Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Columbia Students Eagerly Anticipate Ahmadinejad Speech

Further evidence that this countries colleges are in deep sh*t.

Columbia's disgrace

Columbia and President Bollinger are a disgrace. They welcome to their campus a man who is a ringleader in the seizure of American hostages, a terrorist, the president of a terrorist regime, and the representative of a regime responsible at present for the deaths of American soldiers on the field of battle. Columbia's prattle about free speech may be a tale told by an idiot, but it signifies something. And President Bollinger is a fool who is not excused from the dishonor he brings to his institution and his fellow citizens by the fact that he doesn't know what he is doing.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: Columbia Students Eagerly Anticipate Ahmadinejad Speech

If any gov grants or loans are feeding those students and or the school, how
    bout they be cut off and see if the Jerry Lewis want-to-be is willing to
    pick up the bill...Let's see how that goes down their gullet..

That guy from Iran always reminds me of Lewis' classic flick "The Bellboy"

What's wrong with wanting to listen to him? Do we punish free speech now? I'm interested to hear what he has to say, as should every other citizen who gives a damn about the Near East, the war in Iraq, or politics in general. He's got some charisma with his own people and it would behoove us all to pay attention to what he says, as he could be the man who prevents or begins another war. I guess none of that matters when it comes to slandering those whom you hate. Jimz already posted about this in the Iran thread, by the way.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Some of the posts in this forum remind me of a few movies too.

This is from AMDSCOOTER's link and I'd like to know what the response is from this jerk.

President Bollinger has issued the following companion statement:

In order to have such a University-wide forum, we have insisted that a number of conditions be met, first and foremost that President Ahmadinejad agree to divide his time evenly between delivering remarks and responding to audience questions. I also wanted to be sure the Iranians understood that I would myself introduce the event with a series of sharp challenges to the President on issues including:

· the Iranian President's denial of the Holocaust;

· his public call for the destruction of the state of Israel;

· his reported support for international terrorism that targets innocent civilians and American troops;

· Iran's pursuit of nuclear ambitions in opposition to international sanction;

· his government's widely documented suppression of civil society and particularly of women's rights; and

· his government's imprisoning of journalists and scholars, including one of Columbia's own alumni, Dr. Kian Tajbakhsh.
    No where is there any indication of student's thoughts on the process. Are all the threads here so lame?

I admit Orang...its a very fine line between free exchange and supplying a "propaganda" moment.
    Is this all an agreement? Will our folks have the same opportunity in Iran?
    The answer is no.

As much as I love the concept of a mutual and free exchange of ideas and cross examination?

I dont think this fills the bill.

^^^first post and you insult someone! guess you didnt read the rules?

Are all the threads here so lame?
    Maybe you thought this was the daily kos or something?

anyway welcome

I heard on fox by a 9/11 victims family member that the college canceled someone actually important in order to hear this Iranian speak ill of our country and its leaders we all know thats pretty much what he is going to do.
    Last edited by /\/\adGamer; 09-20-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    What's wrong with wanting to listen to him? Do we punish free speech now? I'm interested to hear what he has to say, as should every other citizen who gives a damn about the Near East, the war in Iraq, or politics in general. He's got some charisma with his own people and it would behoove us all to pay attention to what he says, as he could be the man who prevents or begins another war. I guess none of that matters when it comes to slandering those whom you hate. Jimz already posted about this in the Iran thread, by the way.
    You mean besides the fact he is a terrorist and is arming the terrorists responsible for killing our soldiers in Iraq and many others around the world? Personally, I cannot think of another better reason to deny him a platform.

Calling A Terrorist Fanatic A Terrorist Fanatic: Columbia's Shame

UPDATE: Powerline informs us that Columbia University has invited the fanatic to its campus. Perhaps the university will extend invitations to the families of Americans killed by the highly lethal IEDs Iran has manufacture and smuggled into the county, or even some of the soldiers and Marines wounded by them. Survivors of those killed in the 1983 barracks bombing or of the 1994 attack in Buenos Aires?

Less than two weeks ago, a U.S. District Court awarded the survivors of the 1983 barracks bombing $2.65 billion dollars in damages. The president of Columbia, Lee Bollinger, is an accomplished legal scholar so he knows the significance of this judgment --Iran has been found by our justice system to be responsible for those killings, and we have the testimony of our senior military officials that they are killing our troops in Iran today. Inviting this scoundrel is beyond disgusting but underscores the complete vacuity of Columbia's leadership.

