View Poll Results: How often do you defragment your drive?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • What is defragmenting your drive?

3 6.67%
  • Weekly

22 48.89%
  • Monthly

12 26.67%
  • Less than 4 times a year

6 13.33%
  • Yearly

2 4.44%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: How often do you defragment your drive?

I actually don't use disc defrag, but maybe i should, it's just when i used it on past rigs it didn't make any noticeable difference, so i quit using it.

there wasn't an option for daily?

i defrag all my machines every night around 2am or so.

on vista i just stick with the built in defrag, i read up on it and though it takes a long time and doesn't give you any signs of actual progress i guess it does a decent job.

otherwise i stick with jkdefrag, i like how it divides up your data on the platters, leaving room for new data, it basically divides your data into 3 zones. i dunno if it adds any real performance, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt.

whenever working on someones machine i'll throw jkdefrag on there and set it up to run nightly with task scheduler. this way their machine stays in tip top shape, meaning i have to fix it less. generally i'll set it so it will only run when idle, just in case they're night owls.

before jkdefrag and vista i made custom batch files to use with task scheduler, since xp had no other way of scheduling defrags with the built in defragger. jkdefrag is just much easier and better i feel, and it's free and light weight, and i think it even has a better way of visualizing progress than even defraggers you pay for. yes occasionally i'll watch it defrag.

daily might seem like a bit too much, but the way i figure the more often you do it the less time it'll take when you do, with 2 500gb, 1 250gb and a 74gb raptor in my system it takes 15 minutes tops if i do it daily, and since it's done in the middle of the night it never even effects me, other than to provide the most optimal disk condition i can get.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

I never used to defrag, but on my new PC now I have installed one of the commecial defragmenters. It does a weekly defrag for me. Its also got features to run daily in the background.

I run several boxes and laptops.

Linux systems never need to be defrag as they use a swap partition.

For Windows partitions my arrangement is all personal data goes to a data-only partition so whatever inside the system partition are for the OS only.

On laptops I still have a data-only partitions and defrag the system partition on average once every year. The data partitions hardy need to be defragged

I have a batch file I fire off twice a week that defrags individual files (contig), and then proceeds to defrag the hard drive (jkdefrag). The home computers are scheduled for when I am at work, and the work computers are scheduled for when I am at home.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Once a month, give or take. I suppose it can be set up to start automatically however that last thing I want is for it to start and defrag when i'm gaming.

Are there never times when you are typically away from your computer? I also would not like it to start while I'm gaming... however, I'm not usually gaming while at work.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Smile Re: How often do you defragment your drive?

FWIW, the auto defragger I use in very 'intelligent' i.e. it runs only on unused system resources in the background, and will immediately suspend defrag when other apps demand the resources. The whole process is very transparent and it's resource usage is really low, so you barely notice it's running, even when it's actually defragging in the background.

Heck, I've even played Oblivion (maxed out settings) when it was defragging a secondary drive. I like it because wasting my time with defrag schedules for the 4 HDDs in my system is totally unnecessary; i don't even need to think about defragging

I've never defragged as it didnt seem to make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by vote ron paul View Post
    I actually don't use disc defrag, but maybe i should, it's just when i used it on past rigs it didn't make any noticeable difference, so i quit using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rogers View Post
    I've never defragged as it didnt seem to make any difference.
    There are several factors that determine whether you'll notice it ot not. The type of hard drive, the amount of space used and the type of data. I don't notice perfomance differences from defragging my storage array, but I definitely notice a difference after defragging my 36GB Raptor. Especially after defragging the MFT.

No Format/Reinstall option?

I tweak my gear too much to defrag. Same with data backup drives, always being redundant and moving important stuff so a format takes care of the dirty business left over.

*Takes a chainsaw to his pancakes* Thats right, I went there.

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    There are several factors that determine whether you'll notice it ot not. The type of hard drive, the amount of space used and the type of data. I don't notice perfomance differences from defragging my storage array, but I definitely notice a difference after defragging my 36GB Raptor. Especially after defragging the MFT.
    Oh right, Ive got a 500GB SATA II and an 80GB PATA HDD in this current PC but the space that is used is just 32GB so that could be why it runs how it should for the hardware and most of the data consists of applications with just one game ran from a folder and a few gig of mp3s, but I have five partitions accross the two drives.

What do you guys use for format your hard drives? At college I used 'Dariks Boot n Nuke', apparently this makes the disk so no data can be got unless very expensive software is used and even then I was told its not always possible. Is the format within the XP CD options as good? I usually do quick format apart from when the drive is brand new then I do a full format and the reason I dont use boot n nuke at home is because I have multiple partitions and that formatting tool would wipe each o ne of them, I prefer formatting each one as and when.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 06-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.

quick format just marks all data as deleted as far as i know, easily recoverable.

i don't think it would hurt anything to use a quick format to save time, if i was selling the disk or giving it away i'd nuke it over and over.

someone care to explain whether a full format is better than a quick one? i always choose quick to save time, not concerned with the data being recovered if i'm the only one using the drive.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rogers View Post
    What do you guys use for format your hard drives? At college I used 'Dariks Boot n Nuke', apparently this makes the disk so no data can be got unless very expensive software is used and even then I was told its not always possible. Is the format within the XP CD options as good? I usually do quick format apart from when the drive is brand new then I do a full format and the reason I dont use boot n nuke at home is because I have multiple partitions and that formatting tool would wipe each o ne of them, I prefer formatting each one as and when.
    DBAN is good, but I wouldn't consider any software formatting tool as cable of completely removing all traces of data. I made a post about forensic data recovery techniques a while back.. Basically to make data totally unrecoverable, you'd need to disintegrate the drive platters. Incineration or acid should do it. Drilling the platters won't prevent some data from being recoverable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    quick format just marks all data as deleted as far as i know, easily recoverable.

i don't think it would hurt anything to use a quick format to save time, if i was selling the disk or giving it away i'd nuke it over and over.

someone care to explain whether a full format is better than a quick one? i always choose quick to save time, not concerned with the data being recovered if i'm the only one using the drive.
    In a nutshell, quick format wipes only the first part of files and file fragments. The rest of the file is unformatted, which can cause problems down the track, hence full format is more reliable.