Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99

    x264 video encoding benchmark

    I put together a self-contained x264 video encoding benchmark. Techarp kindly agreed to host the file and results at this URL.

    Basically, you run the test encode and it will report back frames-per-second values for your machine @ it's clock/overclock level. You can run it at your stock settings and at your overclock settings to see how your machine compares to others in the database.

    The database is small right now (as of 08-sep), but as you guys report in results, I will populate it. My goal is to have a representative set of data for many different chips and chipsets. Hopefully, we'll get some Penryn and Phenom data when they become available. Also, if anyone out here has some of the high end AMD chips, please contribute. Instructions and the file are at that url.

    Also, please report your results here in this thread. I will keep the data at that url to keep things simple.

    Thanks all.
    http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD backup needs!


  2. #2
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Argentina
    Age
    41
    Posts
    385

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    I run it today and have this numbers. Didn't check yet how mines compares to the rest.
    This is my average of the tests.
    FPS 1 : 173.06
    FPS 2: 53.32
    EVGA X58 Classified E759 Limited Edition, Intel Core i7 Extreme 975@ 3,45 Ghz (133x26), 12 GB Mushkin Red line DDR3 1600 6-7-6-18, 4 x RAID 0 Intel X-25M G2 160 GB, 4 x Hitachi 3TB 7K3000, Lian Li EX-34B HDD Kit, LCD DELL 2408WFP 24" WIDE, SLI 2 x GTX 480, Adaptec 5405Z, Logitech MX 3100, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, PC Power & Cooling 1200 W ESA, Pioneer 216D DVD-RW SATA, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional, Lian Li V2000B Plus II, HP 990 cxi, UPS Smart APC SUA 2200I, Creative Gigaworks S750, Xtrac Pro HS, Cisco 677 ADSL modem, Router Draytek Vigor 2920n.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    mtl,canada
    Age
    41
    Posts
    37,286

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    when its running will it hsow anything on screen? looks liek nothings happening here



    4000+ ee @ 2.891 with 2x1gb kvr667@262.8mhz w/folding smp 45 processes in total taking 928megs of ram before starting the benchmark. utorrent active with about 30
    processes .

    ---------- RUN1PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.23 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 61.47 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 66.95 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 64.63 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN1PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.60 fps, 1826.37 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.52 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 15.71 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.28 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.35 fps, 1826.37 kb/s
    Last edited by _dangtx_; 09-15-2007 at 12:57 AM.

    add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

    GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

  4. #4
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    202

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    when its running will it hsow anything on screen? looks liek nothings happening here



    4000+ ee @ 2.891 with 2x1gb kvr667@262.8mhz w/folding smp 45 processes in total taking 928megs of ram before starting the benchmark. utorrent active with about 30
    processes .

    ---------- RUN1PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.23 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 61.47 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 66.95 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 64.63 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN1PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.60 fps, 1826.37 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.52 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 15.71 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.28 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.35 fps, 1826.37 kb/s
    That's weird... with a 3800+x2 running at 2.57ghz and 1GB or RAM, I got the same score as you... even slightly better...


    ---------- RUN1PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.84 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.01 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.88 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN1PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.44 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.40 fps, 1826.37 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.44 fps, 1826.32 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.42 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.46 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

  5. #5
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    mtl,canada
    Age
    41
    Posts
    37,286

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    Quote Originally Posted by ivanmmj View Post
    That's weird... with a 3800+x2 running at 2.57ghz and 1GB or RAM, I got the same score as you... even slightly better...


    ---------- RUN1PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.05 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.84 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 68.01 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS1.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 67.88 fps, 1850.89 kb/s

    ---------- RUN1PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.44 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN2PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.40 fps, 1826.37 kb/s

    ---------- RUN3PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.44 fps, 1826.32 kb/s

    ---------- RUN4PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.42 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    ---------- RUN5PASS2.LOG
    encoded 1749 frames, 16.46 fps, 1826.38 kb/s

    read the remarks i never bench me puter at idle with no apps running..why? because itll never be that way. its good to know what it can do once its already loaded bt can take a lot of oompf from th ysystem, not to talk about windowze smp client

    add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

    GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

  6. #6
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    thanks for the results, guys!
    http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD backup needs!


