Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to transfer files from old computer - help

I've still got the great dell laptop that several here have helped me with...hasn't been confiscated, running smooth with Avast, Sybot and Ad-ware. Thanks again!

I really need to get an older desktop and laptop out of apartment. Daughter will be moving here in 6 weeks and we still have boxes piled up, and its a very small place.

I've sat at desktop on a few occasions and sent myself stuff via email. Some things won't fly due to size, though they should. I initially received them via email but I guess it's a connection issue or something. Anyway, really need to just get this done.

I read a bit on Microsoft site and I don't think their 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard'. I'm not interested in computer settings, just some of the data on computer.

I saw one recommendation for software that helps you pick/choose what you want to transfer which made me think 'freeware!'...

this site listed several options but being a computer dummy, I don't know what is safe, etc. http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/file-transfer.htm

Suggestions for shareware that I could download that is real user friendly?

Also, does this type question belong in another forum/category?

Thanks, cj

Re: Need to transfer files from old computer - help

Are these pc's you want to transfer files from/to connected to a home network? ( router ) or HUB? IF so, you could simply map a network drive and copy the files over the network.

How many How big are the files you want to transfer? I know at Wallgreens they have like 1GB USB flashdrives for like 15 bucks. Thats a good low cost way to transfer files.

If you are on the same network and your simply looking for an interface to help you move files over..... theres nothing better than windows explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    Are these pc's you want to transfer files from/to connected to a home network? ( router ) or HUB? IF so, you could simply map a network drive and copy the files over the network.

How many How big are the files you want to transfer? I know at Wallgreens they have like 1GB USB flashdrives for like 15 bucks. Thats a good low cost way to transfer files.

If you are on the same network and your simply looking for an interface to help you move files over..... theres nothing better than windows explorer.
    hey yeah,
    (thought that sounded good).

yes, i have wireless router. have not tried to get online w/ older laptop but desktop is already set up. Shouldn't be a problem to get online with laptop as it has a wireless card.

So... I can:
    1) map a network drive and copy the files over the network.
    2) usb flashdrive
    3)windows explorer

okay, i have a flashdrive and can't find it. but since i do have router, sounds like the other is the way to go.

are 1 and 3 the same thing? and how do i do it? when you say windows explorer... is that looking at the microsoft site and following directions? if so, will they let me pick which files, pics, etc i want? the bit i looked at it, i was afraid it would dump all files over and i don't want that.

and i hate to say this, but... thinking/processing is not too clear so i really want this to be simple.

i will do an internet search on 'map a network drive' and see what i can learn while waiting for reply...

as always, THANKS!! cj
    found info on mapping, will read up... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../mapdrive.mspx
    Last edited by cjinca; 10-30-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: mapping info

The easiest way to do it once you get the two computers connected is create a folder on each of the computers to hold the files. On the rig you want to copy files from use Windows Explorer to find all of the files you want to transfer and move them to the folder you just created named transfer from. Doing this makes it easier to find the files and will make moving them much easier.

Now go to the computer you want to move the files to and copy (or move) the files from the transfer from folder on the old computer to the transfer to folder on the system you want to store them on. This way nothing gets overwritten.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

You could just put them on the same workgroup and then browse my Network Places to see the files on the other computer then copy what you need.
    You can alway add full permissions to your user name and copy frm to and so on...simple and quick.

Shuttle XPC-SN95G5-V3
    CPU-AMD 64x2 4400+ 2.46GHz
    Corsair Twinx 1024-3200LLPT
    WD/250GB-*2 16MB Cache--Raid 0
    D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router Dir-655
    MB:Nforce 3 Ultra, BFG 7800 GS OC
    HW191D WideScreen
    Mod-Nvidia drivers=
    Microsoft Small Business Server
    Office 20007 Enterprise

Okay, I'm back. Went fishing for my 50th birthday and have been playing catch up ever since. Sorry for the disappearance. But I'm hoping that between today and tomorrow, I can get started at this process of transferring files, etc...
    MrNovi, I appreciate how you are spelling things out. I think I at least have something to start with. I know for you computer whizzes, its pretty hard to get what I don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    The easiest way to do it once you get the two computers connected is create a folder on each of the computers to hold the files. On the rig you want to copy files from use Windows Explorer to find all of the files you want to transfer and move them to the folder you just created named transfer from. Doing this makes it easier to find the files and will make moving them much easier.

Now go to the computer you want to move the files to and copy (or move) the files from the transfer from folder on the old computer to the transfer to folder on the system you want to store them on. This way nothing gets overwritten.
    Krodrig2, I appreciate your advice but I don't understand... workgroup would be a folder? and I have no idea about full permissions but I like the simple, quick part... I will search around my computer and see if I can find my user name and how to change settings on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krodrig2
    You could just put them on the same workgroup and then browse my Network Places to see the files on the other computer then copy what you need.
    You can alway add full permissions to your user name and copy frm to and so on...simple and quick.
    thanks again to all... cj

I understand your apprehension with what you are trying to accomplish.
    Simply as an alternative? You want stuff off the desktop right? Are you able to save/burn a cd? On the desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I understand your apprehension with what you are trying to accomplish.
    Simply as an alternative? You want stuff off the desktop right? Are you able to save/burn a cd? On the desktop?
    Hey Jim!

