Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Major Problem - Soundcard Dead?

Now this is weird.....

There seems to be a lag of about a minute or so before the Aardvark drivers load. If I check the sounds and audio devices properties and the playback devices aren't there I just let it sit for a minute and they will show up. I tweaked the graphics accelerator also, so maybe this has something to do with why it is working now. I know before even when they were showing up trying to select ASIO drivers in Samplitude would cause it to crash. So I don't know what exactly I did that fixed it. LOL But it seems to be working now.

It's weird now because I don't know what I did that fixed it. LOL But it seems to be working now.

Also windows will sometimes not load when I try to log on (I've let it sit there for over 5 minutes), but after rebooting (once or twice) and it does load it takes less than 2 seconds to log in. So I'm going to try reloading windows again and see if that clears this issue up.

But for the time being IT IS WORKING!! I'll keep you posted if this changes. I'll be giving it a good work out over the next couple days just to be sure.

Thanks again for all your help!

-tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 08-21-2007 at 06:30 AM.

OK, upon further testing..... I don't know what is going on! LOL

I stuck the other vido card back in and the playback devices showed up in the sounds and audio properties, but upon trying to use ASIO drivers in Samplitude it froze up. So I'm quite positive that video card is bad. Then after removing the video card and booting up the playback devices still weren't showing up (waiting well after a minute). I tweaked the graphics accelerator and no change.... So I set it back to normal and rebooted and now it works.

I think I have audio gremlins or something.

-tkr

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

NP Tekker, I haven't got a clue with all the up-down stuff you have got going on. I have gotten so reliant on my ability to hardware test along with running the software that I know my best work comes from my ability to use my test equipment here.

I have set aside the mother board I have and am in standby mode on this problem unless I have a sudden Epiphany

Howie

Well it's back down again....

It was working fine last night. Lasted through several tests and reboots, but I tried rebooting it a few times today and it was still working after the first one, but on the second one it stopped working and I've done several reboots after that and it's still not working. I reloaded the Q10 drivers and still nothing.

The other video card is still out and it's not working. I guess that wasn't it after all.

Out of all the computer problems I've had, this is by far the worst one, because it works for a long time, goes through many tests and it seems to be fixed and then nothing. Soooo frustrating!!!!

I tried running memtest yesterday to test the RAM and there were no errors.

Also, after running memtest I think I may have dual channel RAM because it displayed dual channel on the screen. You said your motherboard doesn't support dual channel?

-tkr

nope no dual channel on that mb, sorry.
    There were 3 versions of that MB made The only one with dual channel has all the bells and whistles, the other 2 do not. That takes nothing away from the quality of the mb though, stripped down versions do not offer SATA as well. Easy enough to add with a $6 expansion card now.
    What I have is the oem version , a whitebox mb if you will. They came with drivers an installation guide and CD and I/O shield but nothing else no ide cables and other stuff typically bundleded with ASUS motherboards

Howie

This looks VERY promising....

While trying to look up how to find the BIOS version I found out about this nifty utility in windows called msinfo32.exe which can be used to check your BIOS version.... Turns out it does a whole lot more. I used this to check my IRQ's and sure enough my video card and Q10 are on the same IRQ (IRQ 19).

Here are the list of IRQs:

IRQ0 System timer
    IRQ1 Keyboard
    IRQ5 Ethernet
    IRQ6 Floppy Disk
    IRQ8 clock
    IRQ9 Microsoft ACPI
    IRQ11 PCI system management
    IRQ13 numeric data processor
    IRQ14 primary IDE
    IRQ18 RAID
    IRQ19 Q10
    IRQ19 Rage Fury Pro {Video}
    IRQ20 Standard openHCD USB
    IRQ20 Standard enhanced PCI to USB
    IRQ21 Standard openHCD USB
    IRQ21 1394 {Network}
    IRQ22 NvDIA N-Force {Network}

I have no idea how to change it (or what to change it to) but this seems to be a very likely source of the problem here....

So to answer your question from before yes, I did have the Rage video card, I thought that was the one I removed from my PC but apparently not.

Also my BIOS version is 1013 created 11/12/2004.

-tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 08-21-2007 at 09:45 PM.

OK, well, um.... It's not the IRQ.

I just moved the card around until I got it into an unused IRQ (IRQ 17) and the problem persists. After reloading the drivers and rebooting a number of times the Q10 devices still won't show up in the sounds and audio devices.

Next on the list.... A google didn't turn up anything more recent than 1013 so I think this is the latest BIOS version.

-tkr
    Last edited by Tekker; 08-21-2007 at 11:46 PM.

