A monitor brand question

I'm almost done putting together the build list for my brothers computer. Then today he reminds me wants a new monitor.

Interesting thing about the bro, he has the eyes of a bald eagle - picky to the point of near perfection, LOL. Up til now he has almost exclusively used Sony monitors (especailly their design graphics grade 21in Trinitron CRTs.)

And yes he is a big Sony fan. Which is understandable I suppsoe as they have made some great displays over the years.

Problem I have run into? It seems SOny is virtually out of the computer monitor business.

---------------------------------------------

What I am trying to guage now is, who is the industry leader with impeccable displays. (Unlike myself he is willing to pay rather big bucks for his monitor.)

So, what would you folks consider the two leading edge LCD monitor brands in bar-none quailty?

Please no Flame Wars or replies like "My brand is X and I love it, so it must be the best."
    Just pure objectivity please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mr Steveo; 08-29-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: darn typos!

Hardware Siggy - Under Construction

Join me on Google+ at
    https://plus.google.com/111153241245614620419/posts

Re: A monitor brand question

hmm..its difficult to assert. easy to tell u a cpu is better than another, or an lg/samsung 22 incher better than an acer..but in the high end? no idea. u would have ot find a comparative review or,even better, send your bro to cosco or something to check for himself with his eagle eyes. if he lieks it then order it. picky ppl are hard to please, so if the best reviewed one doesnt look right to him its no good

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    hmm..its difficult to assert. easy to tell u a cpu is better than another, or an lg/samsung 22 incher better than an acer..but in the high end? no idea. u would have ot find a comparative review or,even better, send your bro to cosco or something to check for himself with his eagle eyes. if he lieks it then order it. picky ppl are hard to please, so if the best reviewed one doesnt look right to him its no good
    Thanks, exactly right: Picky people are hard to shop for.
    The benefit is, over the years he talked me into Sony as well, which has been a good experience. But when I needed to go Viewsonic for a monitor, that really didn't bother me.

As much as I rag on his eagle eyes, I ended up with really sensitive ears. I am awful to shop for when it comes to audio gear lol.

-----------------------------------------------------

So far tonight I am becoming impressed with NEC and BENQ. You mentioned LG. Im wondering if any of those make up the top two?

(Unfortunately while Samsung pleases the masses, from what I am reading I doubt anyone could consider them top quality in the industry. Not bashing Samsung - high mid range quality has it's place too.)

Join me on Google+ at

The big Dells seem to be the main choice over here in Blighty at least.

M

Just saw that Sony seems out of the crt business.

You might want to track down Cornerstone "Pro" series.
    Ive owned Cornerstone and always liked them.

But for me? The value of a big crt just isnt there any longer.
    I grabbed a couple of of 22" Samsung LCDs and I couldnt be happier.

Now maybe some guys have used other stuff by Samsung that is slightly better to the trained eye [Im thinking of smoked trouts recent replies at rolleyes news] so maybe what he says has some value for the ultra critical
    user.

Ill get a link. BRB

Here.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...ng#post4117162

On that particular page youll see the back and forth about tests etc as well
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 08-29-2007 at 12:30 PM.

I have to agree with the Samsung/LG comments. I don't think Dell make their own LCD's. Many of their CRT's were rebadged Samsungs. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if their CRT's also used Samsung components, but yeah they are good.

I loved the Sony CRT's too. They had some of the best CRT's I've ever seen. Very powerful. Can't say I have the same respect for their LCD's.

Thanks everyone!
    I spent some time yesterday doing some online research. I combined what I found with all of your comments from this thread and forwarded them to the bro.

I'm curious to see what he will pick in the end!

Join me on Google+ at