_view View Post
    <<And since we don't actually have a plan to pay it back>>

Really. LOL....when was there ever a plan to pay any of the debt back by any president of the right and for that matter any congress preson of the right?
    A small/management amount of public debt is okay because it creates it creates stable investment (treasury bonds) for private citizens (analogous to the Navy sinking an old ship to create an artificial reef for fish, coral, scuba divers).

Our debt is reaching levels now where if (when) interest rates return to normal levels, the interest payments alone will crush our federal budget.

I just read something that claimed that Alex Rodriguez will be making more this season than the entire Houston Astros playing roster combined.

If you want a metaphor for whats wrong with our economy, there it is.

I just read something that claimed that Alex Rodriguez will be making more this season than the entire Houston Astros playing roster combined.

If you want a metaphor for whats wrong with our economy, there it is.
    Somebody who is (errr, was, sorry A-Rod) good at their job will get paid well and mediocre people will not? That's what wrong with our economy?

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Somebody who is (errr, was, sorry A-Rod) good at their job will get paid well and mediocre people will not? That's what wrong with our economy?
    If by "good at their job" you mean "cheated his way to the top, got paid the highest contract in baseball history, got caught cheating, suffered no ramifications, and now continues to get paid the highest contract in baseball even though he doesn't really play any more," then yes, A-Rod is awesome at his job. And If I could be that awesome at my job, I'm hoping that my company will reward me the same way.

If by "good at their job" you mean "cheated his way to the top, got paid the highest contract in baseball history, got caught cheating, suffered no ramifications, and now continues to get paid the highest contract in baseball even though he doesn't really play any more," then yes, A-Rod is awesome at his job. And If I could be that awesome at my job, I'm hoping that my company will reward me the same way.
    First, A-Rod didn't cheat his way to his top. He was a five tool player since high school and didn't start taking PEDs until after his record-breaking contract with the Texas Rangers.

Secondly, lol, another conversation about banks.

Third, all the money in baseball contracts is guaranteed (unlike the NFL) thanks to the MLB Players Union. So blame Donald Fehr if you think it's wrong A-Rod is making $28 million/year sitting at home.

Fourthly, I don't know what point you were trying to prove? Were you talking about the banks? The banks CEOs? Just the "wealthy" in general? Please clarify so I can continue my assault on your point.

First, A-Rod didn't cheat his way to his top. He was a five tool player since high school and didn't start taking PEDs until after his record-breaking contract with the Texas Rangers.

Secondly, lol, another conversation about banks.

Third, all the money in baseball contracts is guaranteed (unlike the NFL) thanks to the MLB Players Union. So blame Donald Fehr if you think it's wrong A-Rod is making $28 million/year sitting at home.

Fourthly, I don't know what point you were trying to prove? Were you talking about the banks? The banks CEOs? Just the "wealthy" in general? Please clarify so I can continue my assault on your point.
    To paraphrase Sosa from Scarface: "I like you Keven....there is no lying in you."

Firstly....he admitted to taking steroids as far back as 2003 when with the Rangers.....that's what he has admitted because he got caught. He is now under investigation again for being linked to this new PED scandal in Florida. Let's just say that everything he has ever accomplished as a major leaguer is suspect based upon this type of information.

Secondly....banks lol

Thirdly....Ahh I see what you did here. Blame the eeeebil unions. Well in this case I'm right with you. I am no fan of the MLB players union, or really any professional sports union. Actually I blame the Yankees. They could have voided A-Rod's contract the second they found out he had cheated to get it. But A-Rod was "too big to fail." Ahhh, see there's the point I was looking for that you could assault

Fourthly....my point is that in general, cheaters do prosper, and then continue to get rewarded for it even after they get caught. You could make a billion analogies on both sides of the aisle. Turbo-tax Timmy would be a great example for the right to use.

Firstly....he admitted to taking steroids as far back as 2003 when with the Rangers.....that's what he has admitted because he got caught. He is now under investigation again for being linked to this new PED scandal in Florida. Let's just say that everything he has ever accomplished as a major leaguer is suspect based upon this type of information.
    Well, his first big contract was signed in 2001 and he said in that 60 Minutes interview he started taking them in 2003 to live up to the hype of the biggest contract in professional sports. If you want to blame his equally big 2007 extension with the Yankees on "prospering after cheating" go ahead.

Secondly....banks lol
    I assumed you were talking about the banks again. As I've said before, I have something silly in my "political beliefs" line on Facebook so I get ads from both the right and left, and lately I've been seeing a lot of ads for some stupid left-wing PAC saying "Support Elizabeth Warren and tell your Congressman you want the government to take the banks to court!"

Fourthly....my point is that in general, cheaters do prosper, and then continue to get rewarded for it even after they get caught. You could make a billion analogies on both sides of the aisle. Turbo-tax Timmy would be a great example for the right to use.
    Not always. Duke Cunningham and Jesse Jackson, Jr. got caught. I had another two paragraphs of classic Keven text blocks defending the banks but since you weren't even talking about the banks, I omitted them.

Well, his first big contract was signed in 2001 and he said in that 60 Minutes interview he started taking them in 2003 to live up to the hype of the biggest contract in professional sports. If you want to blame his equally big 2007 extension with the Yankees on "prospering after cheating" go ahead.

I assumed you were talking about the banks again. As I've said before, I have something silly in my "political beliefs" line on Facebook so I get ads from both the right and left, and lately I've been seeing a lot of ads for some stupid left-wing PAC saying "Support Elizabeth Warren and tell your Congressman you want the government to take the banks to court!"

Not always. Duke Cunningham and Jesse Jackson, Jr. got caught. I had another two paragraphs of classic Keven text blocks defending the banks but since you weren't even talking about the banks, I omitted them.
    Wow. I'd like to see that classic Kevin defending the banks stuff. I like the fact that warren holds the banks accountable for reasons they brought on. It's not like congress did anything but throw money their way, not to mention that classic foot dragging of the GOP with approvals where bank oversight mattered.

I won't comment on arod for you seem to be more debative with bd than committed to a position of defending his a$$. Sports has its divas just like music. They rise and fall and its all based on mob opinion.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    I won't comment on arod for you seem to be more debative with bd than committed to a position of defending his a$$. Sports has its divas just like music. They rise and fall and its all based on mob opinion.
    I don't care about A-Rod or what he makes. Nobody held a gun to the Yankees' head when they signed him. BD's analogy just seemed silly to me. And I didn't know if he was talking about the banks or the 1% or what kind of analogy he was trying to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    Wow. I'd like to see that classic Kevin defending the banks stuff. I like the fact that warren holds the banks accountable for reasons they brought on. It's not like congress did anything but throw money their way, not to mention that classic foot dragging of the GOP with approvals where bank oversight mattered.
    Not really defending the banks. They stink, they charge too many fees, and I don't like them. But, strictly speaking, what they did prior to 2008 with subprime mortgages, CDOs and ABSes was all legal after the banking industry was deregulated. Stupid? Yes. Reckless? Yes. A moral hazard since they knew they would be bailed out? Yes. But, not largely not illegal, aside from the relatively little things they've been fined for in the past few years. Re-regulating the banking industry is one thing, but holding hearings and investigations over what culminated in 2008 seems pointless. The chickens are already out of the coop.