Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Raptor Single Drive or Raid 0 Benchmarks?

I'm looking into getting a single 150gb raptor or get 2 for a raid 0 setup, What's the difference in performance?

Re: Raptor Single Drive or Raid 0 Benchmarks?

RAID-0 makes little or no difference in real-world performance unless one is constantly dealing with very large files. Also remember that if either drive in a RAID-0 array fails you will lose everything on both.

Right now i'm running 2 250gb sata2 drives in raid0 and 1 backup 250gb hard drive... Would 1 raptor out perform my raid0 SATA 2 drives?

Quote Originally Posted by chris89 View Post
    Right now i'm running 2 250gb sata2 drives in raid0 and 1 backup 250gb hard drive... Would 1 raptor out perform my raid0 SATA 2 drives?
    Depends on what you use your system for and what your current benchmarks look like. RAID-0 only helps in terms of sustained read and write speeds, which only comes into play when reading or writing LARGE files. Otherwise a single raptor will probably feel faster because it has much faster access time. Here is a normal HDTach test run for a single 150 gig raptor. STR is very high but note the much much faster access time, which is more important than STR for an O/S drive and apps/games that do not read and write predominantly large files. Also note that SATA-II drives are not faster than the best SATA-I models.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Hmm wouldnt 2X raptors be faster then a single raptor?Benchmarks show almost double speed.

Yes, in theory. But it depends on the RAID controller, and, in particular, whether it is on the PCI bus.

See post 4, and access time doesn't change in RAID, or gets worse.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hmm how can access time be worst?I mean does it change?If this is the case then how so?I mean in theory isnt RAID to HDs what dual channel is to RAM?

The hard drive access stays the same but the contoller can add lag, especially ones that use the cpu to do the overhead involved.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    The hard drive access stays the same but the contoller can add lag, especially ones that use the cpu to do the overhead involved.
    Ahh hah.Perfect answer.
    Now the question is,does my Nforce 4 chipset NVRAID add this lag your talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Ahh hah.Perfect answer.
    Now the question is,does my Nforce 4 chipset NVRAID add this lag your talking about?
    As has been noted and discussed in storage, some nvidia chipsets do slow access time, but it is less than one millisecond. None of Intel's or VIA's RAID controllers do this and I can't remember which specific nvidia controllers do. It MAY be due to NCQ, as this does add a little overhead.

Bleh 1 ms is nothing.
    Hmm so I think Ill get dual raptors for RAID 0 after all
    What do ya think?Remember this is a gaming computer,where load times are important if ya want to get vehicles before the rest in online gaming

Right now I load pretty fast even with an ATA 100 HD,but I have page file off so that helps a bit.So it would be faster with dual raptors right?

If the game files being loaded are very large then yes. Otherwise the benefit is nilt.

^^^^ exactly. It echoes what has been said on SR and other more reputable sources.