I just have been looking at the ASUS support site and the 1013 is the latest
    I had a Yamaha sound card that drove me bonkers doing this type of thing, when it worked awesome sound but drivers would disappear and I reformatted and jumped through more hoops then the circus Lions at Ringling Brothers!

Do you need 2 video cards? don't know what other stuff you do besides the music.

For instance I have 2 in SLI because the money burned a hole in my pocket crawled a couple of feet and wired itself to Texas and a few days later a second video card appeared on a brown truck driven by a former employee of Ringling Brothers, a retired Jugular by the looks of my box.Thank the packing gods for oodles of Styrofoam peanuts.

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by howieh60 View Post
    I just have been looking at the ASUS support site and the 1013 is the latest
    Alright, so that's another thing off the list.

I had a Yamaha sound card that drove me bonkers doing this type of thing, when it worked awesome sound but drivers would disappear and I reformatted and jumped through more hoops then the circus Lions at Ringling Brothers!
    How did you fix it?

Do you need 2 video cards? don't know what other stuff you do besides the music.
    The second monitor is also for music. In my recording programs I can stick the mixer, effects plugins, etc. on the second monitor to free up the main monitor for editing without having to keep opening and closing them. So it's nice to have, but I guess I don't absolutely need to have it.

At the moment it's not even working with just the one video card though. But if we can get it working with one and not two then I will gladly do without as right now I can't do anything. lol

Do you have any more ideas to try? We gotta be getting close as a lot of things have been eliminated as a probable cause.

-tkr

I never could get the Yamaha straightened out. I eventually got a sound blaster Live and have been on the Creative track ever since. I am planing on a new X-FI card however for my new computer. I'm going to install the X-FI Fatal1ty Platinum Pro I have now until the other card starts shipping. my new card will be this one http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php
    I'm going to buy some recording gear as soon as I sell a guitar I have. I purchased it as an investment, but thats no longer a concern so off to a loving new home is where it's going

About the video cards, is one an AGP card? I know one has to be a PCI card
    I know the Rage card is an ATi card but I don't recall those playing nice with Windows XP I have a Rage (forget the whole name) card that has 2 gpu's on it and the first nVidia GeForce 3 64mb's of Ram on that card came with 3d glasses was pretty cool at the time and an Ati Radeon 9500 Pro . My moms computer has an X800 Pro VIVO a Sapphire card.

I'm still trying to imagine why your card keeps acting up, well at least the drivers.
    I asked before have you tried Windows compatibility mode and set it to work in Windows 98 mode?
    The only other things I can think of are all hands on where I plug my Micro2000 POST card in along with my system scan software to see whats up.
    You are a little to far away to manage that, I don't drive anymore anyway.

Howie
    Last edited by howieh60; 08-22-2007 at 04:20 AM.

About the video cards, is one an AGP card?
    Yes, the RAGE card is. This one is still in my computer as it appeared to be working when I removed the other PCI card.

I asked before have you tried Windows compatibility mode and set it to work in Windows 98 mode?
    Are you talking about running the old (98) driver or the new (XP) driver in 98 compatibility mode? The one I'm using is made for XP, so I'm assuming you're talking about using the old driver?

The only other things I can think of are all hands on where I plug my Micro2000 POST card in along with my system scan software to see whats up.
    Is there anyway to run similar tests with software I can download?

I'm compiling a semi-short version of my problem and the things I've tried over the past few weeks to post on the ASUS forum here. Since they deal with ASUS mobo's all the time maybe they will have some ideas for further testing.

I'm going to buy some recording gear as soon as I sell a guitar I have.
    Nice!

If you need any help picking something out, this is one area that I do know very well. It's the least I can do after all you've done to help me.

Are you wanting to record on your PC or get a portable recording unit?

-tkr

I am buying a full on portable studio.
    I was full on into the music scene in Los Angeles for lots of years. When I lived in Hollywood my room mates were from 2 different bands.We threw great parties. A buddy of mine works at A&M in the studios, his neighbor another friend of mine ( I met in the Russian sector) we used to seek out chess matches in the park there. He works at Sony , remastered Elton Johns catalog and did a lot of work for Peter Gabriel. We were playing chess one night pretty intensely and Peter appeared on his doorstep.
    We have a pet project in the works to head south to the islands and record bands nobody's ever heard of. We have an arrangement to look in Cuba where I hope to strike gold.
    I'm sure you have seen the places that will put together a complete package with custom art, jewel cases the whole 9 yards you do your own marketing etc...
    Thats where we are headed. everyone is very experienced in the whole music scene. We have planned this without getting involved with any studio.
    We are hoping to represent more then a few bands here in N.America. We have contacts with Barnes and Nobel and Star Bucks to name a few places that have expressed interest in carrying the finished product.
    We have some stuff together and I know that our recording guys are top notch and a real + is we have all been friends for over 20 years.
    I wish you could meet Devo, he plays guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, sax, flute and god only knows what else. He's a bonified crazy man but an uber talented musician.

