Lack of upcoming original PC-only games?

Is it just me, or does it seem like most of the good (and popular) upcoming PC games are sequels or spiritual successors

Eg:
    COH Opposing Fronts
    Supcom Forged Alliance
    Starcraft 2
    WOW wrath of the lich king
    Crysis (spiritual successor to farcry? or geniune original?)
    Guide Wars Eye of the North

I guess theres tabula rasa, but how many people here are interested in that?

Re: Lack of upcoming original PC-only games?

I would expect games with gameplay people know and love to be more popular than ones with revolutionary gameplay, that people DON'T know.

Also, I think the fact the PC market isn't as strong as it used to be is another reason, as companies don't see a huge demand so aren't willing to try to take risks.

Despite this, Supreme Commander, COH, and Guild Wars were all revolutionary games, so it's not like the PC market doesn't have them.

You forgot UT3, Bioshock and Quake Wars on that list....and all 3 of those are gonna own!

Most are just making console games. It's easier for them to deal with one system, rather than multiple system with the PC, and they can charge more for the console games --> 59.99 vs 39.99

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Palandri View Post
    Most are just making console games. It's easier for them to deal with one system, rather than multiple system with the PC, and they can charge more for the console games --> 59.99 vs 39.99
    Too bad graphics still suck compared to a computer system.
    Last edited by solofly; 08-11-2007 at 01:14 PM.

not exactly true on the price part. while the game is more expensive. there not really getting all that extra profit. it goes to licensing fees to the console maker, microsoft, sony etc. thats how they make there money. they actually sell at a loss on the actual consoles.

and games are getting wayt o friggin expensive console wise. especially considering the lack of quality and game time in most recent titles.
    Last edited by modru2004; 08-11-2007 at 12:36 PM.

^^
    Thus the reason console games are joining the MMO market.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    not exactly true on the price part. while the game is more expensive. there not really getting all that extra profit. it goes to licensing fees to the console maker, microsoft, sony etc. thats how they make there money. they actually sell at a loss on the actual consoles.

and games are getting wayt o friggin expensive console wise. especially considering the lack of quality and game time in most recent titles.
    1. I just looked at Madden 2008 Football. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 editions are $59.99. The PC edition is $39.99. I can't believe the licensing fee is $20 per game sold.

2. I have read the same thing about them saying they sell the consoles at a loss. I think that's pure bologna. It's real similar to the car dealership who says they are selling cars at $1.00 over invoice.

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by My PC is loud View Post
    You forgot UT3, Bioshock and Quake Wars on that list....and all 3 of those are gonna own!
    I said PC-only, im pretty sure those are also ported onto the 360/ps3.

Hi

While not really an original concept, Storm of War: Battle of Britain will be a vast improvement over anything else that has covered the BoB. It will be PC only, I think.
    One could look at it as sort of original though, since it is suppose to be historically correct and flight/damage models that will be far more acurate than anything we have seen in the past.

1. I just looked at Madden 2008 Football. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 editions are $59.99. The PC edition is $39.99. I can't believe the licensing fee is $20 per game sold.

2. I have read the same thing about them saying they sell the consoles at a loss. I think that's pure bologna. It's real similar to the car dealership who says they are selling cars at $1.00 over invoice.
    1. Cause consoles gamers pay the money (me included), so why not charge it? Plus its EA, so they screw the people who play, and they know that PC-only gamers could care less about Madden, so they try to use the price point to sell some games. Also, last years PC Madden sucked worse than last years console madden, which leads me to believe they don't try as hard for PC.

2. Correct. Only sony is selling there console at a loss, but thats just because they are stupid and used hella expensive hardware in it (cell proc, blu-ray). And also, as for the car dealership, usually that "$1 over invoice" is for 1 car that was in teh sunday flyer, and only that car. But they do, do it

1. Cause consoles gamers pay the money (me included), so why not charge it? Plus its EA, so they screw the people who play, and they know that PC-only gamers could care less about Madden, so they try to use the price point to sell some games. Also, last years PC Madden sucked worse than last years console madden, which leads me to believe they don't try as hard for PC.
    I agree with this. I just ordered the XBox 360 version because I know the PC version of Madden 2008 will be lacking just like the '07 version.