Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: Raptor Single Drive or Raid 0 Benchmarks?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Poci, that is loading the game level. A real world test of what you said you were concerned about. The amount of memory does not matter, and the game title and age do not matter.

BW, I meant the transfer speed of the new drives should be higher than the other non-raptors (the better), didn't mean they would overtake the raptors. Also access time is minor in the scenaio when defragmented.
    Ok lets take for example the upcoming game Crysis.
    Min requierments are already stated as 1gig minimum of RAM and recommended 2gigz or more.
    Now wouldnt this translate to at the loading screen that the game has to literally read over gig of data to load to the RAM?Wouldnt RAID make a diference for a file thats a gig in size or bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by minhgi View Post
    How come there not any mention of the benefit of raid 1 with a good hardware raid controller.

I have 2 raptors with 3ware 9650se going raid 1. Ideal for daily use but not if your system is a server.

benefit:

-onboard memory cache
    -sequential striping of raid 0 for read
    -improve random access reading (duplexing/sliceing)
    -improve IO handling
    -mirroring

con
    -write speed equal or greater to single drive

Just google raid 1, the benefits there but was overlook b/c of these talk how great raid 0 is.
    No argument from me on that. I've been using RAID-1 since 2000 and won't run a machine without it for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Wouldnt RAID make a diference for a file thats a gig in size or bigger?
    Yes. But don't underestimate memory needs. Remember that the more memory one has the less paging to disk will occur, and memory at any speed is one helluva lot faster than any HD in existence.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Yes. But don't underestimate memory needs. Remember that the more memory one has the less paging to disk will occur, and memory at any speed is one helluva lot faster than any HD in existence.
    Yes but the game itself is installed on to the HD,when a map is loaded the HD is accessed to load that data to the RAM.Of course it wont need to touch the HD again till a new map loads.See what I mean?The HD will be accessed when ever a new map comes along.

Isn't RAID 1 mirroring? Mo stripping, just copies, and you lose half your disk space, with no read/write, I/O benefit. No down time in the vent of a drive failure.
    Maybe you mean 0+1.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

No the benefits are there, it's just you have never heard it that often compare to raid 0. You have to have a goood hardware controller. 3Ware twinstor technology allow the use of two actuators and two mirror imagings for some off the fastest data reading.

Using two identical images, raid 1 can be use to do stripping just like raid 0. It may even be faster since there are identical data on each harddrive.

The read fun is during random access reading, you may get even up 2X performance. Since there are duplicate data on each harddrive, a good controller with an intelligent handler will seek out the nearest data, depend which actuactor is closest to the data, and read from it. The controler will then prepare the unuse actuactor to fetch the other data. Once the first actuactor had read the first piece of data, the second actuactor is already there to read the second piece and so on. This method create like a smooth stripping effect but for improve random reading and IO.

READ THIS: http://www.3ware.com/products/pdf/Twinstor.pdf

So you have these benefits of raid 1. I forgot the other benefit with my setup.

-256 mb onboard cache
    -NCQ
    -other features that built on to the controller
    -the fastest possible WD Raptor 74 GB AFDF 16 mb.

I hope it help. With this setup, my computer had been able to boot into a usable state in 25 seconds with all tray icons and sidebar utilities up and running in vista. Then again, I have massive tweaked the system without deactivating any services. later
    Last edited by minhgi; 09-30-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks for the info. Not bad for $320.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yes but the game itself is installed on to the HD,when a map is loaded the HD is accessed to load that data to the RAM.Of course it wont need to touch the HD again till a new map loads.See what I mean?The HD will be accessed when ever a new map comes along.
    is it really worth the money if you only see the benefits you're looking for during that very short time using the computer? map loads are the smallest time you'll be playing the game, is a few seconds either way really worth 300 dollars or more? and that's with an onboard raid controller, you'll really want an actual raid controller if you really care about speed and those can be pretty expensive.

like mentioned above, if load times are really what you're worried about just get one of the larger barracudas, 7200.11's now? density will help out a lot.

btw, just because the game requirements say 1gb or 2gb, doesn't mean that's the actual amount of data the game will use. that includes what most people typically use up in the background as well. if they meant it literally they'd require 1gb-2gb of FREE memory, kind of like they do for hard drive space requirements.

oh and when you load a map, you don't actually just load one huge file called map, the map file itself may not be very big at all. you're also loading textures and objects and all sorts of other stuff, some big some not very big. i think speed increases would really depend on the game as well.

i have a 74gb raptor for my os drive, keep it defragged all the time and i honestly don't see much of a difference in every day use. i even install some of my games on it hoping to get better load times, but i honestly couldn't say i see the difference, of course i've never timed it with a stop watch either. at the end of the day if i don't feel the speed does it really matter if it' there? probably not.

after reading some of the posts above though about larger drives being faster with loads in some cases, i may start using my larger barracuda drive for my game installs from now on. even if i don't see the speed increase there either (i doubt i will) at least my os drive will have more free space.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Most modern games use files that are heavily compressed. CPU is generally a much more important factor that harddrive for load times, at least in most games made this century.

Access times don't mean a whole lot for many games either. Many games have 99% of their data in a dozen or fewer large files.

hahahaha well i listened to u guy's and i went back to a single SATA2 16MB cache Western Digital from my 2 SATA2 16MB cache Raid0. The funny thing is, is it is actually quite a waise slower loading or installing anything.... lol i use this program called Roadkill's Disk Speed and my score was at 15,000 or so with the raid0 now i only get about 6000-6500 with a single and the access time increased from 8ms to close to 10ms with a single. I did notice that i'm still getting 61MB/PS transfer rate which is the same as raid0 I think... I don't remember the transfer speed of the raid0.... So from my experience there's quite a very noticable gain using Raid0...