Unhappy Seagate 500 GB Problems

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with my Seagate External Drive (500GB) and I do not know what the issue is. I got this drive in August and it has been working fine up until 2 weeks ago. I was listening to music on Itunes and working on some files when I got a message that said something about a failure in locating a file. It then said that the file F:$\mft was unable to be located. I have no idea what this file is. I ignored it and freak out cause all the information appeared to have disappeared. I connected it to another computer (I was using my laptop at the time) and the information was all there. Then just a couple of days ago the problem came back again, but its much worse this time. After only 2 or 3 songs in Itunes it gives me that message. I have restarted, plugged the stuff in and out, shut the computer off completely and nothing appears to work at all. Can anyone please help?????????????????

Arci
    Last edited by gd35; 10-02-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Re: Seagate 500 GB Problems

Welcome to the PCPer forums

It looks as if the master file table on the drive is either hosed or isn't being read correctly for some reason other than the drive itself. I don't have a lot of experience with external USB drives so hang in there and those who do will be sure to jump in and help you.

thanks so much for posting. at least i know that mft has to do with a master file. what do you mean by hosed? Hopefully someone can help me out. Im starting to worry about this external drive

hosed is just slang for corrupt. It is the area of the disk which holds all of the data defining where all of the files (and fragments thereof) happen to reside on the physical surface ot the platters. When the MFT is loused up, for the most part, everything on the drive is probably lost. There are however some data recovery services and/or techniques that people have had good luck with in dealing with a problem like yours but lets let members who have personally dealt with such matters lend a hand. I've been very lucky for way too long, so perhaps my time is coming as well!

thanks for explaning what it is. I'm trying to learn as much as possible since I'm an IS major in college. Anyways, the weird thing is that when that happens I have to leave it disconnect for a good 10 minutes or more and when I bring it up again all the information is there. I would literally break down and cry if I lost everything! All my music and my university information is there.

That fact is wherein my hope lies that the drive is ok, and that the problem is caused by windows and/or the USB drivers. It is to your advantage, if you are able, to connect the drive to one of the machines own internal PATA or SATA ports (whichever the drive needs), instead of a USB port, so that you can run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics for that drive, on that drive. That will rule in or rule out a problem within the drive itself, which is very nice to know when it comes to further troubleshooting the problem. My gut feeling at this point is that the drive is ok and the problem is within windows and/or USB drivers, but there is no way to know for sure at this point. Unfortunately, testing the drive on one of the motherboard's ports means at least partially disassembling the external drive enclosure.

As an additional note, there is no doubt in my mind that members trying to help you will need to know all of the specs of your system. Motherboard make and model, memory, video card, PSU, other drives, software drivers, etc. Please provide that info, preferably in your system specs or siggy, either can be reached in your user control panel.

system: microsoft xp, home edition, version 2002, service pack 2
    gateway mx350, intel pentium
    processor 1.70 GZ, 1.69 ghz, 480 MB Ram
    network adapter: 1394 net adapter, broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller, interl pro/wireless 2200 BG Network connection
    sound video game control:audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, soundmax integrated digital audio, video codecs

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted

Certainly your first course of action should be to backup ALL important data.
    I would suspect a heat issue with the enclosure and its internal controller and while this will not likely do permanent physical damage to the hard disk it could cause serious data loss. You should either remove the drive from its case as suggested by BWM and plug it directly into the computers cables and run a diagnostic or take it to a local pc supplier to get it tested.

if i take it so that they can test it, how would they test the external drive?

assuming they have competetent techs, they will test it attached to a motherboard port and use the manufacturer's diagnostics, as I described. There is no more valid way than that other than for the manufacturer itself to do it. That is exactly why HD manufacturers create their own diagnostics utilities and make them available to the public. What make and model drive do you have there??

A few months ago, I bought a Seagate Freeagent 500 Gb external hard drive. My experience is similar. I used the drive infrequently for the first two months, and didn't have a problem. Lately, I occasionally get that $Mft file write failure. If I access the drive there may be a few files listed, but I can't access them. I also thought everything was lost. Apparently the files are still there. After unplugging the drive, I could plug it back in and have full access. Occasionally, the USB won't recognize the drive.

I thought perhaps the usb cable was bad, so I ordered another. That hasn't really changed anything.

Does Seagate offer free tech support for 30 days? I'm betting they have some kind of design flaw. I haven't seen anything on their website indicating a patch or driver update.

If you resolve this, let us know what you find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
    .I occasionally get that $Mft file write failure. If I access the drive there may be a few files listed, but I can't access them. I also thought everything was lost. Apparently the files are still there. After unplugging the drive, I could plug it back in and have full access. Occasionally, the USB won't recognize the drive.

It’s because the drive is bull $hit. The thing runs WAYYYYYYYYYYY too hot because the morons at Seagate like everyone else are cheapening up on things. The FeeAgent drive has no air vents at all. Why on earth would they surround a hard drive in a plastic shell with no air vents.
    in my experience, I only trust USB drives to copy files to, and from them. Doing any kind of unzipping, or encrypting of large file on them, is risky. (note I'm referring to large files).
    I’ve used many different hosts, and drive manufactures, and it’s risky. But this FreeAgent is running way too hot. I’ve got my window open on a 40F evening, just to keep the thing cool, my room is freezing.

Here is the story. I use to get them delayed write errors with my USB drives when I was using a HUB. I recently bought a PCI /USB host card with 4 ports, all my issues went away. Till tonight that is. I just got a delayed write error while trying to copy two 4Gb files to another drive from a 500GB FreeAgent, and this is using my PCI USB ports.

I have two of the older Seagate USB/SATA drives and they are still the best! Very well vented.
    You people should write Seagate an email and bitch. Tell them your not happy with how they cheapened up on their drives.
    I even bend the connector on this FeeAgent drive because the USB plug is tinny, unlike the old drive where they used big square usb jacks.

FeeAgent drives are a bit faster, but I still would rather have this drive: (they have/or had USB and SATA versions)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/...ata/page2.html

That is exactly why I have 4 HDs with the same exact information for very important things. I don't trust anything nowdays.
    WARNING: When it comes to USB hard drives, if you are moving something important to another drive. Do NOT use the move button.
    -First copy the file to the other drive, Making sure it actually got there.
    -Than check the size
    -Then Delete your file from the first drive.

If you move the file and the drive messes up, your file will be cut in half, gone, or who knows...
    Last edited by Starstreams; 10-27-2007 at 11:10 PM.

checkdisk might be able to rebuild the mft for you, its saved directories on some pretty trashed hds for me before

try chkdsk c: at the command prompt (where c is whatever drive letter you got on the seagate)