Page 653 of 730 FirstFirst ... 153553603643649650651652653654655656657663703 ... LastLast
Results 9,781 to 9,795 of 10944

Re: Economic News/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    Your examples were from the current method used for numbers that make up the GDP, and not from upcoming changes.
    Yes, that's what I was talking about... the current method used. The mention of future stuff was merely an "aside comment". After having that explained to you some posts back, you of course, continue to chase the "other thing", because, well, that's what you do.

But thanks to you, I now know changes are coming.
    Again, that's not what I was talking about. So you're using that as a jump off point to make derogatory comments. That's fine. Chase a squirrel. Here we go, let's get to it...

I took a little time googling your quote. From what I can tell it came from Patterico's Pontifications from his linked source Seeking Alpha Blog from his Financial Times linked source. I swear, following the viral posts on topics from the right is like watching kids play Telephone.

According to your presumed source for this, it's all about Obama. Specifically, "Obama Manipulates the GDP Number to Manipulate You". No wonder you feel it is all BS.

There's a problem though. Patterico is feeding you BS.
    There's one problem in your little reconstruction exercise... it isn't how I got there. And for what its worth, its not about Obama. I didn't mention Obama. If you want to make it about Obama, that's fine, but projecting that onto my post is incorrect.

Your quote describes the current method of determining GDP:

Why? Because the explanation of his position comes not from the upcoming changes, but from "the March 1998 SURVEY OF CURRENT BUSINESS".

Worse still, Patterico argues that it is the current method that is flawed and doesn't point out any upcoming changes, uses the writings of a chemical engineer posing as an economist, while ignoring a large report that that BEA produced that explains the what and why.
    Again, and I guess this has to be restated umpteen times for you to get it through your cranium, my post was not about upcoming changes, they were only mentioned as an aside. About Patterico, I didn't read it before and will not now... "deconstructing your post" is not how I wanna spend my day. But I'll give ya a few minutes. And I notice, just like in the global warming thread, you're going after writers' credentials again. You are one very predictable person.

And let's be clear here, the what and why you speak of is what's ridiculous. I've offered you the opportunity to explain how the hiring of a government worker adds to the GDP and you simply fall back on "this is how its done". We know that otoc. So you spent a lot of time doing what you do and you have zip, nada, zilch about this. How its done is not in dispute here.

As to it being all about Obama:
    Again, that seems to be your agenda, I hadn't mentioned him.

Interesting that you brought up this strawman, squirrel, or whatever you like to complain about:
    Strawman? You'd be more accurate calling me a seer, because the prediction turned out to be correct. You did exactly what I said you would and now call it a strawman.

Yeah jeez. Talk about wasting my time to research and deconstruct your posts, just like the Global Warming thread with scoot's posts.
    Its your choice how to spend your time. Like your global warming deconstructions (notice you ain't there much anymore), you flatlined here... chasing a subject of your own and trying to project it on someone else.

Uber Fail.

Because Obama.
    So you say.

Befuddled by your post, I checked my history and this is where I got it from: http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/...ment_purc.html

Your claim: "uses the writings of a chemical engineer posing as an economist"... I had to check, because your discrediting tactics are usually pure bunk and bulldung. Guess what? They are again. Well blow me down!!! Surprise, surprise, he's not a chemical engineer.

Garett Jones is BB&T Professor for the Study of Capitalism at the Mercatus Center and Associate Professor of Economics at George Mason University.

Professor Jones investigates how cognitive skills like IQ matter more for nations than for individuals; a slide presentation of this research is here. He has also published papers on monetary economics, bankruptcy as a bailout alternative, fiscal stimulus, and the political economy of the federal debt. His work has appeared in journals such as the Journal of Monetary Economics, the Journal of Economic Growth, the Asian Development Review, and the Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.

In addition to his academic work, Professor Jones has also served as Economic Policy Adviser to Senator Orrin Hatch and as a staff economist to the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress.

His recent media appearances include The Washington Post, The New York Times, Fox Business, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and The Wall Street Journal.

Professor Jones received his PhD in economics from the University of California, San Diego. He received his BA in history from Brigham Young University, his MPA from Cornell, and his MA in political science from the University of California, Berkeley.

His GMU homepage, focusing on his academic research, is mason.gmu.edu/~gjonesb. His Mercatus homepage, with links to audio and video, is mercatus.org/garett-jones.

Garett Jones is a Guest Blogger on EconLog.
    otoc, you're one big arsed waste of time and energy.

I just pissed away ten minutes answering your pile of projections, fabrications and bulldung. I guess there's some fun in it. Good morning. Now I'm gonna be gettin' some fresh coffee in my cup.

Last edited by Dutchcedar; 05-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Yes, that's what I was talking about... the current method used. The mention of future stuff was merely an "aside comment". After having that explained to you some posts back, you of course, continue to chase the "other thing", because, well, that's what you do.

Again, that's not what I was talking about. So you're using that as a jump off point to make derogatory comments. That's fine. Chase a squirrel. Here we go, let's get to it...

There's one problem in your little reconstruction exercise... it isn't how I got there. And for what its worth, its not about Obama. I didn't mention Obama. If you want to make it about Obama, that's fine, but projecting that onto my post is incorrect.

Again, and I guess this has to be restated umpteen times for you to get it through your cranium, my post was not about upcoming changes, they were only mentioned as an aside. About Patterico, I didn't read it before and will not now... "deconstructing your post" is not how I wanna spend my day. But I'll give ya a few minutes. And I notice, just like in the global warming thread, you're going after writers' credentials again. You are one very predictable person.

