Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Re: The Pond Quad Core Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTennessee View Post
    Question - With the new Intel 1333 FSB cpus, if I am going to run it at stock speed then all I need is DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) memory for 1:1 - correct.
    Thanks
    That is correct...... sure you don't want to overclock a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Hey thelmores, when the Mrs says "I don't care, do whatever the heck you like", apparently that is NOT authorization for you to go ahead and build your dream rig
    ...so don't be making that mistake
    No my wife does as yours..... get what you want, but if you do, that means I get what I want!

A Quad is probably cheap compared to what she wants!

Yea, I'll overclock it.... looking at PC2 6400 or 8500.

Also looking at the GIGA G33 board - time for a mATX maybe.

Then think about a Quad. or maybe the Quad first on a mATX to see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores View Post
    That is correct...... sure you don't want to overclock a little?

No my wife does as yours..... get what you want, but if you do, that means I get what I want!

A Quad is probably cheap compared to what she wants!

I think the standard ratio is 15:1; every dollar you spend , she gets 15.

Woohoo - those new quad prices have hit the shelves in the UK

Mr delivery man brought me a new hard disk today, 320GB Samsung with 16MB cache, so now I'm just waiting on the Quad, motherboard and gfx card and I'm ready to go

Woohoo - those new quad prices have hit the shelves in the UK

Mr delivery man brought me a new hard disk today, 320GB Samsung with 16MB cache, so now I'm just waiting on the Quad, motherboard and gfx card and I'm ready to go
    I'm still waiting for those darn prices to go down

I think they'll wait after July 22nd to start lowering the prices
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay See Bee View Post
    I'm still waiting for those darn prices to go down

I think they'll wait after July 22nd to start lowering the prices
    We're pretty much at those levels now... about $290 US plus tax. They may drop a little more next week, but I think we're more or less at the final price we'll see.

Newegg is still $400:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115017

We're pretty much at those levels now... about $290 US plus tax. They may drop a little more next week, but I think we're more or less at the final price we'll see.

Newegg is still $400:

If I recall Newegg was at $480 on Tuesday then $430 yesterday and now $400 today. At least it's going down
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

We're pretty much at those levels now... about $290 US plus tax.
    That's the kind of price I wanna see soon
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay See Bee View Post
    That's the kind of price I wanna see soon
    One would hope next week, maybe

Newegg is still $400:

Prices have just shot back up in the UK. Apparently, Intel asked suppliers NOT to reduce prices until Monday and have threatened to withhold stock to any supplier caught cutting prices early.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

tigerdirect has a barebones Quad setup for $599......

http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem...CMP=ILC-FPM03B

has some high powered 533mhz ram!

People, if you are building a Quad, you want all the memory bandwidth you can get! Seems at 533mhz, cores would be fighting over bandwidth!

Not seen one good thread Fluff - I've been getting bits of info from all over.

Shall we start one here as there's a few frogs going Quad core who could help with input? (I can split these posts off into a new thread if you'd like).

So you're definitely not planning to overclock?

Motherboards: Generally, any P35 board would be a good bet. Asus and Gigabyte seem popular, so that looks like a good choice if you want onboard graphics.

PSU: The Q6600 draws about 10A (I've seen figures of 105 and 130 Watts) at max load not overclocked, so any high quality 500Watt PSU should do you fine. The Corsair models are extremely popular here so the 520HX would also be an excellent choice (they're based on Seasonics models). If you're planning on overclocking then the PSU becomes critical as you can very quickly approach the 18A limit on a single 12v rail. I do have a minimum single +12v rail psu for dual cores, But this is the Quad core thread.

Cooling: Is critical. These Q6600 chips run nearly twice as hot as the equivalent Core 2 Duo as they're essentially two C2D's slapped on one die. High end air cooling is probably almost required and certainly don't expect cool temps with the stock cooler. As usual, a lot will depend on your case temps and room temps. The high end air coolers are massive though, so keep that in mind depending upon your case. If you want to replace the stock cooler, then you're probably looking towards something like the Thermalright Ultra-120 plus 120mm fan to see any significant improvement.

