Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ubuntu on an older computer

Quote Originally Posted by supercat View Post
    PS Ubuntu set up the 16 MB G400 as 800x600, and that is as high as I can get it to go. Very strange. It does have it set to 24 bit by default. Seems like I had it at 1024x768 when I tried Knoppix. Ideas ?
    Open up /etc/X11/xorg.conf again in a text editor, and somewhere you should see a line listing resolutions like:

800 x 600, 640 x 480, etc...

Just add 1024 x 768 on the front of it and save/restart - at that point you should be able to use the new resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Those Matrix cards didn't game worth a darn, but they do 2D as well as if not better than any other card.
    I used a 16MB G400 for ages on my main Linux desktop. If you don't need 3D then it's all you need (they weren't particularly hot for 3D when they were new and that was 6-7 years ago??). I've also used ATI Rage cards in servers (no GUI) and Radeon 7000 cards in desktops although lately it's nvidia cards due to better 3D Linux support.

from what I have seen I would not use something that slow for Ubuntu, if you do want to try it. My guess for min configuration would be 1GHz cpu, 512 MB ram, and a very good video card for 2D. Min 32 MB , cuz it does not set the resolution high enough otherwise. Maybe a radeon 7500 or 8500 would do. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I'm going to try my old Corel Linux CD that was from that era. I can't remember the specs for it at the moment, but it was fairly light on the order of a P100 with 32 or 64 megs or ram. I know that Viper can handle Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.10 and 7.04 without problems as I used that card to run it earlier this year. This is basically going to be a Retro Rig with all of the old OS's I can find. I even have a copy of MS Bob to install.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Open up /etc/X11/xorg.conf again in a text editor, and somewhere you should see a line listing resolutions like:

800 x 600, 640 x 480, etc...

Just add 1024 x 768 on the front of it and save/restart - at that point you should be able to use the new resolution.
    won't let me save, I have to log in as root right ?

okay I logged in a terminal, and it let me edit the file so 24 bit color can run at 1024x768. but it still will still not run at 1024x768. tried to change under system > pref > screen res. I even rebooted, and I checked the file, it did take the change.

see if you can change the refresh rate in the GUi, is so drop it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    then you'll need livdvdcss2

so again apt-cache search libdvd will suffice
    Jackal, it does not find this file. I did all my updates. what is a good source ?

see if you can change the refresh rate in the GUi, is so drop it down.
    thanks for your help, I do appreciate it. I change the xorg.conf file to 1024x768 only under 24 bit, which it says is the default. do I need to change it for every color depth ?

I would change it for all, it may not be running at 24 bit. You probably need to "tweak" your repositories libdvdcss is difficult to find some times.

Also video issues are sometimes a P.I.T.A under Linux, so don't get frustrated or give up, there's an answer out there somewhere, Google is a great tool as well.

I'm going to refer you to some documentation that was useful for me:

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/add-app...s/C/index.html

when you launch firefox to the left of the address bar should be an icon that will take you to the Ubuntu home page, from there, the support and community sections are very helpful.

thanks, I will try that link. I did use Medibuntu to download the libdvdcss2 file and install it. let me mod the xorg.conf file and see how it goes.

thanks again, J

also type dmesg in a terminal window, and scroll through it, it should list any problems with your video - or you can click system-->administration--->system log, and highlight xorg to narrow it down.

In your xorg.conf file where you see the lines resembling VertRefresh xx-xx and horizRate xx-xx, remark those out by putting a # sign in front of them - seems to me that things work better when you do that, as it uses your monitors DDC output instead of Linuxs' drivers "best guess" for refresh rates.

hey, tried dmesg and it listed a sht load of errors esp with hdc which I assume to be the optical drive. this is a Toshiba 6x DVD drive that should be running UDMA 2, however I did notice that in the error log DMA was disabled. Thus the slide show when I played a movie. Granted, this is not the best DVD drive, but I wonder why it turned off DMA. Also, this drive would not load Linux, it could read the cd but was ultimately too slow. I guess I answered my own question ! but still, it is a 32x CD ROM drive and should be able to install. It has a very small cache 256 kb. Maybe time for a new DVD drive. But would that be a waste with just a 550 MHz processor ? Maybe I should just add another drive to my faster pc and dual boot ?

thanks in advance to all

well I'd say that's a step in the right direction, but before you chunk that drive, as I recall drives of that time needed a jumper in the right place for UDMA operation, also are using a known good 80 wire cable on it?

supercat what mobo are you working with?
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

...however I did notice that in the error log DMA was disabled. Thus the slide show when I played a movie. Granted, this is not the best DVD drive, but I wonder why it turned off DMA....
    I can't really tell you why a system will leave dma off on an optical drive, I have had that issue for no reason that I could see. In any case, the commmand to turn dma on is

#hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx

Note that "#" means to do this as root, and "x" is the letter of the drive that need dma. Usually it is /dev/hdc as you mention above, but not always.

If it is a problem with every boot, and the drive seems to work fine otherwise, you can add the command to the end of a boot up file, such as /etc/rc.local. (note that you would omit the "#" if you did that. )

well I'd say that's a step in the right direction, but before you chunk that drive, as I recall drives of that time needed a jumper in the right place for UDMA operation, also are using a known good 80 wire cable on it?
    not a bad idea, but I thought that was only for ATA66 and faster drives, typically hard drives ?