Cable sleeving question

Hey guys,

I just saw that the PSU I would be getting (the Corsair 650tx) has poorly sleeved cables. They are sleeved with nylon (which I like) but they don't go all the way to the top. I am looking on www.frozencpu.com at cable sleeving, and when I get my sleeving it would definitely be UV Reactive, preferably nylon. How do I know what size (1/8", 1/2", 1/4", or 3/8") sleeving covers what cables? There a posting anywhere for that?

They also recommend, at least to my interpretation, that you should not cut with scissors, but fray with a lighter or match or something. Does that mean hold the match or lighter where you want to "cut" the sleeving until it comes off there?

I also imagine that to finish it up nicely, I should put heatshrink over the end, to secure the sleeving in place... any recommendations on the sizes there? I've never worked with sleeving before, but I definitely know I can really increase the potential of the way my wires are. I'm going to go back over the rate my cables thread and see how everyone did theirs... has anyone ever done multi-colored sleeving?

I think what I am going to do since I will have a water cooling setup... UV Blue water. UV Green Cables. Possibly UV Blue Molex Connectors. If I want to alternate, maybe UV Green Connectors, with the UV blue heatshrink and the UV Green cable... thoughts?

Re: Cable sleeving question

Don't mix up any wires

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

God, you know it's weird, while I'm not doing any of the sleeving right now, this will be like... months from now... I didn't consider that. I could only hope that I was smart enough (which I think I am) to consider that when I got around to doing this!

Do you know of any pictures that show some good sleeving jobs?

What about the heatshrink at the end of the sleeve at each end of the cables?

Size of the sleeving I need?

I don't know, but the places that sell the stuff will know.
    If you are getting your own shrink wrap, you can get it in a variety pack with plenty of sizes.

FormFactor.org has diagrams of the wiring for reference.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

here's a few more sites to give you and idea of what available. several of them list kits that will give you an idea on how much you need. they been around for awhile and weren't designed for the extra connectors used on today's psu.

http://www.coolerguys.com/wiresleeving.html#top

http://www.directron.com/toolacsup.html

http://www.svc.com/sleeving.html

http://www.svc.com/sleeving-tools.html

as for cutting the sleeving, get a cheap sharp knife. go to a tobacco store and find a refillable torch type ligher. one with the burner at a right angle.

edit: don't use it on the shrink tubing!!!!! way to effective.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 10-29-2007 at 01:01 PM.

I looked at Frozen too because I have a mini tower case and the new PSU has really long leads and they don't fit very well in that case. I was going to shorten them.
    I do believe Frozen does have some Tutorials on there site somewhere just can't remember were I found them.
    Biostar P4M900-M7 FE, Inte Core 2 Duo E7400, Win7

I saw a few guides online... basically there was one guide that said the 1/4" and the 1/2" are the two primary sizes you're going to need. Furthermore, if you get the nylon sleeving, you're going to need to burn the ends just enough, enough so they don't fray, but not too much so they don't expand. I believe that also the 1/2" is going to be used for the main power supply cable going to the motherboard.

They also said to use the heatshrink near the ends. Not one guide said how close you can have it to the connector so it's effective. I don't recall them stating either if you need to have an equal size heatshrink to go over the nylon sleeve, or if it has to be a step up bigger.

The only thing I really didn't see too much of is how to easily sleeve the wires that have multiple connectors on them... I think that's something I'm going to have to figure out on my own. But removing the pins and replacing them seems to be easy enough.. don't even need a molex removal tool.

I'm really looking to resleeve my cables though. Since I'm going to have nothing but black lights in the case, obviously everything is going to be UV reactive. I'm looking for something that will give depth. I've thought about going with blue uv reactive liquid for my water cooling setup. Wires will probably be green uv nylon (hate the color, but it looks good UV), blue uv heatshrink, and then probably green uv connectors...

It's going to take quite some time to do it, but I'm in no rush... something that looks good is my goal. I still need to look for a case that does well with wiring, and water cooling. I'm thinking the P180 again, but that seems like it would be a wiring NIGHTMARE!!!

EDIT: I am a tad bit nervous ordering from FrozenCPU again... I had a bad experience trying to get a fan from them. Left a bad taste in my mouth!

it's waaaay too much of a pain in the arse i say.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...a0a91413b44b7a

those guys will sleeve damn near anything you buy from them with your choice of sleeving color and heat shrink color and they do a damn fine job! on smaller stuff it's free for the most part but on psu's you usually pay extra for sleeving, prices vary depending on the psu. sleevingcosts around 50-60 bucks though i wanna say. had them sleeve my psu and they did a great job, saved me a ton of time and frustration. you can even tell them what kind and color molex connectors you want.

it's pricey sure, but it's also a lot of labor, 60 bucks isn't bad for a good 2-3 hour job at the very least i'd bet. and the quality i found far better than what i was going to do on my first go at it. plus you don't have to buy the heat shrink tubing or the sleeving or even the molex removal tool, though everyone should have that in their modding kits anyways.

every fan, Y splitter, extension cable, everything in my system is pretty much sleeved by these guys, next psu i buy will be from them as well as sleeved by them.

btw they have a good selection of psu's and decent prices, i did not see the exact model you were looking for but they did have the 620 version. did not seem like they had a sleeving option for it, but if you contact them i'm sure they would do it for you for the sleeving cost.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Here's one PSU I sleeved.
    Before

After

With the exception of the SATA power lines, everything was sleeved. It does take about a good 2-3 hours to do one. But after a few, the process becomes easier.