Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to stabily Overclock Core 2 Duo?

I've got a intel core 2 duo e6420 and 1gb Single Channel OCZ DDR2-800 that's supposed to run at 5-5-5-12. I was wondering when overlclocking should Vanderpool and Step speed technology be enabled? I know how to set FSB higher but I don't know how to get 2.6-3ghz and to get it to run Stable.... Help me out here please.

Re: How to stabily Overclock Core 2 Duo?

Last edited by -=SparX=-; 08-28-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: less sarcasm

Personally I disabled all speed-throttling and quiet-technology type stuff prior to overclocking, just to remove some variables from the equation.
    -soplcod

What i need to do is get my FSBRAM to 1:1, it's at 2:3... How do i get it to 1:1?

There should be an option in your bios to switch to 1:1 or maybe a percentage i.e. %100 would be 1:1

no, i had to set dram to 533mhz then it brought to 1:1... i'm running at 2.6ghz from 2.13ghz original, the computer runs awesome now!

i'm running the gigabyte p35-DS3P mobo that supports the 1066 ram and in the bios i can't manually set my ram's frequency. I can only change the multiplier. So, in my case, what would i do to make my ram run at 1:1, or can i? cpu-z reports that it is at 4:5 right now. any help would be great, because i'm running my e6750 at a FSB of 400 making it a 3.2 gHz processor as opposed to the 2.6 i bought it at. The processor is running at 23-25 degrees C idling according to gigabytes free program. I'll install the core temp one and see what it says. I'm doing some more research on my own, but if anyone knows anything else i don't, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Captain, you might try the Gigabyte forum here, they will know how your bios is set up.

You might post your cpu-z creenie, first page and memory page, as that info can help.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

i did some more poking around and i discovered that changing the multiplier for the memory will change the ratio, which seems weird to me, maybe someone else can explain that better. When my multiplier is set to 2.0 it becomes a one to one setup so right now with my fsb at 400 and a cpu multiplier of 8 making it run at 3.2 gHz my memory is running at 800 mhz with the stock timings of 5-5-5-15

However, it is rated to run at 1066 so am i hurting my systems performance more when i run at 1:1 or would it be better to increase it to the 1000 mark (closest i can get to 1066 with the 400 fsb) and have it be at the 4:5 ratio it was before?

I understand that i can now lower my timings since the frequency is lower, but would the performance gains be better with the 1:1 ratio and super tight timings or with the 4:5 ratio and the 1066 frequency and the stock timings of 5-5-5-15?

And let me work on the cpu-z screen
    Last edited by Captain O Hair; 09-12-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: fixing my thought process

hmm....i've wondered this, but how do i insert pictures, i don't have access to a web page to link to for that... but maybe i'm just silly and can't see how to do it...

Register with photo bucket or other photo hosting site. then you can link the url here. Use the insert image link on the top of the reply frame (change IMG to BIMG to post a thumbnail link instead of a full pic.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

There they are, i also put in the SPD one just in case it would be helpful. The ram is rated for 1066 and 5-5-5-15 just like the far right column says.

I normally have my processor at a 400 fsb but had reverted to the factory specs to see if that's where my instability was coming from

You really need to get another stick of ram, the system is designed for dual channel.
    Since the FSB limits the speed data can move to the cpu, there is no point to the memory going faster that the FSB.

Do you have your memory voltage set to 2.2V?

What do the other memory multies do? the board may have automatically set the memory divider, now that you know how to manually set it have you tried 400 again? Can you change FSB 1MHz at a time, and go even higher than 400?

Like I said before the Gigabyte people may be able to help you more as they know the bios and what it does. I thought some of these intel people would jump in here and point the way for you. The way I understand the intel system (and I don't fully understand it yet) you have to clock to 500+ FSB to make the best use of 1066 memory, which of course would require at some point a drop in the cpu multie.

i do have two sticks of ram in this system, 1 GB each in dual channel mode, i just didn't prntscrn the second dimm's page and i do have the voltage manually set to 2.2 (it doesn't give me actual amounts, just overvolt increments, but normal is 1.8v so i've overvolted by 0.4 to make it 2.2v)

When i have my motherboard at complete auto it sets the FSB to 333 and then the multiplier for the ram to 3.2 to make it the 1066 for the ram. A 1:1 ratio for the ram is achieved by setting the multiplier on the ram to 2 bringing the ram's speed down to the 374 (since it's ddr2 that becomes 748 when running at 1:1 to a FSB of 374 for an effective 3.0 ghz on the processor, not sure if this is a performance hit or gain for my 1066 memory, or what running in 1:1 compared to 4:5 or even 5:8 would even do for my system.)

I can change the FSB 1 mhz at a time, and i could set it to 500, but would be forced to use 6x multi. This board only has the 6x and 8x multi's for the processor, probably because the fsb is a 1333 rather than the 1066 of the previous core 2's.

That brings me another question, would running at the 500 fsb with the lower multiplier produce more heat than the 400 fsb and a 8x multiplier?

Sorry Captain, I read this,
    I've got a intel core 2 duo e6420 and 1gb Single Channel OCZ DDR2-800 that's supposed to run at 5-5-5-12.
    If you look at the other thread here, check his setup, they do have memory multipliers available. Like I said earlier the Gigabyte guys are you best bet for interpreting your bios. Usually full manual settings are best

Overclocking the FSB will warm up your NB, but shouldn't be a problem. Generally faster cpu speed trumps everything, unless you have a bottleneck, memory is possible if the application is memory intensive, etc.