Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackberry vs. PDA

I'm about to jump into the PDA/Blackberry world.

What the heck is the difference from "Wireless sync" with treo's and how blackberry's get mail? I have microsoft outlook and want to work seamlessly

Re: Blackberry vs. PDA

I have a Palm Tungsten E2. I have the wireless internet adapter (a $100 option for the palm) which allows me to browse the internet (pathetically) and send and receive e-mail through outlook express. I have no experience with Blackberrys but I can tell you that they are over rated. I got my Palm during nursing school because of all the medical programs you can purchase for the palm. As far as wireless sync, the Tungsten E2 has built in blue tooth which I guess you can transfer files wirelessly from your blue tooth enabled computer or other devices however I have never used that feature. I don't really use my Palm much anymore for anything because I can send and receive e-mails though my cell phone which I think I've done once. I'm not sure if I even answered your question, but I tried. =o)

I think I'm going to get a blackjack instead of either.

For the blackberry's... don't you need to get all the blackberry software and mail server add-ons to get it work? the Groupwise program?

Doesn't a Treo just use typical mobilePC software?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Where I used to work ... All the ' higher ups ' had blackberrys. I remember them all sweating when the blackberry network was about to go under.. LOL. I do believe your right about the proprietary software for integration into group systems with Blackberry devices. I heard about the blackjack. It is definately very nice and about the size of an ipod nano I read a nice review of it earlier this week and it was very good.

You can run a Desktop Redirector on a PC to forward e-mails to the BB. That software comes with the BB software package included in the box with the device. This requires that you leave a PC running all the time so it can forward your e-mail.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    I'm about to jump into the PDA/Blackberry world.

What the heck is the difference from "Wireless sync" with treo's and how blackberry's get mail? I have microsoft outlook and want to work seamlessly
    BB's use BB servers. The server will push an e-mail directly to your handheld from a corporate account (exchange, Lotus novell) or many popular internet services (gmail, yahoo). Once the mail is pushed to the handheld, you can choose whether to open the full doucment +/- attachments. This saves considerably on data charges. Contacts and calendar entries can also be pushed to your handheld.

Windows mobile devices rely on active sync to wirelessly sync with an account to retrieve e-mail and calendar info. Usually, it has to be an MS exchange server account. This consumes more data, depending on how often you sync. Never versions of exchange software can also offer push e-mail, as long as your provider supports.

Both can sync with desktop outlook effortlessly. BB devices don't currently offer WiFi. WM devices offer a much wider range of 3rd party applications and utilities. BB is less prone to failure, crashing, and resets.

I avoid Blackberry like the plague.

I have been using windows devices for years now for work. Currently I have the Treo 750 and it is a fantastic phone. I have it set to sync every 5 seconds and I have the option to direct push email.

what does "DIRECT PUSH" email mean?

Also, does it sync with your outlook account? or with some bunk account the cell phone service gives you?

Syncs with outlook.

Push means as soon as the exchange server receives email it will automatically push it to all mobile devices. Generally I receive the email quicker on my phone than I do on my local outlook. It requires SP2 for 2003 on the server side.

Raider, thanks for your post. Very helpful. But I have a few questions...

I dont have exchange/lotus/novell....I'm a one person operation. I run MS Outlook off my desktop (which is on at all times).

From a Windows mobile device, will 'active sync' work for me? Basically, what I want to know is...

I have outlook. If I get a Treo (or something like it) will it function the same as a blackberry? If not, what's the advantage to a blackberry? (or disadvantage)?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    BB's use BB servers. The server will push an e-mail directly to your handheld from a corporate account (exchange, Lotus novell) or many popular internet services (gmail, yahoo). Once the mail is pushed to the handheld, you can choose whether to open the full doucment +/- attachments. This saves considerably on data charges. Contacts and calendar entries can also be pushed to your handheld.

Windows mobile devices rely on active sync to wirelessly sync with an account to retrieve e-mail and calendar info. Usually, it has to be an MS exchange server account. This consumes more data, depending on how often you sync. Never versions of exchange software can also offer push e-mail, as long as your provider supports.

Both can sync with desktop outlook effortlessly. BB devices don't currently offer WiFi. WM devices offer a much wider range of 3rd party applications and utilities. BB is less prone to failure, crashing, and resets.

Call me an idiot --- what do I need to get to have an 'exchange server' --- or is leaving my PC on all the time, with outlook open good enough? I guess that's my question...

Exchange Server is Microsofts Groupware server. Its uses include shared calendars, contacts, public folders, Active Directory Integration and it also can function as a email server.

I'm interested in this topic also, but I decided to stay away from BBerry's software and requirements. Instead, I'm looking at a Helio Ocean or a Blackjack. Anyone have any thoughts on those? Is there anything coming out in the next couple months that will be really exciting?
    Last edited by Gator650; 08-17-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added Helio and blackjack comments
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubie View Post
    Raider, thanks for your post. Very helpful. But I have a few questions...

I dont have exchange/lotus/novell....I'm a one person operation. I run MS Outlook off my desktop (which is on at all times).

From a Windows mobile device, will 'active sync' work for me? Basically, what I want to know is...

I have outlook. If I get a Treo (or something like it) will it function the same as a blackberry? If not, what's the advantage to a blackberry? (or disadvantage)?
    You can always sync with your desktop outlook by USB cable, bluetooth or wi-fi. To sync with your desktop outlook by using cell phone network, you need a service of some kind. Mail2web is a web site that offers cheap MS exchange services.

The bigger question is, what do you need your device for? Do you need access to e-mail away from home? Do you need your calendar uptaded on the fly, away from home? Do need immediate notification of e-mail?

BTW, the best Windows mobile devices are made by HTC, IMHO.

As I mentioned above, the BB software included on the CD includes a redirector that will push to the BB, but the PC needs to be running.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

How do you configure your account in outlook? You MUST have either an exchange, pop, or IMAP server you are pulling email from.

If you have Pop or IMAP you can still use active sync to push the email to your mobile device.

i.e. - you can use active sync to pull your email from gmail or yahoo.