Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu install

Re: ubuntu install

ok update on my issue the install was not installing grub correctly,which after reading my sorry rear and trying to understand it to a small point as i'm so darn new to ubunto it was the disc and installing grub correctly was not happening.What i did is go and get kubunto and did that image and i got it install now so far everything is working updating it as i type this.

linux community here is always good thank you for helping me figure this part out now to get my dvd to run and listening to my music be the next step,maybe i can find a nice 3d game i can enjoy will see how this turns out it sure be nice to have and easy time getting 3d to work correctly as i notice is the biggest issue i see posted.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

glad you got it going, a good dvd player is xine, you will also need libdvdcss2, get them with apt-cache search xine, when you find the version to match your o/s, it's apt-get install <filename>, same for libdvdcss2.

ok install the 3d drivers now I get the black screen.I went in and did the changes not vesa since i stall the fglx i think what it showed.Now maybe it's because im using lcd tv to boot into and it's having a hard time getting it right.Just a thought not sure.

from a terminal windows can you run fgrlx gears? If not you need the ATI drivers installed.

I did enable the restricted driver to download and install that's when it wouldn't load xserver I follow your post and put vesa back on and i'm back in it.Not sure if maybe i need some updates so it config correctly.I did try to us the updater,I change some setting see if it starts to download the updates.

well finally got home and start up and did the glxgears and i was getting3800as the score almost all the time 3800and some I guess that means it's working.still not found how to get a higher resolution but this monitor can do 1380x760.How are you doing jack.

Still woriking on it, trying the restricted driver now, checked NVidia website, I have the correct driver for my GeForce 3 Ti200 on the box, but can't get it to load. I really hope I get it going soon, I think I'm going to like Gutsy.

Looks like people are having varying levels of success. I seem to be lucky with my install of 7.10. Everything seems to work and I can get 1600x1200 on my monitor which I could never do in 7.04. The one thing I still can't figure out is how to get the 3d effects for the desktop. The system is an Intel P4 2GHz, 950 board with 512MB of RAM and a ati 9700 vid card. Should be able to handle the eye candy stuff OK, right?

The eyecandy is Compiz, try hit alt-f2 and type in compiz.

I'm not sure that it's activated by default. There's also the CompizConfig manager which is a gui to control the fancy effects. It's not installed by default, you'll probably want to install it.

I can get the resolution I want but no 3D accelaration, am considerin booting back into Fiesty, and copying it's xorg.conf to USB Flash drive, going back into Gutsy and replacing.

There we go, all better, used Envy to install, worked like a charm - frame rates back to normal. . Don't quite understand why I had to go that route, but nonetheless it's fixed.

well finally got home and start up and did the glxgears and i was getting3800as the score almost all the time 3800and some I guess that means it's working.still not found how to get a higher resolution but this monitor can do 1380x760.How are you doing jack.

Tis all better now, I suggest you goto Ubuntu's site and d/l/install Envy, it detects your monitor and video card MUCH better, and sets them up for max performance, was much easier that way, didn't take 5 minutes.

thx for the tip jack I'll try that.dvd is not playing error i get is xime or something like that plug in are not install searching on that issue I can't even install vlc from that apt dl strange.

ops newbie how i go about installing stuff is there and easy way or what i need to do or read.