Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: WHAT!?! DX 10.1 makes current DX10 cards obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Nah, I'm just talking about how the OP cited The Inquirer as his only source, and then everyone else except elvin jumped on the bandwagon as if this were a reliable source. Again, gullible.

With that said, though, man, I wish it were true. This 8800 GTX I purchased is the worst piece of junk I have ever spent so much money on thanks to the lack of decent drivers. DX10 is apparently over the heads of nVidia's devs, so maybe a fresh start is not a bad idea, eh?
    What driver problems are you refering to?

I have few complaints with the 162.18s, and newer, drivers.

ExtremeTech has an article on DX10.1 details that reiterates what the Inquirer stated in theirs:
    DX 10.1 hardware will be backwards compatible with DirectX 10, but current DX10 hardware won't be forward compatible. So games looking to support DX 10.1 still need a DX 10 rendering path to support today's DX10 cards. Think of it like when Microsoft released DirectX 9.0c with added Shader Model 3.0 support. Also, don't worry too much about it requiring SP1 (which isn't out yet). The DX 10.1 SDK only recently was made available, and by the time supporting hardware and DX10.1 are released to end users somewhere in the first half of 2008, SP1 should be readily available.

dx10.1 isn't something we should really worry about, as our dx10 cards will still work, and I don't think dx10.1 brings really anything new hardware wise

...and The Inquirer gets is right again (not hard this time since microsoft said as much over a month before inquirer did), though I find obsolete to be an overly stong and overly used word.

It's sensationalist and its a rubbish article. Sorry abel, it just is, not rubbishing you, just the article.
    Last edited by 3dfxrain; 08-17-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Yeah I know...the Inquirers witting style is reminiscent of tabloid papers.

Here's a link to the official answer from MS DX team member....

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micro...-1-62863.shtml

its just like the old DX9.x updates.... your hardware will work with it.

good i'm glad
    Desktop:
    CPU............intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @3.6GHz (Water)
    Mobo..........ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-APn Edition X38 PCI-Express 2.0 CrossFire
    RAM...........8GB (4x2GB) OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum 7-6-6-24
    Video.........2x Diamond Viper XXX HD2900XT 1GB DDR4 DX10 (Water)
    HDD1.........2x 500GB Western Digital CaviarRE2 16MB SATA2 RAID0
    HDD2.........1x 320GB Western Digital CaviarSE 16MB SATA2
    Case/PSU...Thermaltake SwordM W/C Tower / PC Power&Cooling 750W
    Laptop: EEEPC
    CPU..........intel Celeron M 900MHz @ 1.0+GHz
    RAM..........2GB Kingston DDR2-667MHz
    SSD1.........4GB Internal SSD
    SSD2.........64GB USB solder internal
    Mods.........Wireless N, Bluetooth, Microsoft-GPS (all internal)
    XBOX 360:
    Cooling.......80mm FAN Air-IN w/ZALMAN Fan Control
    Lighting......16 Pure Green LED
    Case..........3 Plexiglass Windows
    HDD...........250GB WD SATA (With window on HDD Case)

I'll be raining on your parade.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...815123340.html

At SIGGRAPH 2007 conference Microsoft announced the details of the new DirectX updates version 10.1. They pointed out that to ensure full support of DirectX 10.1 you need not only to install Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista, but you may also need to replace a graphics card. Contemporary graphics accelerators from Nvidia GeForce 8800 and AMD/ATI Radeon 2900 may not support all the new features added to Direct3D 10.1.

Next-Gen web-site made certain things clear thanks to their phone interview with Microsoft's Sam Glassenberg, who said: "DirectX 10.1 fully supports DirectX 10 hardware. No hardware support is being removed. It's strictly a superset. It's basically an update to DirectX 10 that extends the hardware functionality slightly."

According to Sam Glassenberg, DirectX 10.1 will be fully compatible with all graphics cards supporting DirectX 10. He told that the current updates are very similar to those performed for DirectX 9 back in the days. All the company wants to do now is to increase the API life cycle. This statement was addressed to majority of worried gamers who got the impression that Microsoft announced GeForce 8800 and Radeon 2900 based graphics cards may become useless after the new updates have been pushed. However, Sam confirmed that existing graphics cards may still not be able to use all the new features of DirectX 10.1. At the same time he stress that applications designed specifically for DirectX 10.1 are very unlikely to appear, because overall, the updates aren’t that critical.

So, although DirectX 10.1 will support current DirectX 10 graphics hardware, today's DirectX 10 hardware will not be able to support all of the features of DirectX 10.1, which includes incremental improvements to 3D rendering quality.

However, the gamers who have already acquired contemporary DirectX 10 graphics accelerators shouldn’t be too upset. Upon developers’ request, version 10.1 sets whatever was available in the previous releases as a standard. As for the innovations, among them are 32-bit floating-point operations (instead of 16-bit ones, used today by default) and obligatory support of 4x FSAA.