  7. #7
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Argentina
    Age
    41
    Posts
    385

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    I think like, each tests run 4 times, it will be better if you post only an average of the 4 runs of each tests, like I do. It is more faster to read. I know it is more easy cut & paste, but it will take you less than a minute.
    EVGA X58 Classified E759 Limited Edition, Intel Core i7 Extreme 975@ 3,45 Ghz (133x26), 12 GB Mushkin Red line DDR3 1600 6-7-6-18, 4 x RAID 0 Intel X-25M G2 160 GB, 4 x Hitachi 3TB 7K3000, Lian Li EX-34B HDD Kit, LCD DELL 2408WFP 24" WIDE, SLI 2 x GTX 480, Adaptec 5405Z, Logitech MX 3100, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, PC Power & Cooling 1200 W ESA, Pioneer 216D DVD-RW SATA, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional, Lian Li V2000B Plus II, HP 990 cxi, UPS Smart APC SUA 2200I, Creative Gigaworks S750, Xtrac Pro HS, Cisco 677 ADSL modem, Router Draytek Vigor 2920n.

  8. #8
    Joined
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    471

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    No need to make a benchmark. You can use a program like GordianKnot and just compare time it takes to encode a DVD. I remember when I went from a Athlon XP 2400+ to a P4 2.8C and noticed a huge difference. Then I went to a Opteron 165 and the difference was night and day. From about 50 minutes per pass (XviD) to 30 minutes.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,931

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    I think the plan is to allow different people to compare hardware. For which you need to agree what it is that you are encoding...


    M

  10. #10
    Joined
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Age
    41
    Posts
    471

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I think the plan is to allow different people to compare hardware. For which you need to agree what it is that you are encoding...
    That's true.

  11. #11
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    As of 20-Sep-2007, we have data on over 100 Intel-based systems and on over 40 AMD-based systems. There are a few trends I picked-up on while browsing through the database. I put them into a single table and color coded them to make them easier to see. If you see a trend I missed, lemme know and I'll add it to the table.

    Request: we don't have a single example of a machine that has both WinXP and WinVista on it. If you have a dual-boot setup, it would be cool to see the difference the O/S makes. Another missing trend is a 32-bit O/S vs. the same O/S that's 64-bit.

    On to the table:



    Yellow: Nearly 1:1 increase by adding an additional processor to a dual-chip MB
    Orange: Some operating systems seem to handle x264 more efficiently than others
    Red: Insignificant gain by upping the DRAM speed by 50 %
    Blue: For the most part, these chips scale in a pretty linear fashion
    Green: Tighter/looser memory timings have a pretty insignificant effect
    Purple: Keeping the same over-all clock speed using a different combo of multiplier and FSB can give pretty insignificant gains

    Again, I only gave this a once-over look; please point out any trends you see that I missed and also don't forgot about the O/S request!

    Thanks again to all who contributed!
    Last edited by graysky; 09-21-2007 at 03:57 PM.
    http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD backup needs!


  12. #12
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    202

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    read the remarks i never bench me puter at idle with no apps running..why? because itll never be that way. its good to know what it can do once its already loaded bt can take a lot of oompf from th ysystem, not to talk about windowze smp client
    But folding will idle when your CPU is being used... But the memory usage MIGHT have caused a problem. :-p
    Last edited by ivanmmj; 09-22-2007 at 12:06 AM.

  13. #13
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    99

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    Updated the Intel table. It now contains several Yorkfield ES chips including:

    Xeon E5330 (Dual board)
    Q9550
    Q9350
    http://encoding.n3.net <--- for all your DVD and audio CD backup needs!


  14. #14
    Joined
    Mar 2004
    Location
    mtl,canada
    Age
    41
    Posts
    37,286

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    cool i suspect memory plays an important role in it

    add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

    GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

  15. #15
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    55

    Re: x264 video encoding benchmark

    FPS1: 186.56
    FPS2: 49.18

    CPU:Quadcore Q6600 440x8 = 3.520 ghz water cooled 1.52volt
    Mobo:Asus pk5 deluxe wifi edition
    Mem:Corsair Dominator 2x1gb ddr2 1115mhz 2.2volt 15-5-5-5
    Vid:Xfx geforce oc 8800gts 320mb 580/900
    hd:seagate sata 320gb 16mb cache
    pw:rosewell extreme 750wat
    sound:sound blaster audigy gamer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •