Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

US to force diplomats to take Baghdad jobs

1 hour, 49 minutes ago WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US State Department announced Friday it will force diplomats to serve in Iraq to fill a growing number of vacant positions at its embassy in Baghdad on threat of dismissal.
    if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['q6KTjM6.Irw-']='&U=13btpqkqu%2fN%3dq6KTjM6.Irw-%2fC%3d578400.10231149.12056648.1559897%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4320985';
    The department has not received applications for about 50 of 250 Baghdad jobs to be filled by mid-2008, said Harry Thomas, the department's director of human resources.
    Between 200 to 300 diplomats have been identified as potential candidates and will receive a letter on Monday ordering them to apply for a Baghdad position.
    The targeted diplomats will have 10 days to reply. After the deadline passes, a panel will directly appoint diplomats.
    "Starting November 12 and ending on Thanksgiving (November 27), we will have our assignment panel and they will assign people in Iraq," Thomas said.
    "We would then consider appropriate action ... including dismissal from foreign services," he said. "We have all taken an oath to serve our country."

i couldnt find a cartoon with soem dude and another one with a gun to his back so jimz willing there will be one shortly

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Re: US to force diplomats to take Baghdad jobs

Ill have to look.^^ I read this this morning and Im sure it sounds worse than it actually is.....

like i said gun in the back picture tells the tale thanks for lookn.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your

scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board

Say dang.. could ya fix the linkage please?

Found it..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102700223.html
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 10-27-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

State Dept. To Order Diplomats To Iraq

It sounds more anticipatory than an actual emergency

Just finished reading.. I'm not sure how their contracts read.. but it looks as if war zones are not specifically excluded and they have done this before.

Starting Nov. 12, "our assignments panel will assign people to Iraq," Thomas told reporters in a conference call Friday. "Under our system, we have all taken an oath to serve our country, we have all signed (up for) worldwide availability.

"If someone decides ... they do not want to go, we will then consider appropriate action," he said. "We have many options, including dismissal from the Foreign Service."
    Starting In 1969, an entire class of entry-level diplomats was sent to Vietnam, and on a smaller scale, diplomats were required to work at various embassies in West Africa in the 1970s and 1980s.
    We should also be thankful the WAPO was able to spin Blackwater into the article..

It is certain to be unpopular due to serious security concerns in Iraq and uncertainty over the status of the private contractors who protect U.S. diplomats there, particularly after a deadly Sept. 16 shooting in which guards from Blackwater USA protecting an embassy convoy were accused of killing 17 Iraqi civilians.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Unless I misread? It sounds like if A doesnt happen...and B doesnt work? Then we go to this option.
    Sorta like a baseball team manager suggesting "plan C" if the starter and mid reliever both fail.

what link?

of no board

they can always just get another job.

I'd do it if I worked for 'em.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

^^That is Cicero. I had to check my first thought. Yes.

Depends if you're couped up in the green zone the whole time or not.

Iraq is ok in a scruffy, litter everywhere, middle eastern kinda way. It's quite pretty and green along the rivers. The desert is nice and big, if you like that sort of thing. Plenty of ruins and ancient cities to see, like Ur, Babylon, Ctesiphon etc. The antiquities museum in Bagdad has been looted since I was there. It's a pity it's still rather dangerous venturing out to see it all.

A good place to send the mother in law perhaps.

I liked the "we" in this quote:

Thomas told reporters in a conference call Friday. "Under our system, we have all taken an oath to serve our country, we have all signed (up for) worldwide availability.

I take it he has done his stint there? Or is he being a typical manager?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I liked the "we" in this quote:

I take it he has done his stint there? Or is he being a typical manager?

M
    Thats the rules they took an oath they need to just deal with it they knew the job could suck before they took it.With the same argument you coud apply it to the armed services.