Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Ran spybot, adaware, now can't access ONE SITE

This is too weird, atleast for me. Hoping someone here, maybe Mjolnir or Yeah...

Yesterday, I was on a site all day long. Then last night I ran adaware and spybot s&d. I did notice that there was a cookie for site that I had frequented all day - no biggie, right? I had both programs delete all that they had found.

I then did as usual. Checked email, etc. I received an email from that site saying that there was a post to a thread that I was following. I clicked on link and got standard IE page saying IE cannot display this webpage. So I tried going there through browser. Nope. I tried my favorites link. Nope.

I can go anywhere else on internet but not this site. I contacted admin and so i know site is up an running. What would cause my computer to isolate one site??

It is a health site and I really need to be plugged in. Please help me!

Re: Ran spybot, adaware, now can't access ONE SITE

____
    okay, a bit more info:when I type site into browser, it is slow response but finally, it 'clicks' and then it's as if I did nothing, the homepage is still intact, with it's address in window.
    but when i use either favorites link, or link from email saying that thread i'm subscribed to has new post, i get IE page described above.
    well, i just tried, 'Diagnose connection problems' and this is what i get: windows did not detect any problems with internet connections over HTTP and HTTPS but was not able to make a successful connection over FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that a fiewall client running on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports.
    If you are trying to use FTP, please contact the manufacturer of your personal computer for assistance.
    what is ftp? do you think this has anything to do with this
    one site? realthyroidhelp.com
    more stuff...edit.
    searching the internet, found some other threads of people who've had similar problems. someone suggested 'maybe' trying http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm, but there was not follow up to post and i'm not very sure about doing anything without knowing what the heck it is.
    continuing to seach...
    someone, anyone, please help! cj
    Last edited by cjinca; 09-07-2007 at 03:57 PM.

You using IE 7?

Ive read reports that the phishing filter can cause grief similar to what you mention.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-07-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    You using IE 7?

Ive read reports that the phishing filter can cause grief similar to what you mention.
    yep. ie 7. problem is, i don't know what a phishing filter is. any suggestions?
    and hey, i just moved to so cal and love it! from texas!

Here is some info. Just in case. Just seems strange that a site you frequent would suddenly cause issues. And I imagined this could be the culprit.[or a possibility worth excluding]

But read this stuff thru and see if it fits. If not? Then on to the next possibility.

https://phishingfilter.microsoft.com/faq.aspx

I ended up disabling the filter on ie 7. But lemme search other possibilities.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-07-2007 at 04:15 PM.

It doesnt hit me as a connection issue. Like you said...you can go everywhere with no problems. So perhaps its site specific [it would be my guess]

Give this a read as well. Its another maybe.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb250503.aspx

Ill keep looking. Pretty soon the "real geniuses" will be around.
    Not to worry.

Here is some info. Just in case. Just seems strange that a site you frequent would suddenly cause issues. And I imagined this could be the culprit.[or a possibility worth excluding]

But read this stuff thru and see if it fits. If not? Then on to the next possibility.

https://phishingfilter.microsoft.com/faq.aspx

I ended up disabling the filter on ie 7. But lemme search other possibilities.
    okay, i just disabled pf. tried to access site unsuccessfully. did network diagnostics thing again and got different message. said to try refreshing page, check spelling or access from link. so i tried favorites and email link again. still no bueno.

but... i really appreciate the help... better than being stuck in my head.

Not to worry. Process of elimination. I stabbed at what I figured was obvious.

I suspect another opinion is on the way from a better surgeon.

It might be something as obscure as a firewall issue. But well solve it.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-07-2007 at 05:06 PM.

It doesnt hit me as a connection issue. Like you said...you can go everywhere with no problems. So perhaps its site specific [it would be my guess]

Give this a read as well. Its another maybe.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb250503.aspx

Ill keep looking. Pretty soon the "real geniuses" will be around.
    Not to worry.
    thanks for encouragment and link. as for reading it, i confess, it is like greek. i just had a friend send a long email on personal stuff and i couldn't even get my mind around it. brain is compromised and it is really a drag.
    if this helps anybody, i have found similar referals to problem... i can search internet. just can't make heads or tails of what i find...

maybe something someone else has recommended will ring a bell...

this first link might be the best. mentions 'pinging sites' and other stuff.

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ult...ic/33/530.html

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=697902

http://www.hackernotcracker.com/2006...indows-xp.html

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...r-connect.aspx

thanks again!

Not to worry. Process of elimination. I stabbed at what I figured was obvious.

I suspect another opinion is on the way from a better surgeon.

It might be something as obscure as a firewall issue. But well solve it.
    yes, firewall are mentioned too.

i see others have mentioned this stuff, so:

i am using charter cable, i can run on cable or wireless. ie7. i have it on automatic update so i think i'm good there. new dell latitude d520, no warranty.

hmmm... just last night dell popped up and said something needed updated, argghh, what was it? i agreed. i bet problem happened after that. it wasn't acrobat, maybe flash player???

how can i read what was last updated? if that would help...

Me? Like I said I dont smell a particular connection problem even tho IE senses a "connection" problem. I see the same sort of deal from IE when its a simple "site is busy" deal. One of the reasons Ill never depend on one browser. Nice to have Firefox onboard.

I asked the mods here to take a peek.

adobe flash was updated yesterday.

It's possible that there is some corruption in your temporary internet files folder and that is causing the page to not display. Try deleting your temporary internet files and then attempt to access the site again. My aunt recently had that same issue and deleting the temp files cleared it up!
    AMD Phenom II 940
    ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
    4x2GB Corsair DDR2 800
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    Western Digital Velociraptor 300gb
    Western Digital Black 640gb
    Western Digital 400gb SATA w/16mb cache
    Western Digital 80gb
    Samsung DVD-RW
    Antec Nine Hundred Case
    OCZ StealthXtream 600w (soon to be replaced by Corsair 750w)
    Vista64 Ultimate
    Ubuntu

^^^^^^^This is likely. Also check c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts to make sure there's not an entry blocking the site you're trying to go to. Temporarily disable any firewall running to as to rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by IronAvenger View Post
    It's possible that there is some corruption in your temporary internet files folder and that is causing the page to not display. Try deleting your temporary internet files and then attempt to access the site again. My aunt recently had that same issue and deleting the temp files cleared it up!
    thanks for jumping in here, iron avenger. i just dumped temp files via disk clean up and problem is still there.

HOWEVER, i do have new hint: my (dinosaur) desktop computer, that i never think to use has same problem. after reading some of those other threads, i thought, 'ahh... maybe it isn't my computer, something to do with router or ??? and if other computer has same problem, this might help you guys point me in right direction - not completely brain dead here. '.

just had to sleep off pain, sorry for checking out.