Good luck on the ASUS forums those guys are some of the biggest knuckleheads I have ever encountered.

Now even though you are using the Win Xp drivers they came out right before Aardvark went under right? My feeling is that with all the updates Win XP has taken with 2 SP it's very possible the Aardvark drivers just aren't mature enough for the present Xp environment and using the compatibility mode may help?
    Leave no stone unturned ! I think Batman said that ?

Howie

Wow!! I guess you don't need my help then! LOL

I wish you could meet Devo, he plays guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, sax, flute and god only knows what else. He's a bonified crazy man but an uber talented musician.
    That's the way the worship leader is for the church band that I play in, he sings, plays guitar, drums, piano, and various band instruments. I think he said he plays 14 different instruments. He actually got accepted to be in the marines' national band that plays for the president, but he turned it down at the last (but they wouldn't let him out of the service. ) He was also in a band in high school with the bass player from Kutless (a popular Christian band).

Talented freaks!

Now even though you are using the Win Xp drivers they came out right before Aardvark went under right? My feeling is that with all the updates Win XP has taken with 2 SP it's very possible the Aardvark drivers just aren't mature enough for the present Xp environment and using the compatibility mode may help?
    Just tried it and there was no difference, the devices still won't load.

Also, my other 6GB drive that I tried (which still had XP on it) had SP1 loaded, because the drive was too small to load SP2. And it didn't work with SP1 either.

It looks like one problem has been found though, one of my sticks of RAM seems to be bad. Even though memtest gave both a clean bill of health, someone on the Guitar forum said that memtest is not reliable and told me to swap them out. So I did and sure enough one of them will not boot into windows at all (tried different slots and everything). Windows will never load if it's just this stick of RAM. However, there have been several times where windows locked up with the "good" one in also.

I figured memtest would be the best way to tell for sure if they were bad, but apparently not. Who knew?

At first the drivers loaded when removing the "bad" stick, but after a couple reboots it went right back to not showing up anymore and hasn't come back since. So the RAM was a problem but not THE problem to my Q10.

-tkr

It's a good thing you narrowed it down then.
    If I suspect bad RAM I have access to a tester. I wish I had one here but have never been able to justify the cost for it.
    I have only used Memtest a couple of times, I have mixed feeling about only being able to test with software. I have los of computer tools here. for instance I have the Universal Diagnostic Toolkit from Micro2000 along with other combination software/hardware diagnostic sets. I've been building on this stuff for years so I could run a small repair business from my house.
    Now I just putter.

Stick with the music! there is nothing I enjoy more(slightly edging out computer stuff) Then breaking out my guitar/s. I'm planing on a neat keyboard soon though next month with MIDI plugs.
    Idealy I would like to midi a keyboard and synth and drum machine that I can trigger with a footswitch while I play my guitar.

So with the bad RAM out you are up and running again?
    Drop a line tomorrow and let me know.

Regards , Howie

I have los of computer tools here. for instance I have the Universal Diagnostic Toolkit from Micro2000 along with other combination software/hardware diagnostic sets.
    The worship leader at my church is also a network admin for a local school district and I think he has some diagnostic tools there as well. But he's out of town and I don't know exactly when he's coming back, but if this problem isn't resolved by then I'll see if he has something he can do when he gets back.

So with the bad RAM out you are up and running again?
    No, unfortunately. This did not fix my Q10 issue. It did in the beginning (when the RAM was first removed) but after several reboots it started in again and will not load the Q10 devices.

Stick with the music!
    Definitely! I've been playing drums and guitar for over 10 years. Although about 4 of those I hardly played at all thanks to college. Still got another 2 more years to go too.

Idealy I would like to midi a keyboard and synth and drum machine that I can trigger with a footswitch while I play my guitar.
    The synth and drums could be done on your computer, then MIDI your keyboard to the computer. Then you'd be up and running by the time you get your keyboard.

I do everything on my computer, I even play my guitar through the computer. I don't have a nice amp so I use VST monitoring to play my guitar through VST effects. I have a couple guitar amp simulators which work surprisingly well for being plugins and a bunch of effects.

That's why my whole world comes crashing down along with my computer when it crahes.

-tkr