Question about Raptors

I'm thinking about getting a Raptor again for my system upgrade. I really only need a 74gb as I'm only going to use it for the OS (Vista) and a few smaller applications that I use everyday. As far as speed goes, the newer 16mb cache 74gb Raptors should be pretty comparable to the 150gb Raptors right?

Also, I'll probably end up buying this Raptor used. Is there any way you can tell by the production date if the drive is an 8mb or 16mb? I don't trust the Ebay sellers descriptions.

Re: Question about Raptors

In terms of benchmarks, the new 36 gig and 74 gig models are equal to the 150 gig model. All you really need to look at is the model number and make sure it is a WD360ADFD for the 36 gigger, or WD740ADFD for the 74 gigger.

Thanks bwm. I read a review of the Raptor 150 on Storage Review that put it's performance in real world programs quite a ways ahead of the 74gb model. I was pretty set on the 74gb until I read that, now I'm leaning towards the 150.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Thanks bwm. I read a review of the Raptor 150 on Storage Review that put it's performance in real world programs quite a ways ahead of the 74gb model. I was pretty set on the 74gb until I read that, now I'm leaning towards the 150.
    I don't see a review for the new 74 gig model. Perhaps the figures you saw are for the original GD instead of the ADFD. In that case then yes, the 150 gig would be substantially better.

I was looking at this page from the 150gb Raptor earlier. In the charts they show the difference in speed and app performance from the first 36gb Raptor to the latest 150gb model. They also even show how much faster the 16mb cache Raptor was over the 8mb cache Raptor.

http://www.storagereview.com/WD1500ADFD.sr?page=0%2C8

Those comparisons are all against the original GD models. The 36 gig and 74 gig ADFD models all do about the same as the 150 gig, but aren't represented in those comparisons.

Now, please note that even SR's applications based tests will always favor the larger sized drives simply because the applications tests cover a smaller percentage of the drive's total capacity than they would on a smaller drive. They don't deliberately fill the drives to at least 50% full to run the tests.
    Last edited by BWM; 08-27-2007 at 08:18 AM.

i have 2 of the 74gb adfd drives in raid0. they perform exceptionally well. BF2 maps load very fast. hasn't been defragged or cleaned up in a couple weeks but i ran an hdtach for ya:

TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

kbohip, what bwm said.

Also, thanks for that link from storage review, as it gives me some nice data. I own 3 74gig raptors, the gd-fla1 purchased in 2004, the gd-flc0 purchased in 2006, and the adfd purchased this year. Currently, the fla1 is resting, the flc0 is in my soltek system, and the adfd in my ds3 vista system. I must admit they are all fast, and I'm not sure I can tell that much difference between them. But the flc0 did seem faster than the original raptor. I had both of them on the same mobo with the same cpu, memory, and video card at different times, and so I had a point of comparison. The flc0 seemed to have a bit more zip. The adfd, along with the rest of the hardware in my ds3 system, well, the system flies, just flies. Fastest system by far I've ever owned. And the speed I'm sure is equal parts chip, memory, mobo, the adfd with its 16mg of cache, and Vista with its superfetch technology.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by cwolv View Post
    i have 2 of the 74gb adfd drives in raid0. they perform exceptionally well. BF2 maps load very fast. hasn't been defragged or cleaned up in a couple weeks but i ran an hdtach for ya:
    Actually your performance is being limited(SATA ports on a PCI-based chip perhaps?) noted by the flat line instead of a typical downward left to right arc, and is not representative of what the drives can really do.

I'm afraid tuskenraider is correct. Cwolv's test run does show a limiting factor in the works somewhere. Here is what just one WD740ADFD does.

hmmm? what you say makes sense. so the onboard on this tforce is holding em back? pci controller do any better? or pci-e controller? sorry to hi-jack.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

A PCI based controller can't possibly do any better, in fact, it'll probably be worse. I think its the chipset and/or drivers but that's awfully hard for one not into nVidia stuff to tell. Also bear in mind that the theoretical doubling of speed that a simple 2 drive stripe can provide is just that, theoretical, and is rarely if ever actually achieved. In real world terms, assuming a controller that can handle it, I would expect starting speed to be ~155 - 160, tapering off to 120. The stripe and cluster sizes chosen when creating the array are also factors that can effect the final results. Then of course there are drivers. It is performing below resonable expectations, and, since burst is topped off right at 133, that strongly suggests that your on-board RAID controller is attached to the PCI bus, and that would handily explain the results that you got.

Hey, thanks for the help guys, but now I'm reconsidering. I'm thinking I might just keep my current 320gb Seagate 7200.10 now. Bah! I hate not knowing what to do in a situation like this! I'm upgrading a lot with my current system right now. 2gb DDR2 Patriot PC6400 ram, new Abit IP35-E mobo, and Q6600 quad core so far are my newest toys. Still, I can't quite talk myself into the Raptor, and I don't know why.

I've had both a 36gb and a 74gb Raptor (both 8mb cache) before and I know they're fast and reliable. My Dad is still raving about how fast his Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754 even) system is over 3 years after I built it. I know a LOT of that speed is coming from that 8mb 36gb Raptor I put in it.

I guess it's just the reviews I've been reading on Newegg where some people have been saying the Raptors don't seem any faster to them than the plain old 7,200 rpm'ers. I get started thinking about whether or not I should pick up a 750gb Seagate for the same price.

Sheesh, this is ridiculous! I've never been this undecided on a certain pc component before in all my years of putting together pc's.

PS, cw, hijack away! It's not like I've ever done that before!
    Last edited by kbohip; 08-30-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Darn, I think I made a mistake. I got a 74gb Raptor off of Ebay last week that I thought was a 16mb cache model. I'm still not sure but I think it's an 8mb cache model. The reason I felt this was a 16mb was a review from StorageReview.

http://www.storagereview.com/WD1500ADFD.sr?page=0%2C8

On this page they compare the performance difference between the Raptor line from the 36gb drive up to the 150gb. They show 2 different 74gb Raptors, and the faster one I assumed was the 16mb cache drive. Now I'm not so sure. I think the faster of the 2 74gb Raptors they compared was just a newer firmware. This is the model number I got. WD740GD-50FLCO. Is this a 16mb model? If not, does anyone here know how big of a difference there really is between these 2? I'm thinking if the difference was big enough I could sell it and get the 16mb cache version.

BWM...HELP?!

All of the models with ADFD in the model number are indeed 16 meg caches. The remaining characters after that in the full model number indicate minor production changes, including firmware. The 8 meg cache models have GD instead of ADFD, so you got a later revision of the GD model with an 8 meg cache. The ADFD versions do perform substantially better.
    Last edited by BWM; 09-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.