cannot access my router...but i can get to the internet!

So i am trying to get my computer behind a firewall in my dorm. I have the plug going from the wall to my uplink port on my linksys router. Then i have my computer hooked up to one of the plugs in my router(plug 2 i think...not uplink, or WAN). now the wierd stuff happens.
    i cannot see my router.
    i cannot ping any websites
    i cannot do a tracert (it says *** request timed out)
    i cannot unplug the power to my router and still browse webpages(duh)

i CAN go to any websites
    I CAN see my ping in online games, such as counterstrike source. and it's what it should be(not extremely high, or low)

Any one have any tips as to how to "see" my router? i want to be able to access it to set up my wireless and stuff.

Thanks!

Re: cannot access my router...but i can get to the internet!

Have you tried typing the IP of the Router??

My default IP is 192.168.1.1 for my Lynksys wireless router.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

yes i have, it doesnt work. but i know the ip is not 192.168.1.1, its 69.69.69.69. doesnt work

What model is your Lynksys??
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

befw11s4

Thanks!

Start + Run type in 'cmd' press enter
    in the command window type 'ipconfig /all'

Look at the ip address of your default gateway, put that in your browser and see if you can get it by ip.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

the def. gateway is the same ip address as it was before i plugged in the router. And when i try to go to the address it cannot find the webpage, same error as when i try to go to what it should be (69.69.69.69)
    Thanks!

same error as when i try to go to what it should be (69.69.69.69)
    It shouldn't appear on as your computers default gateway, it should appear on the routers WAN settings.

I have the plug going from the wall to my uplink port on my linksys router.
    Which is a special LAN port ( Acts as a crossover connection for non-autosensing hubs/switchs.) which also disables port 4 on the router.

You need to connect the WAN port to the wall jack as thats the router port.
    Last edited by Bryan; 10-10-2007 at 06:29 AM.

To add to what Bryan said, if you need to configure your router, you should first leave it unplugged from the wall connection and then sort it out that way. Plug your PC into one of the router's LAN ports and then do ipconfig from there and then you should be able to get the router's IP address (Default Gateway). If you can't it's possible that DHCP is disabled. Either set up your PC with the corresponding static IP/subnet/gateway or reset the router using the button at the back (this will reset it to factory defaults and clear any saved passwords, etc).

When using the router's WAN port to connect to the dorm router, you might need to set up a routing table in order for them to communicate properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    To add to what Bryan said, if you need to configure your router, you should first leave it unplugged from the wall connection and then sort it out that way. Plug your PC into one of the router's LAN ports and then do ipconfig from there and then you should be able to get the router's IP address (Default Gateway). If you can't it's possible that DHCP is disabled. Either set up your PC with the corresponding static IP/subnet/gateway or reset the router using the button at the back (this will reset it to factory defaults and clear any saved passwords, etc).

When using the router's WAN port to connect to the dorm router, you might need to set up a routing table in order for them to communicate properly.
    that's kind of what i was afraid of, but as per many suggestions, i took the cable out of the uplink, put it into the wan. at first the internet didnt work, but i turned off the computer, and unpluged the router's power and then turnd everything back on. it all works properly right now! i can browse the internet, and edit the router config. thanks guys!

Glad to hear it's all working!