Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: UBUNTU and VISTA - look alike.

No offense taken man.
    But it does remind me that it's going down into the 40's tonight so I guess it's time to close the windows and turn off the AC. And while I'm at it I might as well set that da* VCR.

DOH, LOL, mine still blinks too - only worse I can't figure out how to set it! LOL.
    Last edited by Jackal; 10-09-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: you tryin to say I was cold or sometin? Just tellin it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Don't blame Windows, Nero, Roxio, or these other companies of course not, I mean after all who left the ability out of the software that they fleece people for?

Linux Users wonder why they aren't making greater headway into the Windows install base.
    Well I wouldn't call "myself" representative of the Linux users base, but....I doubt you'd convince any true Linux user that burying software capabilities under submenu after submenu, just so you can sell more software - the fault of Linux Users or Coders, in fact I too felt your frustration when 1st trying to burn an ISO, that's why there are ISO tuturiols b/c Roxio/Nero (leaders in the mainstream "for sale" cd/dvd burning software market) bury the ability to frustrate people.

I mean K3B - click tools - menu items 5 & 6 Burn CD Image, Burn DVD ISO Image - Nero and Roxio are BOTH fully capable, but they "hide" it....the harder it is to do, the less likely a person is to do it.

How you MISS Quoted me: Your added comments in red.

Don't blame Windows, Nero, Roxio, or these other companies of course not, I mean after all who left the ability out of the software that they fleece people for?

And Linux Users wonder why they aren't making greater headway into the Windows install base.

What I actually said:

Don't blame Windows, Nero, Roxio, or these other companies for Fedora's, Vixta's, and others mistakes.

And Linux Users wonder why they aren't making greater headway into the Windows install base.

First off, if you are going to insert a comment into someone else's message in a quote, please have the integrity to do so in such a way that everyone knows that you are doing so. They way you did it infers that I made that comment. That isn't a road you want to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Well I wouldn't call "myself" representative of the Linux users base, but....I doubt you'd convince any true Linux user that burying software capabilities under submenu after submenu, just so you can sell more software - the fault of Linux Users or Coders, in fact I too felt your frustration when 1st trying to burn an ISO, that's why there are ISO tuturiols b/c Roxio/Nero (leaders in the mainstream "for sale" cd/dvd burning software market) bury the ability to frustrate people.

I mean K3B - click tools - menu items 5 & 6 Burn CD Image, Burn DVD ISO Image - Nero and Roxio are BOTH fully capable, but they "hide" it....the harder it is to do, the less likely a person is to do it.
    Nero Express - disk image or saved project. ONE click. Might be two if you need to switch from DVD to CD Writer or vice verse

Nero - CD Rom ISO on the left (or DVD Iso if that is the selected burner). Can't get much easier than that.

I can't comment on Roxio as I haven't used that in years, but from what I recall it was just as easy.

I don't call that HIDING it. In fact, in Nero it's the FIRST option and in Nero Express it's the bottom one. Anyone who finds that difficult has problems.

But that still doesn't address the bigger issue that Fedora and some other Linux distro's use ISO images coded as a CD Image that are too large to fit on a cd. The only way to reliably fit that much data on a standard 700mb CD is by pressing them. I don't know about you but I don't have one of those. You can try to overburn, but all that will do is create a CD with errors more times than not. That is just inexcusable.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Obviously you are upset Mr. Novi, and I apologized once already and will do so again, and a 3rd time for improperly inserting my own comments into yours - I won't say misquoted b/c I purposefully edited your comment, I didn't "misquote".

Which version of Windows, exactly, can you run from a 650meg CD? For that matter if you could, why would you? Reset a Linux password, recover a virused Linux Ext3 partition?

Solution to your problem.....

Chose a Live Distro with less "bells and whistles" as it will take up less space on the CD.

Notice no quotes:

But I think we were talking about versions that resemble windows (this explains why they're so bloated).

Ubuntu Server is only 450K full version, of course you don't get a GUI at all, so you may not want that one.

I think we could probably make a windows 3.1 "Live CD" if that would help - maybe even a 95 or 98, I don't think ME would fit.

In fact, in Nero it's the FIRST option and in Nero Express it's the bottom one. Anyone who finds that difficult has problems.
    Well, I guess my ex-roomate and I have problems then.

