Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: The Pond Quad Core Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    That's only on the DQ6 models, and there's detailed instructions in the motherboard manual on how to remove if necessary if it's not compatible with your heatsink, so I seriously doubt that would void your warranty
    So Gigabyte changed some, ok, Now how about the Bios chip? As long as that is soldered down I wouldn't touch It as It's a pain in the neck.

Hopefully It's not simply a Jedi mind trick.
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 07-20-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    So Gigabyte changed some, ok, Now how about the Bios chip? As long as that is soldered down I wouldn't touch It as It's a pain in the neck.

Hopefully It's not simply a Jedi mind trick.
    If you've fried your bios, most MB vendors are going to RMA the board. I don't know many that would send out a new bios chip and expect the user to perform a swap (I don't know that many users that would be happy extracting and replacing a bios chip, or have the correct tools to even do it!). Either way, you're going to be down until a replacement arrives so I don't really see the problem.

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

You'd think, but initial tests don't show that to be the case. Benchmarks on the new 1333fsb CPUs show very little improvement (<5%) over the older 1066fsb chips, and certainly not proportional to the 25% increase in fsb. Not sure if they kept memory in sync or not for those tests.
    Interesting indeed..... I'd like to see some reviews on this!

But you are right Ned, the price between 667 to 800 is so small, the higher speed makes sense........

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores View Post
    Interesting indeed..... I'd like to see some reviews on this!
    Here Ryan reviewed the new 1333fsb 2.66GHz 6750 vs the original 1066fsb 2.66GHz 6700:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=1

A few other sites have done similar reviews and found no real performance improvement moving to a 1333fsb. Generally increased clock speed (MHz) seems to yield more than high fsb. Of course us overclockers are likely going to be pushing the fsb as high as it will stably go anyway, so it's all kind of irrelevant. There also doesn't seem to be so much of a performance hit by running memory out of sync as there was on the old chipsets we used for Athlon XP etc.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

As for those TEC coolers Joker... I would think that the variable fan speed would drive me crazy more than a constant hum! I can appreciate how well they'd work, though.

I'm looking at the Tuniq Tower 120... hear anything bad about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    As for those TEC coolers Joker... I would think that the variable fan speed would drive me crazy more than a constant hum! I can appreciate how well they'd work, though.

No, I haven't, But there are a few over at xtremesys.org that don't like the cooler I prefer and are extreme Tuniq fans, They think It's the best thing since sliced bread, Me I like something not so loud as the Tuniq sounds like It would require a loud fan. In any case I'm happy with that at least, In a week I'll be able to see My next edison bill, hopefully I won't go when I see It. As cooling would then be the biggest cost around here, But Hey It's a desert here.

The Tuniq is a good cooler. I dont have one, but have heard good things about it. Also check out the Thermal take V1. I have one on my OC'd 4400+ and it keeps it in the mid 40s running BOINC and at case/ambient temp at idle.

That will be a great choice Fluff - should keep you're quad nice and cool at stock speeds. I certainly wouldn't go for anything less

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Sub $300....... but not by much!

From Newegg...............

BX80562Q6600 CPUs / Processors
    View Pic

Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5 [90]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

* 64 bit Support: Yes
    * FSB: 1066MHz
    * Hyper-Threading Support: No
    * L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
    * Model #: BX80562Q6600
    * Item #: N82E16819115017
    * Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Combo Special

* Free 3 Business Day Shipping
    * Your Price:$299.99

Mwave has it at $280! :0

Chips here in the UK predominantly still seem to be the old B3 steppings. Not seen any new G0 steppings yet. Some places allow you to pre-order a G0 stepping, but they don't have any stock.

Heh... NewEgg is out of stock...

Heh... NewEgg is out of stock...
    Not a surprise, Of course right now there are 43 on ebay and 29 are Buy It nows and the lowest Buy It now is one for $315.99, Shipping is $15.99, I think I'll just have to wait as I have a few other problems to fix first.

$280.00 at ClubIT right now, While their in stock.
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 07-23-2007 at 11:52 AM.

NewEgg has 'em back in stock... for $375! So much for factory pricing... Smart move for Intel; they can let the channel make a few more bucks selling Intel chips than AMD... very smart.

Still, I hope the price drops within a couple of weeks so I can save a few bucks!

NewEgg has 'em back in stock... for $375! So much for factory pricing... Smart move for Intel; they can let the channel make a few more bucks selling Intel chips than AMD... very smart.

Still, I hope the price drops within a couple of weeks so I can save a few bucks!
    That's expensive. We're seeing prices around the $299 mark.

Looks like supply and demand as they're out of stock. If stock's low, they figure they can bump up the price as they're gonna sell what they have anyway.

Chips here in the UK predominantly still seem to be the old B3 steppings. Not seen any new G0 steppings yet. Some places allow you to pre-order a G0 stepping, but they don't have any stock.
    At my favorite toronto store it's $320 Canada. Maybe Americans can order online from here
    http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails.aspx?id=4832

Ned, there are q6600 with b3 steppings in the channels? How do you know which one has G0?
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B