Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB Hard Drive Review....better than Raptor?

I just read Ryan's review on the new WD 750gb SE16 hard drive and I must say it looks impressive, even against the much vaunted Raptor 150! This review couldn't have come at a better time for me as I've been going back and forth over whether or not I want to add a Raptor 150 to my system. The only real test I could see it lose against the Raptor was the seek times test. What do you guys think of these results?

Re: Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB Hard Drive Review....better than Raptor?

Here's another review you should study before making your decision. Personally, I think the one you're considering would be excellent as a storage drive, or one for media, but it is much too large for an O/S and apps/games drive. For that I would stick with a raptor.

http://www.storagereview.com/WD7500AAKS.sr?page=0%2C0

I just finished reading that review and another review from Tom's Hardware, not that I trust Tom's reviews anyway. Nevertheless Tom's claims the fastest drive overall is the 74gb Raptor, even faster than the 150gb. This surprised me but really is good news because the 74gb model is the one that best suits my needs. They put the performance of the WD 7500AAKS between the Raptor 74gb and 150gb.

My search for a used 74gb 16meg cache Raptor continues.

I think the 74 gig ADFD is the best of the bunch for an O/S drive

I still have a 150GB Raptor as my OS drive, but honestly, I don't see the point much any more.

It comes down to whether or not the faster seek times (thanks to the spin rate) on the Raptors can push out more data than the slower spinning but more densely stored data on the larger drives.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I still have a 150GB Raptor as my OS drive, but honestly, I don't see the point much any more.
    I agree with you when the drive is used for basic storage, but respectfuly disagree for an O/S drive, as this is where access time provides the most benefit.

It comes down to whether or not the faster seek times (thanks to the spin rate)
    Respectfuly disagree again. Spindle speed has nothing to do with seek time, but it is one of the two dominant components of access time, and thus I/O's per second. Access time is much more important for an O/S drive, as windows access far more files to boot and start various applications, than does a storage drive.

the Raptors can push out more data than the slower spinning but more densely stored data on the larger drives.
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by BWM; 08-31-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Oh, I did once fill up the 74GB OS drive I used previously with Vista, games, etc on it even with trying to store all my data on a seperate drive.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

True, for many gamers 74 gigs may be too little. 150 should be ample though. Everything else belongs on a separate drive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It comes down to whether or not the faster seek times (thanks to the spin rate) on the Raptors can push out more data than the slower spinning but more densely stored data on the larger drives.
    The answer is a resounding YES, if you're multitasking. And since all Windoz machines are multitasking all the time......

Given the right circumstances, a Raptor can easily deliver 50-75% more data to multiple locations in the same amount of time as any current 7200RPM drive.

I'll never understand why people, and in particular "reviewers", use a sequential read/write speed test to measure hard drive performance. Large sequential read/write operations happen less that 1% of the time in desktops.

We use both because both are important for some people. Ever want to move that 20GB HD video from one place to the next? I have!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Here's SR's comparison of the two drives. Note the difference in STR is pretty small, only around 10 percent. Also note the penalty of having NCQ enabled in a non-server scenario.

http://www.storagereview.com/php/ben...2=308&devCnt=3

Alright guys, just to get your opinion yet again. I'll tell you what I'm primarily going to be using this drive for. It will house the OS, as well as whatever small programs I normally use on a day to day basis, such as Office, Firefox, MP3 software, etc. It will probably also hold any games I play, but keep in mind I usually uninstall all games after I've played them anyway, so they won't be taking up more than 10gb tops, and that's temporary.

All pictures, videos, and large files will go on a separate drive. I'm looking for a drive that will speed up boot times as well as everyday stuff such as virus scanning, defrags, etc. I currently have a Seagate 320gb 7200.10, a drive which is not exactly known to be slow. As a matter of fact I'd decided to just keep it until....I installed Vista last night and it seems REALLY slow! The OS seems to be waiting on the drive a lot, and the Vista performance index or whatever it is scores the drive as the lowest component of the system.

Anyway, what do you guys think would be better in my case? The Raptor or one of the bigger WD's like Ryan reviewed.

My vote would have to be for a 74 gig ADFD raptor. I have several of them and am 100% sold.

You definitely won't be disappointed in that selection, but you are probably good either way.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

I just got a 74gb 16mb cache Raptor off Ebay for $88.00 so I've finally made my decision!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by kbohip; 09-02-2007 at 04:02 PM.