I just moved 2 weeks ago and I shipped all my computers and CDs out of town when my ex-roomate had a corrupted HDD with Windows on it. It took us over 1/2 an hour to figure out how to burn an ISO from Nero.

I think they hide it under some 'pull-out' thing. Honestly I didn't even knew there was such a thing. Nero doesn't 'feel' like Windows to me. They have their own way of doing things. I've noticed more and more software vendors are now doing that and it makes it so much harder for people to guess what it is they are wanting us users to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Chose a Live Distro with less "bells and whistles" as it will take up less space on the CD.
    Just for the record. It just so happened when I needed to verify that I could still burn a CD image onto a DVD and boot from it, I chose a distro with less "bells and whistles"....

Damn Small Linux

50.7Mb CD image burned onto a 4Gb DVD, no problem.

I never knew we were trying to do that?

Linux has never been meant for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Well, I guess my ex-roomate and I have problems then.
    Don't "feel pregnant", the one thing that sticks out in my mind most, when I "took the plunge" and started with FC2 - it took me a LONG time to find "the right" tutorial on burning 4 CD ISO's from both apps. (of the day). Once I had FC2 up and running and saw the ridiculous ease of K3B - I distinctly remember thinking "why do they have to make that one procedure so difficult, when this app. makes it so easy?"

To be fair I should say "at that time" burning ISO's was common place in Linux, but not in Windows, there was no need for it - all apps. fit nicely on CD(s) and simply ran setup to install.

Just for the record. It just so happened when I needed to verify that I could still burn a CD image onto a DVD and boot from it, I chose a distro with less "bells and whistles"....

Damn Small Linux

50.7Mb CD image burned onto a 4Gb DVD, no problem.

Linux has never been meant for the masses.
    word.

Ah, herein lies the issue.....a "re"packaged distro, obviously speaking out of turn.

From Tux Enclave:

"Vixta.org is a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed to be user-friendly and eye-catching, similar in look and feel to Windows Vista. Trying to bring linux to the “masses”, not just sysadmins" - so I guess making it prettier did away with having to manually edit config files? Kool, sign me up, actually no, I'd get bored - isn't that what Windows is for? LOL
    Last edited by Jackal; 10-10-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Personally, I havn't seen a Linux package I didn't like. For that matter I never seen a MS package I didn't like untill Vista. But, my point is that MS will never see another one of my dollars. It's just a matter of which Linux package I decvide to go with.

Agreed, I can't believe I feel victim to MS for so long, buying a product that they don't even support - they force it (support of their product), down the throat of the vendor that only installs and puts a sticker on the box. How do they get away with that, I'll be Ford, GM, and a whole bunch of other vehicle manufacturers would like to know how they pulled the biggest ripoff in history away for so long?!?!

Inquiring minds want to know....

I keep Windows on one drive and UBUNTO on the other because, unlike you guys, I don't know how to get some of the things I like to do loaded into UBUNTO. So I still need to depend on Windows. I use UBUNTO as it comes out of the box. But I still will never pay the M$ tax again.

Quote Originally Posted by missfit View Post
    I keep Windows on one drive and UBUNTO on the other because, unlike you guys, I don't know how to get some of the things I like to do loaded into UBUNTO. So I still need to depend on Windows. I use UBUNTO as it comes out of the box. But I still will never pay the M$ tax again.
    I still have to use Windows too

I support it in my job so currently have one Windows box running, plus my works laptop. The day everyone stops using Windows is the day I won't need it anymore either

But for day to day stuff at home, been using Linux as my main desktop for a long time. Firefox and Thunderbird are functionally identical, K3b rocks for CD/DVD burning (every bit as good as Nero but is free), OpenOffice handles all my word processing and spreadsheet needs, plus provides a nice front end to MySQL, gFTP is simply the best FTP client on the planet, konqueror handles all my file management needs and then some with built in support for many extra protocols (SMB, SSH etc) plus all manor of compressed file formats. That about covers 99.9% of what I need to do ignoring all the exotic stuff that Windows doesn't handle so well (like a decent command line or scripting language, Perl, Python...)

But by far the biggest bonus is not having to pay the annual antivirus tax