Unhappy Computer running slow, I am almost SURE it is a xp setting.....

I got a AMD althon XP 2.1GHz, 512Mb memory, a NIVIDIA nforce mainboard, XP Home.

I updated XP with windows udate, IE 7, and this is what it does....

Whenever I load IE it takes about ten seconds until google homepage shows up....

during that time the message at the bottom is "Detecting proxy setings...." then says "http://google.com" and another five seconds then google shows up.

other browsers take ten or so seconds to load.(opera, firefox)

So I thought maybe the network card was crapping out, so I installed a PCI networking card, same thing.

So I switched around network cables...same thing, I hooked up My Compaq LTE Pentium 133 32mb ram loads websites faster!!!!

So I am pretty sure I have a configeration problem in XP.

now what do I check?
    Keep on pumpin' till the oil flows,
    Keep on pumpin' make your dollar grow,
    You can pump more oil at a lower cost,
    When you use a pumpjack like our "iron hoss."

Now our "iron hoss" ain't no choo choo train,
    But it'll pump your oil in snow, sleet, heat, & rain,
    So, give us a call, and give us a test,
    And you'll find out why we're the best.

Re: Computer running slow, I am almost SURE it is a xp setting.....

uninstall google toolbar. ie7 has a short survey for you on 1st run. maybe they conflicting?
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

I did that, still the same thing, it did this before I upgraded to IE7, and like I said it does this in other browsers, so this isn't a IE problem per se.

But I notice like once I load a page like google search, then click google video, it takes forever to load, it is like LAG or somthing, but once it's loaded I can load it faster(I assume IE is reading the cache file)

You basically click a link on a website, and about 5 seconds of LAG and then.. BAM the site is up.

Looking at my connection settings...

I have client for MS networks
    file and print sharing
    QoS packet scheduler
    Microsoft v6 TCP/IP
    Internet protocal TCP/IP

This one machine is the only one doing it, so it HAS to be somthing in this box, either OS or hardware, but how could it be hardware if I disabled the onboard LAN controller and using a add on card...?

I think for starters I'd ad more memory after I ran disk clean up and adaware

Okay, but I figured 512k memory would be plenty with XP and IE 7, so you think it could be not enough memory?

winxp needs at least 1 GB.... vista needs at least 2 GB

max you could use in 98SE effectively was 512 MB

and IE 7 is more bloated than IE 6

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Concepts View Post
    Okay, but I figured 512k memory would be plenty with XP and IE 7, so you think it could be not enough memory?
    On a fairly clean install of XP, 512MB should be easily enough, but 1GB or more is much more desirable. If you have a lot of processes running that (together) take up a large proportion of the available physical RAM, there will have a noticeable effect on how fast programs load and run. Within a single IE window that's already opened, it shouldn't have a significant impact on the speed of the internet. A reasonable estimate of how much the PC is using can be found in Task Manager on the Performance tab.

While I agree with bluefish that adding more memory and doing scans for malicious software is a good thing, I'm also inclined to agree that it could well be a settings issue, especially if your programs are loading fairly quickly and it's just the 'Net that's lagging. First thing I would suggest is to get rid of IPv6. You should only have:

Client for MS Networks
    File and Printer Sharing
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Beyond that, you might also like to try adding your ISP's DNS server addresses to the TCP/IP settings and then run a bunch of malware scanners. Can you download and run HijackThis and copy/paste the contents of the logfile here? Be very careful of what you try to fix with that program as it also lists important system stuff too. You can get HJT at http://merijn.org/

removed v6 protocol. Still slow...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 5:06:56 PM, on 8/2/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\starter.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Home Publishing\MHPRMIND.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4gui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dean\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.2\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fbdirect] C:\PROGRA~1\\scansoft\PAPERP~1\fbdirect.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] C:\WINDOWS\system32\starter.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Greetings Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Home Publishing\MHPRMIND.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...?1174096563196
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (KPF4) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall 4\kpf4ss.exe

--
    End of file - 4483 bytes

This used to work when I did tech support a while back. With IE open go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>LAN Settings and make sure "Automatically detect settings" is NOT checked. Actually make sure nothing in that window is checked.
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

Your logfile is clean. There are three entries with missing files but they won't be affecting the performance.
    • O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    • O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    • O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    If you put a tick next to them and click Fix in HJT, it will remove these entries.

Have you done the malware scan, grumblemarc's suggestion and also added your ISP's DNS addresses to the TCP/IP settings?