Memory listed different

Has anyone ever run into different memory amounts listed on an OLD ASUS
    K7V? In system properites it lists' 512MB, and in system info it lists' 384MB, also the BIOS says I have 512MB of memory. This board does not have any onboard video or sound, video card is a Radeon 9600SE by Crucial 128MB so I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the mem. count.

Re: Memory listed different

Where exactly in system info are you reading that 384mb, under what heading ?
    Could be your memory minus the graphics aperture size, if you have it set to 128mb.

The way i checked in system info was to go the long way> All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information. Also I ran a system scan from crucial and it came up with 384MB of memory. Could something be messed up in the registry? Also graphics aperture size is 64MB.
    Last edited by gosling; 11-02-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to include graphics info.

Hmmmm.
    So what you have ..2 sticks of 256mb double sided ?
    See what cpu-z shows for the memory, and look in the spd tab at the different slots to see what is showing.
    Perhaps one side isn't reading ?

The system is at work, so I will have to wait untill monday to check with cpu-z, but the memory it does have is two sticks of Crucial CT32M64S4D7E. They are double sided and they are 256MB CL=2, Non pairty, Unbuffered. Thanks so far, I will let you know what I find on Monday.

Ran CPU-Z and it showed 512MB memory installed, then I checked under SPD tab and it showed 256MB slot1, 128MB slot2, removed mem out of slot2 and installed in slot3 128MB, removed mem out of slot 3, and installed in slot 1 256MB, mem that was in slot 1 installed in slot2 128MB. Would video shadow rom>ram setting in BIOS have any affect on memory count? It is set a rom now.

No that should only eat up some extra Kb of memory and not effect windows reporting.
    If you switch your memory speed temporarily to pc100 ( I think in the bios you switch it to 3:3 DRAM to CPU ratio ) does it read the full ram ?

Okay, went into BIOS and switched memory to pc100 and still have the same reading, 256MB slot1, 128MB slot2, and BIOS reports 512MB installed, changed the frequncey back to 133Mhz. Could it be that ASUS boards allocate some memory for PCI slots? Just a thought!
    Last edited by gosling; 11-06-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added comment.

The only reason I mentioned trying to lower the speed, was because I remember from the "olden days" some mention of a problem with memory detection. There used to be a forum k7v.com just on the k7v.
    The only thing I can find now is something similar, but it was misreported in bios.
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ad.php?t=80235

Did some more checking and came across some information that has something to do with physical address mode in XP proSP2 couldn't quite grasp how the fix went, but it could be the problem I'm having, just wonder if anyone has went through this?