Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Problem Re: HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows

IMPORTANT FOR ALL: left write cache disabled on the backup hard disks if you have one or more!

Re: HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows

Lets stick this one for awhile?

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman View Post
    Lets stick this one for awhile?
    Sorry but I'm not english; so what is the meaning of your reply? what should we stick?

Notice this thread is at the very top of the page? That's called a "Sticky". So I stuck it.

I thought that would be a good place for this dicussion.

Welcome to PcPer.com by the way!

Ok, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by drywood View Post
    IMPORTANT FOR ALL: left write cache disabled on the backup hard disks if you have one or more!
    Confused by what you mean here and why

Hi to all, I just had the same problem with my new MB ASUS P5B-SE 975P (BIOS vers. 0709), I follow the steps in the first topic but didn't help so:

I have integrated the Jmicro and Intel AHCI drivers into the WinXP istallation CD with nLite, installing windows: no help (HDD not recognized)

I reinstall everything using the floppy created with the 32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel Matrix Storage Manager, press F6 when required, no help (HDD not recognized)

I connect the HDD to the jMicro controller, set the Intel SATA to AHCI, start windows to install the AHCI drivers but in the device manager were found two new hardware, a second Jmicro controller and a PCI device, there was no way to install their drivers so, also this operation was aborted and back to IDE configuration reconnecting the HDD to SATA 1 port and Intel controller to IDE.

All this operations were done with the Jmicro always set to IDE in the BIOS, I always play with the Intel SATA settings.

Any suggestions?

Tks a lot in advance

Quote Originally Posted by BssKozz View Post
    Confused by what you mean here and why
    Control Panel;
    System;
    Hardware;
    Go to device manager, double klick your hard-drive(s) under "disk drivers", go to "policies" tab and mark "Enable write caching for this disk" ONLY FOR THE DRIVES WHERE YOU WORK. Because the cache is needed to speed up the disk operations, while you don't need speed in a backup disk.

In the backup drives disable it (do not mark). Because with the cache enabled if anything happens (system block, power-down, accidental reset, ecc...) you will lose data ALSO IN THE BACKUP DISK!

Bye.
    Last edited by drywood; 02-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andywarrior View Post
    I follow the steps in the first topic...
    ...All this operations were done with the Jmicro always set to IDE in the BIOS, I always play with the Intel SATA settings.
    These two sentences seem to be contradictory.

You find this in the first topic as 4th operation:

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    ...Reboot the computer and enter the BIOS - DO NOT allow it to start Windows yet.
    Change the setting for the on board Intel controller to AHCI, save and exit BIOS.
    Boot into Windows
    So, how can you "follow the steps in the first topic" if you "made all the operations with the Jmicro set to IDE"? At this point of the procedure (After loading the .reg file) you should change the settings in the BIOS as "AHCI", not ide, BEFORE letting Windows start.

Does this help?
    Last edited by drywood; 02-27-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Adjusted the format of the text

Hi drywood, sorry but maybe I just didn't clear explain in deep:

I mean that the settings in the item number one were changed, before to load Windows, from IDE to AHCI, the setting in the number two were left to IDE, also because if I set the Jmicro to AHCI, my DVD burner disappear under Windows

The #1 item is the Intel controller, about the JMB363 controller was just mentioned to connect the HDD, not to change its settings, am I right?

Tks in advance

Doesn't work for me, I get a "strange" BSOD (Lots of really small text, and immediate restart, rather than a normal one with large text that you have time to read) during Windows startup.

Windows XP pro 32 bit.
    GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard, ICH9(I don't know if R or not), Jmicron (Neither have an options in BIOS)
    BIOS F6.
    I updated to F8a and am going to try again... I don't thik it will make a difference though.

Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dragonshadow; 02-28-2008 at 10:51 AM.

X ANDYWARRIOR:

Now I understood. So you have two controllers on the motherboard. I think it's normal that setting the Jmicro to AHCI will disable the DVD. But maybe that the latest DVD drives can work in SATA mode.

X ANDYWARRIOR AND DRAGONSHADOW:

You could try to add ALSO the registry keys wrote by Peter Shilkin in the page 3 of this discussion.

Otherwise, my knowledge finish here, and you could ask to Ned Slider.

Bye.

Tks mate, I'll have a look next week, now I'm out of home.
    Tks a lot for now

I'll post any result later on (I like to share ).

Tks and have a nice week-end

Help. After doing everything here, i lost my CDROM/DVD

I did astold and everything worked good. I can see in my device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers that i have Intel ICH9SATA AHCI controller installed.
    I tried to go to the policy of the HDD(WD 250GB), but the wrtie to cache is disabled and i can't enableit(it's gray).

Also, and more importand, i lost both of my IDE CDROM and DVD.
    I tyriedto rescan the hardware with no luck.

How can i get my cdrom back?

Hi
    I just bought a dell vostro 1400 and installled XP pro with SP2. Before that i did not include SATA drivers in the CD and so after installing XP when i try to switch back to AHCI XP does not load, but it works properly in ATA. This post is extremely helpful but i would like to know if it would work on my laptop. I have a Intel core 2 duo T 7500 2Ghz processor. I am not aware of the chipset. Could you tell me how to look for it ?