Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Columbia Students Eagerly Anticipate Ahmadinejad Speech

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    All that said? And understand I get control issues? How things play out?

If I were the President? Id welcome him at the gate.
    And Id take the guy on a tour of America.
    Where all the elements could be seen...open.

But I wouldnt allow him to control the event.
    That'd probably be the best route.

Maybe even better send Rice to lead him around. Or Cheney. Or Bolton.

I like Enmore's t-shirt idea. Are we going to let this opportunity pass?
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

I like Ed Koch's idea... make sure everyone in his group of protectors (secret service, NY cops, etc.) are Jews. I'd take it a step further, ask Joe Lieberman to be his guide. Then, regardless of where he wants to go... take him to the NY Holocaust museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I like Ed Koch's idea... make sure everyone in his group of protectors (secret service, NY cops, etc.) are Jews. I'd take it a step further, ask Joe Lieberman to be his guide. Then, regardless of where he wants to go... take him to the NY Holocaust museum.
    Ha, that's a really funny idea.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    didnt the guy want t visit..wait..nah that was ground zero.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

[David Bernstein, September 21, 2007 at 11:57am] Trackbacks
    Another Example of Academic Open-Mindedness in California: NY Times:
    The appointment of Donald H. Rumsfeld, the former defense secretary, as a distinguished visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution is drawing fierce protests from faculty members and students at Stanford University and is threatening to rekindle tensions between the institution, a conservative research body, and the more liberal campus.
    Some 2,100 professors, staff members, students and alumni have signed an online petition protesting Mr. Rumsfeld's appointment, which will involve advising a task force on ideology and terrorism. Faculty members say he should not have been offered the post because of his role in the Bush administration’s prosecution of the Iraq war.
    "We view the appointment as fundamentally incompatible with the ethical values of truthfulness, tolerance, disinterested enquiry, respect for national and international laws and care for the opinions, property and lives of others to which Stanford is inalienably committed," the petition reads.
    Philip G. Zimbardo, emeritus professor of psychology, explained his objection to Mr. Rumsfeld's appointment as he rushed across campus to teach a class. "It is unacceptable to have someone who represents the values that Rumsfeld has portrayed, in an academic setting," Dr. Zimbardo said.
    Res ipsa loquitur.
    UPDATE: Oh, and did you know that Stanford has a "mainstream" which all appointments, even of visiting fellows, must be part of? "Pamela M. Lee, a professor of art history who helped write the petition against Mr. Rumsfeld, said she hoped her protest would send a message and prompt the university to review its relationship with the Hoover Institution. 'It's extremely important for the Hoover to know that their appointments are not in the mainstream of the Stanford community,' Professor Lee said,'as well as to send a very clear signal to the country that this is not what Stanford is about.'" So, according to Professor Lee, enforcing ideological conformity among the faculty is "what Stanford is all about." Having one of the most distinguished public servants of the last half century--an objectively true statement, regardless of what one things of his politics--on campus three to five times (!) is not "what Stanford is all about."
    And, come to think of it, I can't resist the contrast between the reaction to Rumsfeld at Stanford and, judging from the stories in the Columbia Spectator, the almost complete quiescence, apart from some Jewish groups, at Columbia regarding the invitation to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. In fact, according to the Spectator, some of the harshest criticism received by Columbia president Lee Bollinger is that he didn't criticize Minutemen Project found Jim Gilchrist, invited by students last years, as he has Ahmadinejad.
    Related Posts (on one page):
    1. Another Example of Academic Open-Mindedness in California:
    2. My L.A. Times op-ed on Chermersinsky, Summers, and the State of Academic Freedom on Campus:

^^He says far better than I attempted last nite.

What bugs me is the obvious unprovable assertion that this is all about
    some ideal.
    Its more about "position" and attention. IMO

Columbia and other select Uni's the hotbed of free and equal exchange of ideas
    pushing a particular position we accept.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-21-2007 at 02:42 PM.

^^^ Having lived a stones throw from the Stanford campus in Palo Alto for 13 years.. and having to tolerate the spoiled lil liberals from that bastion of "free thinkers" descending on my favorite watering holes... I'm not surprised. I even worked at the Stanford bookstore for a brief period after getting out of the USAF. What an "experience". They are all for the open exchange of ideas... as long as your ideas agree with the group think of the campus administrators.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I post this not to annoy Orang and others but the guy has a point:[and I know Orang is pretty black and white around free speech]

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...Q4NGY2NWQ5MzQ=

In light of the UC Davis's recent refusal to have Larry Summers speak, we see once again what's behind the curtain at our top universities-a generic class of 9-5 boutique leftists who rant and rave over inviting a liberal President who only gave the various women's projects $50 million at Harvard, but who in turn are largely quiet about hosting a thug whose thugs recently imprisoned an Iranian-American female scholar and do more than any other nation-state in oppressing women.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 09-21-2007 at 03:02 PM.

