Inkjet Printable Audio CD-Rs

Didn't know where to post this so here goes......

I'm far from the purist audiophile as I’ve lost the function of the right ear, however…..
    1.Just ripped my CD library (WinAmp) and now want to burn compilations.
    2.Looking for inkjet printable media
    3.Is there indeed a perceivable difference between data vs. audio media? This is more for the wife and rest of the family.
    4.Need a source of said media that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3

Re: Inkjet Printable Audio CD-Rs

The difference between data and audio cd's has nothing to do with the quality of the disks. The difference is in a code on an audio disk that some set top CD recorders look for to function properly. I don't know all of the specifics, but much of it has to do with Copyrights. Since you are burning them on a Computer it won't make any difference. The reason that Music CD's are more expensive isn't a difference in quality, but a portion of the price goes to the Music Industry much like a portion of the price of a Video Tape goes to the Mtion Picture Industry. The main thing to watch out for is getting a good brand of disk and burning at the slowest possible speed (normally anything 12x and under is okay with 8x seeming to be the sweet spot). It's the reason that I still have my old Plextor 12x CD burner.

Check these links for some additional information.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-17

http://www.mscience.com/faq505.html

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa8.htm

You should be able to find good quality media at any Office Supply or Consumer Electronics Store. Verbatum and Fuji are normally regarded as good quality. House brands can be hit or miss, but usually miss. There are some real experts here that can do a better job of recommending specific brands or grades and I'm sure they will chime in pretty soon with their picks.
    Last edited by MrNovi; 10-28-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Re: Inkjet Printable Audio CD-Rs

Thanks MrNovi!! Started to realize the difference with some study, but you made it easy. Now to order some printable CD-Rs and start the burning! Also finally get to see if my old Epson R300 can do CDs like it says.

Why F@H?? Click me!
    As of 07/28/11
    Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3