Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Re: The Boinc Bar!

Hey Ned, do we have a decent thread here for Quad hardware? I'm shoppin' parts and would love to bounce a few ideas around. The only thing I'm sure about is the PSU, I'm still trying to figure out if the hardware is Quad compatible and freindly... Mobos, PSUs, Memory... its right for too many forums, and wrong for all of 'em 'nStuff.

If one doesn't exist yet, where should I start it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Hey Ned, do we have a decent thread here for Quad hardware? I'm shoppin' parts and would love to bounce a few ideas around. The only thing I'm sure about is the PSU, I'm still trying to figure out if the hardware is Quad compatible and friendly... Mobos, PSUs, Memory... its right for too many forums, and wrong for all of 'em 'nStuff.

What size and and brand of psu? Hopefully one with a single +12v rail I'd hope as that is the direction I'm going as I have two like that now, I might even have a 3rd one If I can ever get the danged thing from Uniquely Pathetic Service, Who delivered It to not only the wrong city, But also the wrong address and If It isn't there UPS better pay up for the full $100 as It was clearly labeled on the box Calico Blvd and Yermo, Not Calico Street and Newberry Springs....... They've delivered here before so they have no excuse for this deliberate sabotage of the delivery of My psu.... And I don't care Who I have to talk to to get It either.

I was wondering about a few of 'em, frankly. My idea for a new machine is to have onboard graphics and one Hard Drive... no overclocking planned. Parts List, VERY subject to updating as soon as I learn any facts:

The Quad Unit

Hope that link works 'nStuff.

I was wondering about a few of 'em, frankly. My idea for a new machine is to have onboard graphics and one Hard Drive... no overclocking planned. Parts List, VERY subject to updating as soon as I learn any facts:

The Quad Unit

Hope that link works 'nStuff.
    Yeah It works fluff, Still no psu eh?

Most motherboards like that don't overclock and If You want a Q6600 cpu, Avoid i945 chipset and earlier motherboards as they may support dual core cpus, But no quads. At least Your motherboard is a modern one.

I have a Question for You, Why XP Pro and not XP x64?

Look again; I listed the Zalman PSU... the ZM 500HP. It's one of the things I'm wondering about... I like the silent, for my uses I think the power is sufficient, but it DOES have two 12V lines, and so I don't know if it will support a quad, even if not OC'd.

AS for Windows, I didn't even choose pro... I chose XP Home. I'm going to be using this as my main photography machine, so I DO still need stable, mature drivers.... and as far as I've heard, XP64 is still iffy with some of my equipment 'nStuff.

Since this will be my main rig, I'll need it to be more stable than I need to get every little erg of power out of it... it's so much faster in each core than the machine I'm using now that I'm not going to feel like I'm missing anything!

Look again; I listed the Zalman PSU... the ZM 500HP. It's one of the things I'm wondering about... I like the silent, for my uses I think the power is sufficient, but it DOES have two 12V lines, and so I don't know if it will support a quad, even if not OC'd.

AS for Windows, I didn't even choose pro... I chose XP Home. I'm going to be using this as my main photography machine, so I DO still need stable, mature drivers.... and as far as I've heard, XP64 is still iffy with some of my equipment 'nStuff.

Since this will be my main rig, I'll need it to be more stable than I need to get every little erg of power out of it... it's so much faster in each core than the machine I'm using now that I'm not going to feel like I'm missing anything!
    My mistake, My concentration went poof. Hopefully the psu will be ok, I was going to use a Thermaltake 750w psu for My PC4, But It's staying in PC5 until I have resolved My problem with UPS to My satisfaction. The Ultra X-Connect 500w Titanium psu has a 34A +12v rail, PC4 will ultimately get a SuperMicro 645w psu as It has 46A on It's +12v rail and that for overclocking that should be ok, The Ultra should be ok for a non-overclocked Q6600 cpu though, The Ultra 500w I ordered was for an overclocked E4300 in PC5.
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 07-16-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Hey Ned, do we have a decent thread here for Quad hardware? I'm shoppin' parts and would love to bounce a few ideas around. The only thing I'm sure about is the PSU, I'm still trying to figure out if the hardware is Quad compatible and freindly... Mobos, PSUs, Memory... its right for too many forums, and wrong for all of 'em 'nStuff.

Not seen one good thread Fluff - I've been getting bits of info from all over.

Shall we start one here as there's a few frogs going Quad core who could help with input? (I can split these posts off into a new thread if you'd like).

So you're definitely not planning to overclock?

Motherboards: Generally, any P35 board would be a good bet. Asus and Gigabyte seem popular, so that looks like a good choice if you want onboard graphics.

