Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Columbia Students Eagerly Anticipate Ahmadinejad Speech

Bush has done more to jeopardize my freedom than Ahmadinejad...a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Yeah, great job on being unable to follow rudimentary logic there, Scooter.

Ok, and? What's your point? You're pointing fingers again, jimz. Wrong is wrong and more wrong never makes a right. It's like adding two negative numbers together.

Who here is saying that, jimz?
    Come on. Dont paint yourself as niave.

Dont even try and sell me its about a "open and frank" discussion.

Its a political position. Its about attention. Its about money.

The notion that the "campus" is about "learning and exploring" all sorts of ideas is bull.

Wait. A qualifier: If the Ward Churchills "decide" its relevant? The Uni's are open to all sorts of positions.

Like Henry Ford. Any color you like as long as its black.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-20-2007 at 03:33 PM.

pfft. What's all the indignation about? Let the sorry sob come.

Let him answer questions addressed in Bollinger's statement.

Hopefully, there's a 2.6 billion dollar entrance fee for his sorry ass.

But I'm not afraid of this moron, nor am I afraid of any 'propoganda' moment he wants to achieve. So I don't really understand the indignation.

Nor do I think it'll actually happen, but if it does big whoop.

Now if we want to arrest his sorry ass, hold him accountable for his actions and statements, I'm all for that as well.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

My point is real simple smoked trout.

If the college and Uni folks really think they are less a part of some system
    that promotes a particular point of view? Than say the "military industrial complex/vast right wing comspiracy"?

They are in a nexus. A true dreamworld.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Come on. Dont paint yourself as niave.

Dont even try and sell me its about a "open and frank" discussion.

Its a political position. Its about attention. Its about money.

The notion that the "campus" is about "learning and exploring" all sorts of ideas is bull.

Wait. A qualifier: If the Ward Churchills "decide" its relevant? The Uni's are open to all sorts of positions.

Like Henry Ford. Any color you like as long as its black.
    ...Jimz, I asked you who was saying those things. I'm not saying them nor is anyone else here, to my knowledge. You're complaining about something no one is arguing.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Orang. Its the entire arguement that makes me nuts.

The Uni in this case sets itself up as the poster child for "free and open"
    discussion. As if the Uni system can really get to the "heart of the matter" and make some imagined inroads to "understanding"

Free and open. Please. When tickets are sold. Media attention.
    And students bitch about the cost of football tickets.

And these same "great thinkers" see some difference between them and corporate america?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-20-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Whats the difference?

Steve Jobs up on stage with his latest invention

and the Univ with its latest "deal"

There is no difference. The money smells the same.

My point is real simple smoked trout.

If the college and Uni folks really think they are less a part of some system
    that promotes a particular point of view? Than say the "military industrial complex/vast right wing comspiracy"?

They are in a nexus. A true dreamworld.
    So is that what this is all about?

I see colleges and Universities promoting all kinds of different points of view. I also see much good work come out of our universities, along with this political trash. But in this case I don't see them promoting jerk-face at all, in fact I see some rather serious questions in Bollinger's note. I will say that I'd like to add a few.

I think he's accepted this invitation just to provoke such a response as I'm seeing in this thread. Get those looney Americans throwing mud at each other! I won't fall fo it.

I'm just trying to understand this reaction against Universities, this apparently deep-rooted hatred by many. Would I invite him to speak at my house? Hell no. Would I care if someone else did? Hell no. Just keep him out my way.

Let him come. Let him answer those questions. I'll bet you end up surprised by his treatment. Heck, you might even end up proud of a couple of the grillings he's bound to receive. Probably be a few 'questions' you don't like as well.

But this 'Universal' condemnation, I just don't get. I don't have to agree with a lot, or very many, of the things a lot of universities are wont to do, nor do I have to support them. As far as I'm concerned they're free to excercise their own judgement (however flawed) in inviting speakers.

I'm with BD on this, I think those students will rake him over the coals.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

I hope so. Sadly the Iranians will never see the uncut version of the Q and A so whats the point?
    We convince ourselves "were better" and wear some pointless "halo" until the next time Iranian students "vanish"

What a positive thing. What a force for change.

Its similar to extending all sorts of "rights" to terrorists and alien war criminals.

They basically laugh at us. But as long as we sleep at night? I guess were ahead someway.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-20-2007 at 04:08 PM.

reminds me of when israel's prez came to concordia to talk, soem students made a mess and didnt let teh guy talk. good or bad u gotta be civilised, and prolly take the opportunity u wont have again most probably to ask a head of state some (possibly) irritating questions.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I hope so. Sadly the Iranians will never see the uncut version of the Q and A so whats the point?
    We convince ourselves "were better" and wear some pointless "halo" until the next time Iranian students "vanish"

What a positive thing. What a force for change.

Its similar to extending all sorts of "rights" to terrorists and alien war criminals.

They basically laugh at us. But as long as we sleep at night? I guess were ahead someway.
    theres youtube and the like, dont think theyll hang for that shit lol

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Do it..

Deny Him A Visa: Seems unlikely, but Congressman Broun has issued the following press release:

Congressman Broun Calls Upon President Bush to Deny Entry Visa for Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Describes Ahmadinejad’s request to visit Ground Zero as a

“slap in the face to all Americans”

Washington D.C.- Congressman Paul Broun took the House Floor last night to call upon President Bush and the State Department to deny Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad an entry visa to the United States. Ahmadinejad is the President of Iran, a rogue nation the State Department has indicated is the “world’s most active state sponsor of terrorism.” Ahmadinejad is a holocaust denier who has repeatedly called for the destruction of the United States and Israel. Iran was recently cited by General Petraeus as actively aiding attacks against American troops in Iraq. Ahmadinejad is currently scheduled to arrive in New York on September 24th.

“President Ahmadinejad has asked for permission to visit Ground Zero, the site of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, during his upcoming trip to the United Nations. This is an outrage,” said Broun. “To allow the leader of a terrorist state like Ahmadinejad to abuse his status as a ‘diplomat’ to visit Ground Zero would represent a slap in the face not only to those who were lost in the attacks on September 11, 2001, and to their families, but to all Americans. Ahmadinejad is a despotic, holocaust denying madman who should not be allowed into our country. I call upon the President and the State Department to do the right thing: refuse Ahmadinejad an entry visa.”
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Even better, give him a visa and then arrest him. Did someone mention Gitmo?

Take a Kid FISHING!

Hes got the VISA. My suggestion is just keep him safe...protected as we would do with any visitor. But no more than that cordial "we are gentlemen but not stupid" attitude.

All that said? And understand I get control issues? How things play out?

If I were the President? Id welcome him at the gate.
    And Id take the guy on a tour of America.
    Where all the elements could be seen...open.

But I wouldnt allow him to control the event.