Thread: Wi-Fi Attack

Wi-Fi Attack

Wi-Fi Attack

Using public wi-fi hotspots has got much riskier as security experts unveil tools that nab login data over the air.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6929258.stm

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

Re: Wi-Fi Attack

Yes, I wouldn't do anything over a public WiFi hotspot connection that you don't mind others seeing/accessing. Absolutely nothing that involves any type of logins.

The simple solution is to set up an SSH server at home (or work) and tunnel all connections over that so your traffic is encrypted. One point to bear in mind though, that even with an encrypted SSH tunnel, DNS lookups are still performed locally so others can still see where you're going, just all the traffic, logins etc will be securely encrypted.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Yes very high risk in hotspot with Fi-Fi - I wont do that... it not safe to use, it need to make stronger security anywhere but none to make safe if use Wifi in hotsport like internet cafe, etc.. best stay at home and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    The simple solution is to set up an SSH server at home (or work) and tunnel all connections over that so your traffic is encrypted. One point to bear in mind though, that even with an encrypted SSH tunnel, DNS lookups are still performed locally so others can still see where you're going, just all the traffic, logins etc will be securely encrypted.
    As usual, Ned has the answer. I wouldn't be too worried about dns though unless you are doing something that is a) really secret and b) can somehow be traced back to you.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

Quote Originally Posted by AntiNazi View Post
    As usual, Ned has the answer. I wouldn't be too worried about dns though unless you are doing something that is a) really secret and b) can somehow be traced back to you.
    Indeed - it shouldn't be an issue for most users, but it is worth noting

I'm just an SSH junkie really
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 08-03-2007 at 04:14 PM.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

The specifics are for sites using cookie based identification, so encryption unless enabled on the sites side won't make much difference.

As for DNS, a rogue access point could use a transparent proxy with firewall redirect to force DNS requests through a DNS server setup by the rogue access point and could lead to a number of exploits.

unles casually brosing teh net at a cafe on me lappy wich holds and never holded any specific info...it wont go more than that so the ycan access it al lthey want lol. why dont banks do wifi..hmm....

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...