PSU: The Q6600 draws about 10A (I've seen figures of 105 and 130 Watts) at max load not overclocked, so any high quality 500Watt PSU should do you fine. The Corsair models are extremely popular here so the 520HX would also be an excellent choice (they're based on Seasonics models). If you're planning on overclocking then the PSU becomes critical as you can very quickly approach the 18A limit on a single 12v rail.

Cooling: Is critical. These Q6600 chips run nearly twice as hot as the equivalent Core 2 Duo as they're essentially two C2D's slapped on one die. High end air cooling is probably almost required and certainly don't expect cool temps with the stock cooler. As usual, a lot will depend on your case temps and room temps. The high end air coolers are massive though, so keep that in mind depending upon your case. If you want to replace the stock cooler, then you're probably looking towards something like the Thermalright Ultra-120 plus 120mm fan to see any significant improvement.

Memory: If you're running at stock speeds, then no point in using expensive overclocking RAM. Quality DDR2-800 (or even DDR2-667) should do fine. Also note WinXP 32-bit won't support a full 4 GB, so probably best to stick with 2x1GB RAM). Crucial would be my choice too given their excellent warranty

You guys do know most PSUs, even if listed as having multiple rails, are still single rails just divided up.Had to do that to meet the new standard.

Quote Originally Posted by RATIFIED View Post
    You guys do know most PSUs, even if listed as having multiple rails, are still single rails just divided up.Had to do that to meet the new standard.
    It depends on the PSU and how it's implemented.

Some use genuinely separated rails, others are single rails split with current limiters, and yet others have now reverted to single large rail.

It only really becomes an issue when you have one (or more) very power hungry device sharing a single current limited rail - such as a heavily overclocked Quad or quad SLi graphics cards that overload the 18A limit (if it's current limited) on a single rail. For most users, an 18A limit on a single rail is sufficient at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Not seen one good thread Fluff - I've been getting bits of info from all over.

Shall we start one here as there's a few frogs going Quad core who could help with input? (I can split these posts off into a new thread if you'd like).
    I think that would be a fine plan, Ned... lots of Quad stuff in individual forums, but nothing centering around a whole system. I think it might be popular, too... :shrug:

...and no, I don't plan to OC the rig. Like I said, my current machine is an XP M3500+ with a Gforce 4 vid card... onboard graphics will be a step up, and the difference between the CPUs is a yawning canyon. After a 16x increase in speed, overclocking it to 17 x would be a minor accomplishment 'nStuff.

Besides, I'll be doing my Photowork in this rig, I can't afford for it to be down if I mess up the BIOS 'nStuff.

Split here from the Boinc Bar

I think that would be a fine plan, Ned... lots of Quad stuff in individual forums, but nothing centering around a whole system. I think it might be popular, too... :shrug:

...and no, I don't plan to OC the rig. Like I said, my current machine is an XP M3500+ with a Gforce 4 vid card... onboard graphics will be a step up, and the difference between the CPUs is a yawning canyon. After a 16x increase in speed, overclocking it to 17 x would be a minor accomplishment 'nStuff.

Besides, I'll be doing my Photowork in this rig, I can't afford for it to be down if I mess up the BIOS 'nStuff.
    Yep - that makes sense re the overclocking

I just saw some benchies for Photoshop on a quad, and it loves the extra cores. That should be an awesome rig for photo work

Re: The Pond Quad Core Thread

Here you go:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3038&p=1

Take a look at P14, Photo processing performance in Photoshop:

... and I'm on a single core XP 3500. Looks like the speed increase will actually be noticable 'nStuff!

What's your budget?
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay See Bee View Post
    What's your budget?
    Fluctuating!

I went to the mechanix today to get my AC fixed. I'd been putting it off for the last three years; last estimate I had was either $1700 or $100/hr + parts until they fix it.

Like I said, three years.

Called a place last week, they said it would cost around $800, "More than likely" 'nStuff. :sigh: Fine, it's been a GOOD month, so I'll pony up... dropped off the truck this morning, got a call two hours later: "It's ready... that'll cost you $96.00"

Me: "Does it work?!?"
    Mechanix: "yeah, all it needed was a recharge."
    Me: "But... the compressor... it doesn't spin... the clutch won't engage..."
    Mechanix: "Sure it does."
    Me: "Are you sure that's all it needs?!?"
    Mechanix: "Well, if you want, I can start putting in new parts. Where do you want me to start?"
    Me: "No no no no no.... I"ll be right down!"

Then I found out my radiator hoses would cost $120.00 each. :sigh:

In the end, I'm lookin' at around a grand. I have a case, I have a DVD Burner. I have a monitor.