^^^ The "secret" of our UC's bias has been hiding in plain sight for years. The MSM.. whose "journalists" are cranked out from the same UC bias treadmill.. are willing accomplices.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Columbia law student Ruven Ellberger — the guy who started the "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is NOT WELCOME at Columbia University!" Facebook page that now has over 800 members — talked to National Review Online afternoon. He offered this concise and cogent rebuttal to Columbia president Lee Bollinger's "free speech" defense of the decision to invite Ahmadinejad to participate in the school's World Leaders Forum on Monday:
    I think there's four things to say about that. The first is that when Americans talk about free-speech rights, we're talking about a constitutional right that all U.S. citizens have. Ahmadinejad is not a U.S. citizen. He's a U.S. enemy. So he doesn't have anything close to a free-speech right.
    The second thing is that only the government has to give people free speech. The government cannot restrict free speech. Columbia University doesn't have to give a soapbox to every lunatic in the world.
    The third thing is that even if we want to hear minority opinions, dissenting opinions, things like that, I can understand giving it to somebody who just doesn't have the access to the media. Ahmadinejad is probably one of the most publicized people in the world today. He has a microphone wherever he goes. He can conduct his own press conferences. He is routinely interviewed on ABC and CBS. He will be speaking at the U.N. He has the media to convey his messages. We don't need to be the ones giving it to him.
    And the fourth thing is that it just lowers the standards of Columbia University. Even if after all of this, you make the case that [Ahmadinejad] has a free-speech right, you shouldn't just go around giving a platform to everybody. You're supposed to exercise judgment. Basically, Columbia University wouldn't find anything wrong with giving Stalin or Hitler a platform to speak, based on that rationale. I think Columbia owes it to itself and its students to exercise a little more judgment.
    Ellberger also says he thinks Bollinger has good intentions, but that he "might be caught up in an institutional conflict here. The best proof of that is that we had the exact same situation last year and he opposed it. Now, this year, he supports it, so either he had a weird dream or something in the middle of the year or he is being disingenuous.
    "That's just the way Columbia moves," Ellberger says. "It's controlled, or at least influenced a lot, by radical opinions. I don't mean radical like extremist, I mean radical like they are not afraid to do something that is unpopular and a little bit crazy. It's almost like Columbia has a penchant for going as sensational as possible. I know that's sometimes what Columbia and other Ivy League universities are known for, but a lot of the students don't support that kind of behavior."

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    freedom of speech insures you can tell who the real idiots are.
    Well put.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Lame Premise: Its about free speech and exploring alternative thought.
    Were "enlightened" folks that just want to get at the "truth"

Exhibit A

Open Letter to Progressive Opponents of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
    by The Columbia Coalition Against the War As Columbia only very recently announced, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will be speaking in Roone Arledge auditorium this Monday. A number of students and student organizations have already announced plans for a protest rally the same day. We are not among them. We do not endorse Ahmadinejad or his views, many of which are inexcusable. However, as opponents of a US military strike against Iran, we have serious concerns with the content of some of the hostility that has been expressed to his presence, and specifically with the planned protest.
    We fear the demonization of Ahmadinejad, because we think this demonization contributes to the likelihood of war. In the current climate, with many on the political right in the U.S. and Israel pushing for air strikes, a campaign against Ahmadinejad is dangerous, regardless of the intentions of most involved. A call to action, unless it prominently rules out war, implies military action.
    A rally where each speaker denounces Ahmadinejad's reactionary policies and just a few call explicitly for military action will still be perceived, on campus and around the U.S., as pro-war. The right-wing media, from Fox News to the New York tabloids, has already jumped on the event, and will spin it to favor their cause. Conservative organizations with no affiliation to Columbia's campus, such as the David Project, have already signed on to the rally on Facebook, and are likely to distribute hundreds of warmongering flyers and picket signs. The rally will seem to be a sea of pro-war demonstrators -- and the more people who attend it and the more organizations that endorse it, the more powerful this disastrous message will be.
    A U.S. attack on Iran, which is not an inevitability but is a real possibility, would have consequences just as terrible as the invasion of Iraq. Thousands would die in initial air strikes, and more in the resulting backlash and regional conflagration. The work of Iranian campaigners for free speech, women's rights, and lesbian and gay liberation, and against racism and anti-semitism, would be set back immeasurably. As Iranian Nobel Laureate Shirin Ebadi has pointed out, "Human rights are not established by throwing cluster bombs on people. You cannot introduce democracy to a country by using tanks."
    There are other means for engagement with Iran than war, and other means for disagreement with Ahmadinejad than the planned protest. We call on those who do not support a war with Iran to be wary of the vilification of Ahmadinejad, to avoid Monday's rally, and to express vocally their opposition to military intervention.
    Columbia Coalition Against the War
    The Columbia Coalition Against the War's statement was made available at the Bwog ("compiled by the staff of The Blue and White, Columbia University's undergraduate magazine") and Debate (an SA discussion list). postCount('columbia220907');Comments (40) | postCountTB('columbia220907'); Trackback | Print

var sc_project=825976; var sc_partition=6; var sc_security="01d3f79e";

^^No "politics" just a thirst for "understanding" and a chance to embrace the face of "diversity"

See Rolleyes News for the latest quote on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Oh FFS....

The Day Before Ahmadinejad's US Visit: Down With USA (Update: Arabic Reads, 'Death to USA')

The Day Before Ahmadinejad's US Visit: Down With USA (Update: Arabic Reads, 'Death to USA')

Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 10:14:38 am PST

Tomorrow, Iranian thug-in-chief Mahmoud Ahmadinejad leaves for New York, to speak at the UN and be feted by the National Press Club and Columbia University, and by “progressives.”

Today, he presided over a huge parade of military hardware, featuring slogans such as “Down with USA” with an image of a burning US flag.

He’ll fit right in at Columbia.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, 3rd left, and other dignitaries watch as military jeeps of the Iran Revolutionary Guards carry anti U.S. and anti Israel slogans during large-scale military parades ... on Saturday Sept. 22, 2007. (AP Photo/Hasan Sarbakhshian)
    Several Arabic-speaking readers have emailed to let me know that the slogan in Arabic script, above “Down with USA/Esrail,” actually says “DEATH to USA/Israel.

-The Gipper