Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Columbia Students Eagerly Anticipate Ahmadinejad Speech

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Hey... I'm all for "controversial"... but this guy and the country he runs is DIRECTLY responsible for worldwide terrorism and deaths of our soldiers in Iraq. That crosses the line from giving a "controversial" speaker a platform to insanity IMHO.
    Ok, but Columbia University strikes me as being significantly more "conservative" than your typical run of the mill state college....I think the students are up to the task, and I doubt seriously that he's gonna be changing anyone's minds about how they feel about him....

That being said, I'll bet $100 that it gets canceled and it will become a moot point anyways.

A good example... if only Rudy was still Mayor.

From The Archives

From The Archives [Greg Pollowitz]

Stephen's post on Ahmadinejad's desire to tour Ground Zero prompted me to search the NY Times archives, now free to all, to find this gem on how people like the President of Iran should be treated by the City of New York:

President Fidel Castro has gone back to Cuba after his clamorous trip to New York City, but Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani seized one more opportunity yesterday to denounce him and wrap himself in the spirited adulation of Mr. Castro's critics in exile.

About 250 Cuban-Americans, joined by other Hispanic supporters, poured into City Hall to praise Mr. Giuliani for his pointed criticisms of Mr. Castro, who was visiting last week to take part in festivities for the 50th anniversary of the United Nations.

"Mayor Giuliani for President!" one woman shouted as the Mayor appeared before a clapping, chanting, flag-wagging crowd packed into the old Board of Estimate Chamber.

The Mayor, who was sharply rebuked by Clinton Administration officials and others for ejecting Yasir Arafat from a celebratory concert at Lincoln Center Monday night, received only praise for his snubbing of Mr. Castro who, Mr. Giuliani repeated whenever he could, was unwelcome at any of the city's events for the United Nations celebration.

A beaming Mr. Giuliani, who received strong support from the city's significant bloc of conservative Hispanic voters in the last election, yesterday received a Cuban flag, a statue of the Virgin Mary and an invitation to the annual dinner of the Cuban American National Foundation in Miami on Nov. 18. (He has not yet accepted.)

"Your statement of support for the cause of free and democratic Cuba and your denunciation of Castro for what he is, a murdering dictator, sent a clear message throughout the world that the Cuban people are not abandoned in their struggle," said Remberto J. Perez, reading a letter of praise from the foundation's directors at a separate news conference in the Blue Room at City Hall.

Mr. Giuliani, embracing the mayoral tradition of having a foreign policy for the City of New York, said that the United States "should, whenever it can, be on the side of freedom and democracy and should always be willing to make that point."
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    But it doesn't matter. Think about what Totten and Yon have written about how the Iraqis were fed disinformation and now appreciate Americans, having realized how we truly behave. The Iranian media will distort the event just as our own media distort things, though different in degree. But so what? If we denied him the chance to speak they'd say we were hypocrites, and they'd actually be right with that accusation.

Directly? That would mean he had actually perpetrated the acts. Unless you also think Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of Iraqi citizens. I'm not so sure Ahmadinejad is or has been that involved.
    I understand your logic.
    I simply dont agree as a practical matter.

Colleges and Universities are indeed our future.

By the same token I dont think inviting a Hitler to speak
    during the late 30's would have changed a whole lot.

No more than Charles Manson should get on the lecture circuit and talk about
    "the horrors of Hollywood and the well paid male"

simply because we "might learn"
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Directly? That would mean he had actually perpetrated the acts. Unless you also think Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of Iraqi citizens. I'm not so sure Ahmadinejad is or has been that involved.
    Ya.. I get your point completely Orang. Our soldiers are terrorists because they intentionally bomb/kill/maim innocent civilians... and arm others to do the same.. on direct orders from GWB. Just like Ahmadinejad.... glad to see there is no fuzzyness in your "logic" Orang.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Freedom of speech and an invitation to speak to an assembly at a university are two different things entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I understand your logic.
    I simply dont agree as a practical matter.

Colleges and Universities are indeed our future.

By the same token I dont think inviting a Hitler to speak
    during the late 30's would have changed a whole lot.

No more than Charles Manson should get on the lecture circuit and talk about
    "the horrors of Hollywood and the well paid male"

simply because we "might learn"
    What does it matter if it changes anything? Is that now the measure of whether or not someone should be allowed to speak?

Ya.. I get your point completely Orang. Our soldiers are terrorists because they intentionally bomb/kill/maim innocent civilians... and arm others to do the same.. on direct orders from GWB. Just like Ahmadinejad.... glad to see there is no fuzzyness in your "logic" Orang.
    Wow, way not to act like a reasonable debater, Scooter. Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Freedom of speech and an invitation to speak to an assembly at a university are two different things entirely.
    How so? The latter is merely a method of the former.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

^^Ask the Harvard President.

^^Ask the Harvard President.
    About what?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Wow, way not to act like a reasonable debater, Scooter. Christ.
    ME??!!! Sh*t.. your the one making comparisons of Ahmadinejad, supporter of terrorism to GWB, leader of the free world. Don't wanna get called out for making seriously absurd comparisons? Stop making them.

-The Gipper

I wont be lectured about the "free and inquisitive mind of the Uni System"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...te_to_summers/

^^Its a motivated/politically driven dreamworld.

So save the pretty picture hanging over the fireplace.
    Its horseshit when I hear "open discussion"

ME??!!! Sh*t.. your the one making comparisons of Ahmadinejad, supporter of terrorism to GWB, leader of the free world. Don't wanna get called out for making seriously absurd comparisons? Stop making them.
    Yeah, great job on being unable to follow rudimentary logic there, Scooter.

I wont be lectured about the "free and inquisitive mind of the Uni System"

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...te_to_summers/
    ^^Its a motivated/politically driven dreamworld.
    Ok, and? What's your point? You're pointing fingers again, jimz. Wrong is wrong and more wrong never makes a right. It's like adding two negative numbers together.

So save the pretty picture hanging over the fireplace.
    Its horseshit when I hear "open discussion"
    Who here is saying that, jimz?

I don't see anything wrong in the slightest with Columbia University's proposal.

I find it far more dishonorable to bask in one's own ignorance than to swallow ones pride and personal dislike in an attempt to get/clarify another perspective.

Yeah, great job on being unable to follow rudimentary logic there, Scooter.
    I'll take a pass on the type of "logic" you employ that equates those who support terrorists to those who support freedom any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

-The Gipper