Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: BSOD ~ How to use Debugging Tools For Windows

hi, i've been getting some BSODs myself. My pc was recently repaired with a new HDD wich was supposedly the problem of my BSODs. One day after i brought it home it started crashing again, i ran memtest during the night with no errors encountered in the ram, did 8 tests. I can't seem to get debugger working, i get those symbol errors although i downloaded them all to my pc. Anyway i used Bluescreen View here it is

System spec:
    VGA: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - with lastest driver installed
    RAM: 2xslots DDR2 800/667MHz 4GB
    CPU: Intel Core2 DUO CPU T6600 2.2GHz
    HDD: Fujitsu MJA2500BH G2 ATA device 500GB

It seems it happens more when im booting my pc, it's taking more then usual to boot and it starts a bit slow, then when its running nothing happens and all appears normal. Thank you for your time
    Last edited by Agriao; 02-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.

First, when they replaced the hard drive did they do a clean install of Windows, or just clone your old install. If they just cloned the old one then there is a good chance that it was corrupted. Even if it was a new/clean install, running the following would still be a good idea.

Open up an Elevated Command Prompt (re: Run As Administrator), type in sfc /scannow, then hit enter. This should take about 10 to 20 minutes depending on what it finds. After that finishes open up another Elevated Command Prompt and type in chkdsk /r and hit enter. You will be prompted that it can't run now and do you want to run it the next time the system boots. Type in Y, hit enter, then reboot the computer and let it run. Depending on the size of the OS partition and how many problems it finds and needs to fix this could take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more as it is very thorough.

What happens is that when the system shuts down like it does when you pull the plug, have a power outage, BSOD, etc. without going through the normal Windows Shutdown Routine some of the files that are open become corrupted and/or some of the clusters on the hard drive become corrupted. Running those two utilities (sfc is System File Checker) will normally clean up and fix the problems leaving you with a more stable and responsive system. Otherwise the corruption leads to more problems. less stability, loss of performance, and quite often more corruption.

I normally run these two utilities once a month or so even if I don't have any problems, and anytime I have some problems.

Also, what motherboard are you running?
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Thank you for the quick response. Yeah i think they cloned an image, they usually format the PC install a copy to perform tests and what not and then they use that image again. Anyway i formated my pc after that to install my windows 7 copy. Hmm power outages might be the problem i remember this started happening after i had some electrical problems at home and windows kept shutting down. I ran the system check and yes it found some problems that can't be corrected, it created a log, a very long one. I actually got a BSOD while writing this and installing a software to check my motherboard called Sandra, and the dump log now says thats ntfs.sys was the cause of that crash. I can't run chkdsk right now because i need the computer to work but i will do it overnight to see if it finds anything.

Motherboard: according to sandra "clevo w760sua"

Something i also noticed with this program, i have no idea what it means though
    Last edited by Agriao; 02-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Looks like you might be overclocking your ram too high. Try either loosening up the ram timings, or backing off of the OC on them a bit to see if that helps.

At this point you might want to consider doing a repair install of Windows to see if that can correct the problems. If that doesn't work you might need to back up your data and do a new clean install.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I've no idea how to do that especially since my BIOS doesn't let me mess with RAM nor CPU configs. I will try repair windows and see if it fixes it. Thank you very much for your help