Here is Judge Lamberth's ruling from September 9. Here are the names of the Iranians indicted by Argentine prosecutors. Here is just one of scores of articles reporting on Iran's attacks against our troops in Iraq.

It is as though Oxford had invited Hitler to speak in 1938.

To help Columbia understand what it is doing, I invite President Bollinger to carefully read Judge Lamberth's September opinion and its detailed litany of the mayhem and death Iran visited on our servicemen and their families in 1983. Judge Lamberth's conclusion is particularly relevant to the Board of Trustees of Columbia, ultimately responsible for allowing this travesty to unfold:

This Court is sadly aware that there is little it can do to heal the physical wounds and emotional scars suffered by the servicemen in this case and their family members. Though the attack on the Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon occurred nearly twenty four years ago from this date, it is clear from the testimony presented to this Court and the special masters that the intense suffering experienced on that day has had a tragically lasting effect on the plaintiffs who have brought this action. The fact that almost 1000 individuals sought redress in this action confirms the sheer number of individuals whose lives were forever altered as a result of this senseless attack on these courageous servicemen.

Indeed, at a time like this and an era such as ours, it is important to acknowledge the selfless courage that these–and all–servicemen demonstrated by choosing to take action and make this world a safer and better place in which to live. The fact that the servicemen in this action made the ultimate sacrifice to pursue such a noble cause only serves to further establish the legacy of these courageous individuals in the annals of history.

Not to be forgotten is the courage demonstrated by the family members who have come forth in bringing this claim. These individuals, whose hearts and souls were forever broken on October 23, 1983, have waited patiently for nearly a quarter of a century for justice to be done, and to be made whole again. And though this Court can neither bring back the husbands, sons, fathers and brothers who were lost in this heinous display of violence, nor undo the tragic events of that day, the law offers a meager attempt to make the surviving family members whole, through seeking monetary damages against those who perpetrated this heinous attack. The Court hopes that this extremely sizeable judgment will serve to aid in the healing process for these plaintiffs, and simultaneously sound an alarm to the defendants that their unlawful attacks on our citizens will not be tolerated.
    The alarm the judge hoped to have sounded has clearly not been heard in the halls of Columbia University, which by its invitation honors the official representative of the terrorist state that has caused so much evil.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I admit Orang...its a very fine line between free exchange and supplying a "propaganda" moment.
    Is this all an agreement? Will our folks have the same opportunity in Iran?
    The answer is no.

As much as I love the concept of a mutual and free exchange of ideas and cross examination?

I dont think this fills the bill.
    It doesn't matter what other people do. What matters is how we behave. The kid down the street steals some candy from the local gas station. Does that mean your kid should do it, too? That it's acceptable? No. Our Constitution guarantees everyone under our jurisdiction the right to free speech and this is a perfect example of the "price" we pay for our freedom. (Freedom isn't free; it costs a buck oh five.) People get pissed off at it? Great, they're exercising their free speech, too. If we only extend rights to people we like (which historically has been the case, cf. women and minority voting rights or homosexual marriage) then why have that Constitution at all? Why have those rights or any liberty? He's going to say things that will piss people off, sure. But his doing so just reinforces our superiority: we're such a free country that even people like him, a man who wants to wipe out Israel and speaks against our "Satanic" government, are provided the ability to speak out on what they want. His speech makes us stronger, not weaker.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot4us View Post
    Some of the posts in this forum remind me of a few movies too.

This is from AMDSCOOTER's link and I'd like to know what the response is from this jerk.

No where is there any indication of student's thoughts on the process. Are all the threads here so lame?
    STATEMENT FROM STUDENT LEADERS REGARDING THE INVITATION OF THE PRESIDENT OF IRAN

As is surely common knowledge to everyone by now, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the president of the Islamic Republic of Iran, will be speaking on campus this Monday, September 24 th 2007. We believe that this presents an incredible opportunity for the student body to learn about world affairs and to challenge a major controversial figure. In a university setting, no view is too disreputable to be excluded - the goal of a university is to hear and present a wide array of opinions so that they may be challenged and debated in the spirit of free speech and the pursuit of knowledge.

We are disturbed, however, by the extremely short notice given for this event. It should be obvious to anyone that this is an event that will generate a strong reaction from the student body. How can we adequately prepare ourselves in four days for the insightful and productive debate that this event should elicit on campus? How can students who wish to protest successfully organize and plan in four days when demonstrations on campus require a minimum of seven days advance notice for security review? How can students who actually care and want to learn and attend the event if registration is closed before the event is even officially announced?

