Question Silly ASP Question

At http://www.phpbb.com/, they have a wonderful generic messageboard that is just perfect for what I want to use it for. However, the company I work for does not have PHP support on its webserver. It would be great if I could find a similiar free messageboard program that was written using an ASP platform.

Does anyone know of such a program?

Thanks

Re: Silly ASP Question

I did a quick search and came up with this:

http://www.getfreesofts.com/soft/258...ent_Board.html

http://forum.snitz.com/specs.asp

I'm sure one would work for you
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

I have used Snitz before. Suited my needs just fine.

Do you have an IIS server to play around with and test it on?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Do these forums need to be accessed from the web? If local intranet access would suffice you could always set up a small LAMP server on your company's network for just the cost of a single computer (even an old spare computer could work depending on the size of the company).

If you download a copy of Ubuntu it's easy to set up MySQL and Apache with PHP support. Like most modern Linux distos, Ubuntu has a simple package management system that allows you to install all necessary programs from a single easy to use interface.

Great post Spankin. In fact, if you have a VM server, I'm willing to bet there are already phpBB images that you can just mount and be off in running in minutes.

Gota plug it when ya can.

Thanks everybody. I work for a big company so plugging in any additional unauthorized computers is not an option. I will investigate Snitz.

Thanks again

If you are running XP Pro, you should have or be able to get IIS 5.1 on your machine. From there you can deploy Snitz(or what other message board you like) locally as your proof of concept and get the teams buy in.

I did a little searching for a VM image that you could easily mount and be off to the races, but Snitz is so easy to install (being a classic ASP web app) that you should be up and running pretty quickly.

I don't know where you are at in the project or your skill level so if the above was a 'no brainer' to you, just ignore it.

I downloaded Snitz to my laptop to test it out and it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I will set this up on my company's webserver tomorrow and see how well it goes over.

Thanks again everyone, especially Jay See Bee!

There really isn't anything comparable on ASP.NET. Even the ASP.NET forum at the main ASP.NET website is utter and complete crap compared with other high-powered PHP forum software. I'd go with Invision Power Board, vBulletin or Simple Machines Forum. Simple Machines Forums are free while the other two aren't (but I put them their due to their quality). phpBB seems to be great at getting your web server hacked in the span of an afternoon (just happened to my buddy's forum and he keeps it up to date).

Also, you aren't hamstrung because you have Windows. There's such a thing as WAMP (sorry to spoil the Linux pimpage, Spankin' ). There are Windows binaries of PHP, MySql, and Apache. You can also use IIS instead of Apache:

http://www.php.net/install.windows

Snowball2, I believe he is looking for a classic ASP message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball 2 View Post
    Also, you aren't hamstrung because you have Windows. There's such a thing as WAMP (sorry to spoil the Linux pimpage, Spankin' ). There are Windows binaries of PHP, MySql, and Apache. You can also use IIS instead of Apache:

http://www.php.net/install.windows
    Ah yes, WIMP err I mean WAMP. Ooops little slip there.

It'll be fine so long as you don't need to run this application for a mission critical task (which this probably isn't). WAMP sometimes suffers from 'odd' issues due to the fact that most PHP applications are not thoroughly tested on WAMPs.

Also running this on a desktop (whether WAMP or VMware-->Linux-->LAMP), will also suffer from Window's automatic updates that tend to reboot the computer for your convenience. You'll want to watch how that's set up too.

Personally? I wouldn't want WAMP within 50 miles of a production environment