Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Major Problem - Soundcard Dead?

Swapping the power supply has brought the Q10 back to life.... But, we'll see how long this one lasts. It seems to be very up and down. By tomorrow it'll probably be back down again.

-tkr

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

Here is a guitar amp I am getting, there are 3 versions of this amp but I will probably get this one.
    I am up for a new guitar as well. I like the Epiphone Les Pauls they sound great and it's easy to change them so the hardware is just like a Gibson sans the Nitrocelluose finish which I could care less about anyway.

I'm off to zap out, I have no more ideas about your system for the moment.
    There is always Plan B to consider. So TTFN

Howie http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=480868
    Last edited by howieh60; 08-23-2007 at 05:21 AM.

It is still working.

I rebooted about 4 or 5 times today, turned the computer off completely a couple times, and uninstalled/reinstalled the driver and it worked every time.

I even put the "bad" stick of RAM back in by itself and it booted into windows just fine and my Q10 drivers loaded fine also.

Maybe that RAM stick isn't bad after all? It seems like a very strange coincidence because I tried all kinds of slots and rebooted several times and that stick would never load by itself. But the other one worked most of the time except for a couple occasions where it locked up also. It looks like the PSU had something to do with this, but I wonder why one stick would never work by itself but the other one would..... Gremlins maybe?

But the PSU appears to be the problem.... Well, at least it has lasted longer than all the other "fixes" thus far. I've already taken this PSU one out and put it back into the family PC so I won't be able to test anymore with it (the natives were getting restless and wanting their computer back). But I don't want to put mine back in if it is dying so no more testing there either.

I'll look into getting another PSU (450 Watt), any particular brands you recommend or brands that I should avoid?

-tkr

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

My personal favorite brand has become PC Power & Cooling , I don't think any company makes a more robust power supply. I started with a 510 watt Turbo cool which is SLI ready has a 5 year warranty and it just oozes quality. OCZ recently purchased PC Power & Cooling and in their press release about the acquisition state that the main reason is to use PC Power & cooling power supplies as the model for all PS's made by the company in the future. So I'll include new power supplies made by OCZ. I have seen a few 510 watt Turbo Cools in the trader forum here and on Ebay for under $100 usually around $85. Thats a reasonable price for a $200 ps.
    I can't count how many people I have seen go after the cheapest ps around after building their dream system and spending upwards of $1500 only to buy a $25 ps for their new computers. A huge mistake when you consider that every single part in your computer case relies on that one part.
    I will never trade off reliability for cheap in any computer I build now

I'll look around and see if I can track down something of quality for you.
    Not knowing your budget for a new PS is a hindering so you feel free to PM me that and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Howie
    Last edited by howieh60; 08-24-2007 at 01:27 AM.

Connecting Point didn't have much of a selection under $80, so I got a 550 Watt for only $30 (it doesn't mention a brand anywhere on the box or the PSU itself, all it says is WT550i). This one is 100 Watts more than I had before, so hopefully it'll hold up for a while.

I put it in before I had to leave and rebooted it a few times, then I let it run with the minimal stuff I had in before (two hard drives and everything disabled in the BIOS), I rebooted it several more times when I got back and it continued to work. Then I plugged everything back in, put the 2nd video card back in, and enabled everything in the BIOS and rebooted several more times and it still works!

I think this did it!!!!

I've said that before, so hopefully I won't end up eating those words. LOL! But this has lasted much longer than all the other fixes. Ever since I took my power supply out the Q10 has worked every single time. Even with all the other stuff that I "thought" were causing problems back in my computer, it's working just fine.

Thanks a lot for all your help Howie you've really gone above and beyond!

Also, be sure to stop by the guitar forum! Maybe we can do a collaboration or something now that my soundcard's working.

I'm tired of dealing with computers, it's MUSIC TIME now!

-tkr