Question New Build Failure?!? -UPDATED** SUCCESS **

You know when you put a new system together and just before hitting the power switch you check everything over and then close your eyes, say a prayer and hit the power button? In your mind your chanting ' please work please work ' but then your heart is crushed when ..... it doesnt boot up?

Well thats what happend to me tonight.

The computer is in my system specs, when I hit the power button I immediately hear a loud chirp (not a beep) all fans spin for about 2 seconds and then it shuts down.

Help me pcper..... your my only hope.

I thought it was like a heat sensor for the FOC so I grabbed a cpu fan and stuck it on the header and let it hang off while I tried it again. Only to have it do the same thing. All fans spin and lights come on, there are two lights on the motherboard, one is on all the time the other comes on for a few seconds just like the fans when I press the power button.

Help is appreciated. But I am going to bed now, ty in advance.

Intel E6600
    Etasis 850
    Lite-On CD/DVD RW
    Sunbeam Fan Controller
    2 Silenx 92mm Case Fans
    2 120mm Panasonic Rad Fans
    74 GB WD Raptor
    320 GB Seagate
    120 GB WD Caviar
    Danner Mag 3 Pump
    D-Tek Fuzion Block
    BFG 8800 GTS
    2GB x2 Gskill Ram
    Tube Rez (forgot the name)
    MSI P6N SLI
    **********************UPDATED**************************
    OK... so I am really hot and tired but I decided to start by reseating the CPU.

I reseated the cpu and this time the ' alarm ' that I heard that would only make a sound for a second then shut down the computer stayed on. (alarm is very loud my god woke up the wife and I got into some trouble but.. eh.. she'll get over it )

I checked the D-Link USB trouble thingy and it showed floppy drive initialization, so I disconnected it and tried again. This time it showed attempt to initialize video or somethin like that on the D Link. I double checked and I'd forgotten to put the extra power connector back on the video card after I disconnected it to get it out of the way to reseat the cpu.

I then reconnected the floppy and I finally got to a POST screen asking me to please reboot and select a proper boot device. Yayyyyy I'm on my way ! Gettin closer ... thanks for all the tips guys ... and btw Poci I am really glad you were wrong. hehehe
    Last edited by Yeah; 08-15-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: update

Re: New Build Failure?!?

the chirp can be a fan,hdd,psu going down on u(wait,that seems weird lol)...when i pop together a system i always expect it to crap out, this way if it doesnt hey,even better

u know what im about to say so get going

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Tagen is offline Definitely a Geek now =>

I have had this happen to me before. I cant for the life of me recall what caused it.

Remove all pci cards, agp, optical drives and hard drives. Try again. Break it down to one stick of memory and try different slots. Reseat your cpu.

Just start removing components until you see the pc react in a different way. Checking to make sure you arent grounding out your motherboard on the metal backing somewhere.

Good luck.
    My system =>:

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel Quad Core Q6700
    BFG NVIDIA nForce 680i
    4 Gigs PC6400 Corsair
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro

ya it sounds like the motherboard doesn't like something and refuses to boot. i had that happen once long ago with a backwards IDE cable (back before they fixed it where you couldn't do that lol)

theres something the mobo isn't liking like kai suggested just do basic troubleshooting till you find the culprit. slowly connect devices until you achieve the same result.

Disconnect all drives and yank all cards. Pull out video card and RAM. Try to boot with PSU, cpu, mainboard. Hopefully, you will get beeps or LED codes indicating "memory problem" or "video card problem". And that would be good - it means you're on your way to a good post. If you get one of those two errors, replace the missing item referred to by the "error". Repeat.

If you do not get these errors, then there is a problem with your simple setup of PSU, cpu and mainboard: possible short, bad PSU, bad mainboard or bad cpu. From the sound of things, I'd guess you have one of these problems listed in the sentence above.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Thanks all, I will ' bench it up ' when I get home from work tonight and hopefully will have a update for you then.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Lets place bets.
    I bet its PSU problem

What he said ^^^. I have an Antec SL500 that does the same thing on every board I tried it on except the Asus board it's powering now.
    Last edited by GrimReality; 08-14-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Tagen is offline Definitely a Geek now =>

I would bet on something not seated properly or a power cable not connected.
    My system =>:

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Intel Quad Core Q6700
    BFG NVIDIA nForce 680i
    4 Gigs PC6400 Corsair
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro

Motherboard shorting out?
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

Quote Originally Posted by KaiRaene View Post
    I would bet on something not seated properly or a power cable not connected.
    yep , I had a friend who did this recently. Come to find out he forgot to plug the power cable in for the processor ? Dual Core AMD. Right now I forget the proper name but you get the point I hope.

I've been building my own machines since 95 and only 1 time it wouldn't boot. It was a bad motherboard. have built easily 60+ machines for family , friends and myself over the years. But really it could be anything and usually it's the most simple thing.

Well I am home now and I'm about to start disconnnecting and checking and all that. Wish me luck I hope its not the PSU jesus it cost a lot for a pooped out psu.

Re: New Build Failure?!? -UPDATED** SUCCESS **

lol

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...