Well, two things... I have not yet managed to get organized enough to have a clear idea how much 'stuff' I'm gonna need to transfer and I hate to spend unecessary money on discs... but IF I get into the above mentioned processes and they seem overwhelming, discs it will be... I even have one of those little memory sticks somewhere but it has temporarily disappeared. Since moving, there is much still not settled here..

As always, thanks for chiming in. If you have pointers for the process I'm going to try (even though I really don't know what it is), I'm all ears... I'll probably just sit down at desktop tomorrow and try to start messing with it.

cj

You will need to right click my computer and select properties, select Computer Name tab at the top then select the change tap to add a network workgroup for your computer...something simple like c-workgroup then do the same on the other computer. You should be able to open My Network Places and see your other computer.

Shuttle XPC-SN95G5-V3
    CPU-AMD 64x2 4400+ 2.46GHz
    Corsair Twinx 1024-3200LLPT
    WD/250GB-*2 16MB Cache--Raid 0
    D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router Dir-655
    MB:Nforce 3 Ultra, BFG 7800 GS OC
    HW191D WideScreen
    Mod-Nvidia drivers=
    Microsoft Small Business Server
    Office 20007 Enterprise

Quote Originally Posted by krodrig2 View Post
    You will need to right click my computer and select properties, select Computer Name tab at the top then select the change tap to add a network workgroup for your computer...something simple like c-workgroup then do the same on the other computer. You should be able to open My Network Places and see your other computer.
    Thanks krodrig2...

I started this process and have two questions:

first of all, if my connection or whatever is not currently THROUGH windows, will i be totally screwing something up to try and complete this??? you know when you select 'view wireless networks', it says, 'windows cannot configure this wireless connection, if you have enabled another program to manage... '

all this makes me think that when charter cable came in and set up wireless network they used 'some other program'... pretty genuis deduction, huh?

second question: when i started process, the second step asked for DNS number... i searched google as to how to find it, did an ipconfig and have that info...

but again, i hit cancel, thinking, 'hey, i think i'm proceeding with windows when something else is currently managing my wireless, etc and this may be a conflict... so i stopped...

waiting for further orders;

bump up ^^^
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

In the high Desert of the southwest looking for GOLD

I have to say I have read this thread and I am a little confused. If you want to move your files the setting up of a workgroup is the easy way to go. If you want to go over the wireless that's fine but it will be easier if you just connect two LAN cables to the router and then to each box you want to connect to.

One of the big keys to getting this right is to make sure that BOTH machines have the same account setup with the same password or this will not work. So if your username is administrator, Joeblow, etc with a blank password change the account to have the SAME password on both machines.

To update user accounts go to Control Panel> and click on Users and then select the user account you want to change/create.

Once that is done you will have to change both machines to be in the same workgroup. Right click on MyComputer>Click properties>then click on the Computer Tab.

In the Computer Name box give each box a Name Like Desktop, Box1, Laptop, Box2, etc.

In the box labeled Workgroup name the workgroup: Workgroup1, home, ETC
    Now makesure that the LAPTOP has the same Workgroup name. Once complete RESTART both machines.

Now all that being done you should be able to click start>Run and type \\Laptop\c$ and you might be prompted to type a username and password. If so type the account name you setup and the password. This should give you access to local machines directory.

There is one other thing that I think I am missing I will update later once I fighure that out

KM
    Live life for today not for tomorrow.
    "your village called there idiot is missing"

Heatware
    Ebay

best way i've found to map a networked drive if you go that route is to set a static ip on the machine with the shared drive/folders and then on the machine you want to map the drive to all you need to do is type in \\192.168.1.101\Shared Drive

where the ip is whatever static ip you chose for that machine and the name after it is whatever you named the share.

i've had waaaaay too many problems to count trying to map a drive by searching for it through the browse button, this way is just so much more direct.

also, you can get 2-4gb flash drive super cheap nowadays, they're worth the price too.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

The poor guy is probably confused by now...The fact of the matter there is many ways the task here can be accomplished. It has been said already but i will repeat the common realistic methods include:
    1. Flash or External USB Drive
    2. Network Transfer

Really if you have a network and by a network i mean two systems attatched to a router/switch via wireless or patch cord, then the rest is software config.
    If you are running windows this involves to changing both systems to the same workgroup like others have said..This is done by right clicking my computer on the desktop -> properties -> computer name -> make sure the comp names are different but the workgroups are the same. The second thing to do is to restart both system after the changes, and preapre to share directories. The easiest thing to do is to create a folder on the desktop and right click share -> and check the box to share the directory, repeat this on both systems. Proceed by opening network places and you should see under workgroups both system, opening it should allow you to see the shared folder in whihc you can just drag and drop things liek you normally would.
    I should add if both system are on the network by cord then this should go pretty fast if one is on wireless it might take a while so be patient.

Goodluck and hopefully i havnt confused you even more..let us know..
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    bump up ^^^
    CMB, thanks for the bump.

Interesting timing... I bought the flash drive today, came home and walla!, notice in my inbox from pcperspectives. Not one reply, but 3!