Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Defrag a USB drive, how can I do this safely?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3 View Post
    Well, provided the drive is still accessible,
    Thats the problem, the drive shows up in MyComputer, and you can open it, but you can't copy or do anything with it.
    The formating never got finished. I can't format it. that is why I wanted to preform a low level format, hoping it would be a last chance. What happens I get to about 55% formating, than all the sudden the progress bar starts moving faster, till it gets to 100% formated. But than a message pops up saying format couldn't compleate.

Thanks for that link btw!
    I'm going to try this program, it might do it.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...mat-Tool.shtml
    Last edited by Starstreams; 11-02-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Defrag a USB drive, how can I do this safely?

Ok, I just did a Low Level format with that utility above, and I was able to format the drive and, now I can copy files to it. But when I tried wiping it with CyberScrub it is gets almost all the way through, and than the Delayed Write error comes up. Anyway, Iím just going to send it, Iím sure the guys at Seagate wonít steal my bank passwords, and Iím not liable either way.

As a side note: Iím really staring to dislike the Seagate company. First off, if youíre American, and only speak English, you canít understand what the people are saying. I have nothing against other cultures of people, but some of them are very difficult to understand. If you buy a damn product in American, you should get American support. Itís not fair to the customer.
    No Thanks to the global economy.

Now I canít even log into their web site to read their response to the questions I emailed them, and no I didnít type the password and username in wrong. Itís the same one I used last night, and I cleared my cookies and temp files.
    If thatís not bad enough, they sent me an email with an RMA number; Yesterday, when I was able to log into the web site, I was brought to the RMA form. , you click NextÖNext.. All of the sudden, the top bar changes from a return form, to an upgrade form, and than a shopping cart.
    How did I go from a return form to a shopping cart? I didnít enter or check anything because there was nothing there to put checks into. so WTF is going on?

I've done this stuff a million times; the process is not new to me. I guess Iíll have to call them on Monday, and ask them what the hell I need to do to send this thing back. Sometimes I think these companies donít want people to send stuff back. They make it difficult hoping people will get discouraged and just let it go.

If you're really, really concerned with no one being able to pull data from your disk, I suppose you could try this. I can't say how using that product would affect your RMA process, though...

that was funny,
    I’d imagine that thing would pull the platters right out, and through my roof…lol

I actually tried, something called DBAN, which boots off either a USB drive, floppy, or CD
    The program doesn’t care if you have a partition or not, it wipes everything. Anyway, the problem is that it only recognizes IDE, and SCSI drives, and you’d better open your computer and unplug all your other drives because it wipes everything. Anyway, that didn’t work.

I wish I had something like DBAN that did recognize USB devices.
    Either way, I’m sending them the drive, I really don’t think anyone is going to try to look at my bank account passwords, and if they do, I’d just close it. I don't like my bank anyway, they charged me an over drafft fee for my first over draft. I won't say their name, but it was total BS.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 11-03-2007 at 09:16 PM.