Memory: If you're running at stock speeds, then no point in using expensive overclocking RAM. Quality DDR2-800 (or even DDR2-667) should do fine. Also note WinXP 32-bit won't support a full 4 GB, so probably best to stick with 2x1GB RAM). Crucial would be my choice too given their excellent warranty
    Motherboards:I happen to like Abit and they have the IP35, So far It looks good too.

Me I'm not crazy about Asus or Gigabyte motherboards & I have a few reasons:

• Gigabyte first.
    • Bios chip is soldered down, If the Bios goes(It has happened twice to Me so far), It's teardown time of a PC...
    • The high end motherboards have a plate on the back that if removed or modified will void the warranty, This plate will interfere with many Heatsinks and Waterblocks, Except for Intel Retail type mounts of course.
    • Asus on the other hand has It's own niggles, Mainly an over aggressive temp warning that is mostly phony, Too low for TEC based heatsinks.
    • Asus has been noted on their P35 motherboards (P5K series) to be a bit power hungry by some reviewers on the web, vs others that don't seem to share this peoblem.

PSU: I'm moving away from limited +12v multi-rail psu crap, To Single rail psus that have some real muscle, For Quads My minimum will be the SM(SuperMicro) 645w psu as It has 46A on It's single +12v rail, Note: This psu has no sata or pci-e cables at all, For those wanting sata and pci-e I'd suggest the 650w Silverstone OP650 w/54A or the 750w OP750 model w/60A psus(Depends on what one equips the cruncher with).

Cooling: I use mostly vigor Monsoon II cpu coolers and have bought one Ultra ChillTEC cpu cooler for PC6, They work pretty good as a whole(Their better with Duos than Quads, But they do work with Quads, Their just warmer of course) and you'd better keep the room cool too, Like below 85F or the alarm will go off If You overclock them like I do(You'll see It flashing RED and hear It too). Oh and I replace the stock cooling of the NB chip with the best available solution to fit the motherboard in question(PW5 DHD=Noctua NC-U6 w/a 70mm delta fan, AW9D-MAX=HR-05 w/a 70mm delta fan), Also I'm going to yank the Mosfet heatsink in the P5W and replace It with an HR-09U heatsink as I don't know If the NB heatsink heatpipe can be removed from the stock Mosfet heatsink or not.

Memory: I can't really add much to It, As I have both PC2-8000 Gold and PC2-6400 Platinum OCZ Dimms, The PC2-8000 does overclock pretty well on My AW9D-MAX motherboard and the one dimm runs at 374MHz(Yeah I said one). The PC2-6400 Dimms on the other hand don't go quite so high as It barely clears 306MHz, I had It at 408MHz for a bit, But It may not have been able to hold that speed as It might be a psu issue(Not enough Amps).

Main Drives: Of course sata connectors aren't needed with Raptors as they have Molex and Sata power connections. And yeah I like Raptors, Although I do keep one Seagate around for excess storage capacity(Downloads and what not).

Optical Drives: These either have Old Connectors or New Sata Connectors, I haven't yet seen one with both type of power connectors and a Sata data connection.

Drive Connectors: Sata power connectors are all on the far side of the drive and are set for the failed BTX platform Intel tried to foist on US, At the moment the connectors are arranged in the wrong order, It should be power cable connectors first, Then Data, Maybe somebody someday will see that the current setup is a royal pain(Besides Me that is, Everyone say, Where's the Flashlight[Torch for Ned]).
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 07-20-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    Me I'm not crazy about Asus or Gigabyte motherboards & I have a few reasons:

[list][*] Gigabyte first.[*] The high end motherboards have a plate on the back that if removed or modified will void the warranty, This plate will interfere with many Heatsinks and Waterblocks, Except for Intel Retail type mounts of course.
    That's only on the DQ6 models, and there's detailed instructions in the motherboard manual on how to remove if necessary if it's not compatible with your heatsink, so I seriously doubt that would void your warranty

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores View Post
    People, if you are building a Quad, you want all the memory bandwidth you can get! Seems at 533mhz, cores would be fighting over bandwidth!
    You'd think, but initial tests don't show that to be the case. Benchmarks on the new 1333fsb CPUs show very little improvement (<5%) over the older 1066fsb chips, and certainly not proportional to the 25% increase in fsb. Not sure if they kept memory in sync or not for those tests.

Anyway, there's no reason not to buy DDR2-800 or even DDR2-1024 memory given the current prices