Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: opteron 165

Re: opteron 165

i lowerd htt to 3... 600MHz, with a FSB of 266, that means 798MHZ
    v core is at 1.405
    the memory frequency is 170 ish... im at work, il check when get home, il post a printscreen of cpu z... if it hasnt crashed .. LOOL
    The green Earth say you?
    That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Ozma. He is like a big rainbow ball of hate...

that'll be fine.

one thing: the 3x/600 is ht/ldt which is fine. the htt x 9 = xxxx is what we will be interested in.

stick with present vcore. that should be good enough for a while.

later

ud

im just worried that with 170 mhz ram, my performance will be lower.... wouldnt it be better to have a higher clock in ram?...
    does anyone have a link where i can learn about ram? i feel like im just playing dice with it now...
    Last edited by Bauglir; 09-22-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    The green Earth say you?

what we're after now is raising the htt to it's stable max. then adjust the memory up.

once done the memory isn't is as important as the max cpu clock speed.

here's a oc guide.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=373812

ud

Older versions of Prime95 only load a single core. Te latest one will load multiple cores. http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/P64V254.ZIP Much easier than running two instances of the old versions.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

in the meantime... my PSU is a 350W enermax.... i used an online psu calculator and i should be using a 450w psu... how do i know if the psu is under stress without directly plugging in a multimeter... can i trust the readings from the asus tool, or from mbm? is it normal to have fluctuations on the voltages???.. im just worried my psu will influence the OC
    The green Earth say you?

Most of those online PSU calculators are bogus. A decent quality 350 should be more than enough for what you are running. I'm only using a Antec 400 on my Opty 165's and they are OC'd and folding 24/7 which stresses them to the max.

Asus Probe and MBM are okay, but they rely on sensors. The only way to know for sure if the psu is not providing enough power is by using a Mutli Meter to check each rail's voltage and a Kill A Watt meter to check the total draw.

i tested prime 95 for 6 hrs...no crash, but it was only one instance running on both cores, but then i tried prime 95 and two instances of super pi, that was good for an hour then i got a system freeze..... temps were 58-61 for the cores.... il do a runup of prime 95 on both cores see how long that will go... i figure that if it can hold for 12 hrs il be good.. il post cpu z info tomorrow
    my goal here would be 2.6Ghz... but i think that it is too much... that would mean a fsb of 288 for this board.. i dont think even the cpu can take that... mine is an LCB9E... i think they max out at 2.6 with good boards and good ram.. i have neither
    The green Earth say you?

ok, its been running prime 95 on both cores since my last post... that would be 8 hrs, and no errors...
    here is a printscreen with the cpuz info some of you requested
    i think it is pretty stable for now.....
    wow.. just as i was writing this, the computer as shut down by itself... not a restart not a freeze... it just went down as if someone pulled the plug... wierd....
    The green Earth say you?

i dont think the picture came out...
    here is the link
    http://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.v...44214734695938
    could it be the psu... temps were in the high fifties....
    i need to find the cause for this...
    -next step.. find a multimeter, and get a new fan for the xp90...
    The green Earth say you?

That does sound like a PSU issue. Either that or a temp issue.

the last reading on the core temp log was 59/62....
    the second core was on the low sixties almost since the begining of the test... i would feel wierd if it took it 8 hrs to crash....
    i have a second psu, 585W from orion.... il switch that and get a faster fan for the hsf... retest and if no crash i can move on
    The green Earth say you?

Check in the PC Health section of your bios to see if there is a thermal shutdown temp setting enabled. A lot of boards default to 60C and will shutdown the board if the cpu temp reaches that temp and stays there. If this ran overnight and shut down this morning it's possible that the room temp might have gone up a few degrees which would raise the cpu temp enough to trip that. I have had some problems with one of my folders because of this. It would run full throttle all night and shut down about 2PM when the sun shifted to the west and raised my room temps by close to 20F (no shade on the west of my home while the east is completely shaded).

there is no thermal shutdown on this board... il be switching the psu tomorrow, and see what it does.. in the mean time i raised the fsb to 277, which means 2.5Ghz.. it booted correctly, temps were high 50's but one core crashed after 2 minutes of prime 95... i lowered ram to 1:1, in cpuz it reads 138MHz
    il test that untill i get the time to switch psu, and get a new fan for the cpu
    The green Earth say you?

One thing I forgot to mention is disable Cool and Quiet if you haven't done so already.