We understand the University's hesitation to announce earlier, since President Ahmadinejad had not accepted the invitation until Wednesday. But, in an event as controversial as this, the needs of the students should take precedence. The student body should have been informed as soon as the invitation had been extended. Even if the invitation had been declined, students would have begun the debate that the event was originally meant to inspire. To keep information like this from the students actively stifles debate.

As President Bollinger said in his Statement yesterday, "Columbia, as a community dedicated to learning and scholarship, is committed to confronting ideas—to understand the world as it is and as it might be. To fulfill this mission we must respect and defend the rights of our schools, our deans, and our faculty to create programming for academic purposes. ... We trust our community, including our students, to be fully capable of dealing with these occasions, through the powers of dialogue and reason." As student leaders we agree with this statement. For this ideal to be recognized, however, we need to allow real student participation. The entire campus community must have the opportunity to actively engage President Ahmadinejad in order to achieve true academic freedom and discussion.

In recent years, criticism surrounding the administration's handling of major speakers has been prevalent both on and off campus. Let us use this event as an opportunity to improve the process and guarantee student involvement so that we can achieve the high level of academic discourse that this campus deserves.

Paula Cheng, President of ABC
    Michelle Diamond, President of CCSC
    Chris Kulawk, President of The College Republicans
    + several others (the signature list was incomplete)

-The Gipper

I'll be curious to see coverage of the event. My guess is that those students are gonna open up a can of whoopass on him....I sure hope so.

I agree with Orang wholeheartedly on this one....freedom of speech means not only the right to say what you feel is right, but to defend the rights of those who you detest to speak their mind as well. That is what makes this country great.

There is also the part of me that feels that once this guy sets foot on US soil, he should be whisked away to GITMO.

A little cognitive dissonance with my coffee this morning.....

I dont agree in practice but I accept the notion as some "goal/standard"[Orang's post]

For me its unrealistic.
    It demands a similar mindset to actually work.

"If we could just talk to the terrorists...and they saw how "good" we are
    in our thinking...they would leave us alone and respect our lofty thinking"
    "Why the terrorists would be so impressed with our "openess" they would change their minds and no longer hate us"

Good luck with that.

When the guy restores all the communications for the Iranian people?

Ill reconsider.

freedom of speech insures you can tell who the real idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    I'll be curious to see coverage of the event. My guess is that those students are gonna open up a can of whoopass on him....I sure hope so.

I agree with Orang wholeheartedly on this one....freedom of speech means not only the right to say what you feel is right, but to defend the rights of those who you detest to speak their mind as well. That is what makes this country great.

There is also the part of me that feels that once this guy sets foot on US soil, he should be whisked away to GITMO.

A little cognitive dissonance with my coffee this morning.....
    Hey... I'm all for "controversial"... but this guy and the country he runs is DIRECTLY responsible for worldwide terrorism and deaths of our soldiers in Iraq. That crosses the line from giving a "controversial" speaker a platform to insanity IMHO.

-The Gipper

I mean come on. Cant we see the photo ops and the sales job that benefits this guy?

"Iranian President lectures students at a major US Uni"

Is that the aim? to prop the guy up?
    Make him legitimate?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I dont agree in practice but I accept the notion as some "goal/standard"

For me its unrealistic.
    It demands a similar mindset to actually work.

"If we could just talk to the terrorists...and they saw how "good" we are
    in our thinking...they would leave us alone and respect our lofty thinking"
    "Why the terrorists would be so impressed with our "openess" they would change their minds and no longer hate us"

Good luck with that.

When the guy restores all the communications for the Iranian people?

Ill reconsider.
    But it doesn't matter. Think about what Totten and Yon have written about how the Iraqis were fed disinformation and now appreciate Americans, having realized how we truly behave. The Iranian media will distort the event just as our own media distort things, though different in degree. But so what? If we denied him the chance to speak they'd say we were hypocrites, and they'd actually be right with that accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Hey... I'm all for "controversial"... but this guy and the country he runs is DIRECTLY responsible for worldwide terrorism and deaths of our soldiers in Iraq. That crosses the line from giving a "controversial" speaker a platform to insanity IMHO.
    Directly? That would mean he had actually perpetrated the acts. Unless you also think Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of Iraqi citizens. I'm not so sure Ahmadinejad is or has been that involved.