And let's be clear here, the what and why you speak of is what's ridiculous. I've offered you the opportunity to explain how the hiring of a government worker adds to the GDP and you simply fall back on "this is how its done". We know that otoc. So you spent a lot of time doing what you do and you have zip, nada, zilch about this. How its done is not in dispute here.

Again, that seems to be your agenda, I hadn't mentioned him.

Strawman? You'd be more accurate calling me a seer, because the prediction turned out to be correct. You did exactly what I said you would and now call it a strawman.

Its your choice how to spend your time. Like your global warming deconstructions (notice you ain't there much anymore), you flatlined here... chasing a subject of your own and trying to project it on someone else.

Uber Fail.

So you say.

Befuddled by your post, I checked my history and this is where I got it from: http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/...ment_purc.html

Your claim: "uses the writings of a chemical engineer posing as an economist"... I had to check, because your discrediting tactics are usually pure bunk and bulldung. Guess what? They are again. Well blow me down!!! Surprise, surprise, he's not a chemical engineer.

otoc, you're one big arsed waste of time and energy.

I just pissed away ten minutes answering your pile of projections, fabrications and bulldung. I guess there's some fun in it. Good morning. Now I'm gonna be gettin' some fresh coffee in my cup.

You know dutch, this brings up a comment I made earlier that you objected to. That you guys seem to be going by new rules.

I gave you links, was very careful with my choice of words and kinda expected this type of response.

Guideline #2:
    Treat all other members with more respect than they deserve. Further than not using personal insults, or attacking members in print, Avoid the habit of dismissing them because you feel they are wrong. If you believe they are incorrect, use sound reasoning to explain why, and extend them the courtesy of being polite about it.
    I really think you three remaining mods should rewrite the rules so that we are all on the same playing field.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

You know dutch, this brings up a comment I made earlier that you objected to. That you guys seem to be going by new rules.
    I'll restate it for you. There are no new rules.

I gave you links, was very careful with my choice of words and kinda expected this type of response.
    Are you unhappy that you got what you kinda expected? Would you like to file a complaint? PM me if you need help with where to log your complaint.

I really think you three remaining mods should rewrite the rules so that we are all on the same playing field.
    The rules are fine as they are. Just checked and there are no recent rule complaints.

Re: Very Disturbing

So the economy just keeps getting better and better according to all the media and government statistics. Ask the typical American though and you'll get a far, far different answer.

If you really want to know how the economy is doing, don’t ask an economist. Ask someone who still aspires to be in the middle class. “Over the last four years, Americans’ views in this poll have been consistently right about the economy,” said Allstate CEO Thomas J. Wilson in a press release “Today, they are sounding the alarm bell that the economy is not on track for sustainable growth.”

Only 29% believe the nation is headed in the “right direction,” down from 41% just last November. So much for the big vote.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mid...ion-2013-05-01

Many thanks for usual thoughtful contribution that has nothing to do with the topic discussed.
    You are most welcome sir!

jimz isn't giving us his weekly updates on jobs, so I poked around.

This is the news for the month...

Terrible!!! Unexpected!!! Bam!!!

That's a link, btw.

I think the red link thing is a psychological barrier...I got an ITV (Internet Transmitted Virus) from clicking on a red link once. But I was young, and it was spring break....

^^^ Had I known it causes ya to have bad vibes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    jimz isn't giving us his weekly updates on jobs, so I poked around.

This is the news for the month...

Terrible!!! Unexpected!!! Bam!!!

That's a link, btw.
    The Obama administration just sent out a revised update on this Dutch.

^^^

going on 4 years after the recession ended...
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Jobs are coming back! The economic recovery is in full swing! Everything is great and thanks for voting hope and change back in suckers! Ok, now the truth behind all of the Obama ass kissing media's BS numbers.

People working part time, referred to as “involuntary part-time workers” because their hours had been cut or they were unable to find full-time work, rose by 322,000 to 8.2 million.

That reflects a disturbing trend in this recovery that the recent job growth has come in sectors that tend to be low-paying, such as leisure, retail and hospitality, and in temporary work. At 7.6%, the rate of joblessness is a striking improvement from the 10% rate of four years ago, but it is still uncomfortably higher than the average 6% unemployment rate for the 24 years before the recession started.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/job...dist=countdown

So in other words, Starbucks and Micky D's are having no problems finding job applicants, um, as long as you just want to work part-time that is. For *some* reason, something has "Changed" in the last few years that has employers not wanting to hire any full timers. Oh it's ok though, now you can work less and pick up any extra money you need for groceries via food stamps!

Hmmmm......wondering how much the Nanny State handouts will be cut - must be some cuts coming, Obama and his cronies certainly wouldn'd just cut Defense Spending? Or would they? Maybe they just haven't announced them yet? What happened to all the savings that came after cutting the F-22 program? Where did all the money go from the latest round of tobacco taxes?

Is it possible that going into year 5 of Obamanomics that the US Economy is still limping along?

Geez this is my 6666 post on the forums! Guess the 4x6 number (6666) must represent Obama.....
    Last edited by SteveW; 07-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.

(D)emorat legislation is great, it all has the same effect on the economy!

You could replace "comprehensive immigration reform" with "comprehensive healthcare reform" and you'd never know they were pitching different legislation.

Why hell.. I'll bet using this kind of interchangeable boilerplate and some silly slogan aimed at children you could probably capture nearly every (D) vote.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I'll bet using this kind of interchangeable boilerplate and some silly slogan aimed at children you could probably capture nearly every vote.
    Is that why you make these posts?
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.