Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Which distro to try?

Finally got the printer to work with this distro. The catch is, I use a wireless print server with just the printer (an old LJ6P) connected to it. It's not directly wired to any machine, so I was struggling to work out how to set up the printer. Everything I tried in the tool in Kubuntu resulted in CUPS stopping and having to be restarted. Finally, after many google searches I found out the three things I needed to know:

1) Use CUPS itself via a browser.
    2) Set it as an LDP printer.
    3) Even though Windows refers to the port as P1, for Linux it's /L1

Remind me again why Linux is so good...

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Finally got the printer to work with this distro. The catch is, I use a wireless print server with just the printer (an old LJ6P) connected to it. It's not directly wired to any machine, so I was struggling to work out how to set up the printer. Everything I tried in the tool in Kubuntu resulted in CUPS stopping and having to be restarted. Finally, after many google searches I found out the three things I needed to know:

1) Use CUPS itself via a browser.
    2) Set it as an LDP printer.
    3) Even though Windows refers to the port as P1, for Linux it's /L1

Remind me again why Linux is so good...

M
    I sympathize with you Meridian. It took me over a week to get my Canon copier/printer working from Linux, and even then the best I could do was get CUPS to print to it as a network printer when installed on the Wife's Windows machine. I just couldn't get the darn thing to work on a direct (usb) connection.

Last time I seriously played with Linux I had the printer directly connected to one computer and set to be shared. That was usually pretty easy to get working I seem to remember. But my problem here was that in many cases I just didn't understand the questions: "Host name?" Which host? The one hosting CUPS? The one hosting the printer (which is none)? You get the picture.

M