Labtop Upgrade for better performance while gaming

Hello

I recently bought my wife a computer, just for personal use. I have played World of Warcraft and Counterstrike for many years, and she is recently wanting to play them. We were playing WoW together, and her computer would sometimes go black (like it was turned off) and then go back to normal after a second or two. This happened every one or two minutes, or when she would turn her character. I know this is considered lag, so I turned all her graphics settings in game down to the lowest, but it continues to do the same problem. We have an excellent connection with Cox high speed internet.
    Can anyone help me on how I can better her computer. I know absolutely nothing about Laptops, and upgrading, and what I am limited to upgrade.
    Here are her settings:

<b>Product Features</b>
    <i>
    - Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

- 512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

- Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

- 15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

- 80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

- CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

- 5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

- 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

- Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

- Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery </i>

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Labtop Upgrade for better performance while gaming

laptops not being the most upgradeable machines to begin with there's not a heck of a lot that can be done.

definately upgrade your ram, preferably to 2gb if the laptop supports it, 512 isn't enough for vista even, 1gb is the bare minimum i'd go with.

you're just about screwed on the graphics side of things, a good video card would do wonders for that system. unfortunately that's not really an option right now. there's talk of making addon graphics cards for the express slot found on newer laptops, i guess it has the bandwith needed just nothing is out yet.

other than the ram the only other thing to do to improve the game performance is a faster cpu, and i'd be weary to even guess what kind of gains that would even give you, nothing dramatic to be sure.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by calebtron View Post
    Hello

I recently bought my wife a computer, just for personal use. I have played World of Warcraft and Counterstrike for many years, and she is recently wanting to play them. We were playing WoW together, and her computer would sometimes go black (like it was turned off) and then go back to normal after a second or two. This happened every one or two minutes, or when she would turn her character. I know this is considered lag, so I turned all her graphics settings in game down to the lowest, but it continues to do the same problem. We have an excellent connection with Cox high speed internet.
    Can anyone help me on how I can better her computer. I know absolutely nothing about Laptops, and upgrading, and what I am limited to upgrade.
    Here are her settings:

<b>Product Features</b>
    <i>
    - Intel® Celeron® M processor 530 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.73GHz processor speed

- 512MB DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB

- Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM

- 15.4" TFT-LCD widescreen display with TruBrite technology and 1280 x 800 native resolution; support for 720p

- 80GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-64MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory; S-video output

- CD/DVD media controls for easy one-touch access to movies and music; Internet button conveniently launches default Web browser

- 5-in-1 bridge media adapter supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Card

- 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

- Built-in Atheros high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; 56 Kbps modem

- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition operating system preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 8.5, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5, Adobe Acrobat Reader and more

- Weighs only 6 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin for lightweight portability; lithium-ion battery </i>

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    well the problem you described isn't lag and mostlikely not performance related. i would look towards driver issues. and i second the memory motion. you want at least a gig, especially for WoW.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that when I had bought the laptop, I added a stick of 1 gig RAM. I now have a total of 1.512 RAM.
    Could it be anything else? Does vista just suck with gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by calebtron View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that when I had bought the laptop, I added a stick of 1 gig RAM. I now have a total of 1.512 RAM.
    Could it be anything else? Does vista just suck with gaming?
    it's not a stellar performer, but your video card, or lack there of, does suck, so you're not gonna be gaming very much on that particular laptop.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Allocate the highest amount of ram your video card will allow if you haven't done so yet.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring Banaaaaana phone

Last edited by a cat : yesterday at 05-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    well the problem you described isn't lag and mostlikely not performance related. i would look towards driver issues. and i second the memory motion. you want at least a gig, especially for WoW.
    I'm not so good with computers. Can someone give me links as to where to update the specific drivers I would need to update.

Thank you all for your help.