Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

getting ready to unleash the beast!

Thanks to liquidsoul I have some case swapping to do over the weekend

Got me a new PSU and CPU cooler to feed the beast. I know that 6600 quad Frosty hooked me up with has so much more potential. Britzgeer said in a few days once he gets some stuff settled he has to do first hes going to teach me how to squeeze the most out of this board because hes already got a few.

With these new parts thanks to liquid I'll be really like a Hemmroid on Dangs rear end!
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Re: getting ready to unleash the beast!

nice! what cooler is that and why do u need help to push it? arent u a man?

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

its an AC7 and it has to be better than the stock cooler, the psu is an antec neo 500 with sli capabilities etc....

I just dont trust that stock cooler and that cases 400 watt psu, it crunched fine at out of the box speeds but to drive it to something worthy i needed more power scotty
    Low Speed, High Drag!

Just so you know, that power supply powered my overclocked 3Ghz Quad and also a 8800GTS with ease. The cooler kept the quad in the low to mid 50's. Glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyWills View Post

Got me a new PSU and CPU cooler to feed the beast. I know that 6600 quad Frosty hooked me up with has so much more potential. Britzgeer said in a few days once he gets some stuff settled he has to do first hes going to teach me how to squeeze the most out of this board because hes already got a few.

With these new parts thanks to liquid I'll be really like a Hemmroid on Dangs rear end!
    Not sure about teaching, but this is how I do it.

First get the system stable.

As for other components:

Decent PSU, I like the modular Corsair 500W or higher.
    I'm no fan of the AC7 - don't like the std pin mountings too easy to mess up the mounting, much prefer Zalman CNPS 7700or 9700 both have good strong mounting and the "flower" 7000 series cools the chipsets as well. Note you need to remove the MB to fit Zalmans and get rid of the wimpy Intel CPU fixation.
    For memory I like 2GB Corsair per my profile - also had good luck with GSkill and Crucial. The secret is to by memory with decent timing when its on sale.
    Of course good case cooling - without noise the - Quads do run warm.

Once you are stable its just a matter of entering the bios and cranking the bus rate. With this MB it increases voltages and stuff as required so unless you are really trying .be on the bleeeeding edge, its not complex.

You can get to a core speed of 3000 with a bus speed of around 340/350. You can play with CIA2 in bios if you wish but I normally just play with CPU Host clock control and let the system set the memory as it likes.

I look for stability and reasonable core temps - so I'm happy with 3000 from a 2400 CPU running air without a hurricane noise.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-16-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

ac7? o man i tot they sent u a nice thermalright or sumtn. its an ok chip, but oc'ing a g0 even its not great. i speaketh from experience. ull either or go to the egg and get a nice clockin sink.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your

scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board

HEHE LOL

Just have fun. JW.

is the AC7 not better than the stock cooler DAN?

the thing looks impressive, ill start on this soon, have to find time where i wont get interupted

also im switching job schedules, no more overnights for me, im done with that mess, back to days where i can work like normal folks and stay up super late into the night working on computers like pcper folks
    Low Speed, High Drag!

is the AC7 not better than the stock cooler DAN?

the thing looks impressive, ill start on this soon, have to find time where i wont get interupted

also im switching job schedules, no more overnights for me, im done with that mess, back to days where i can work like normal folks and stay up super late into the night working on computers like pcper folks
    The AC7 is better than stock (in my opinion) and certainly quieter than stock when the CPU temps get high. I always used them on my AMD's but the 4 pin system is vague in its connection and has been known to lift and create very high core temps. Just take care with its mounting, much better to do it when the MB is out of the case and you can see the pins from underneath and ensure the pin expansion locks worked.

Don't forget to check the GA forum where our very own MrNovi often hangs out - he knows way more detail than I on how to squeeze performance from Quads and GA MB's. Best to go read there before you start

Also use core temp and CPU-Z to get a benchmark of what you have for temps and MHz - you will be able to tell how well the heat is under control.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-17-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    the Britgeezer

Mine went 3.6 out of the box with my second boot.....

Cool it,,,, Volt it,,, FSB it,,, OVERCLOCK IT!!!!!! The G0's love to be beat on.
    GO VIKES!

well yes it is but dont expect miracles from a quad under it. ive built a few rigs with them and while they are better suited for overclocking c2d's (not uber clocks) , they still work good on quads but not much oc in there. now, free means u cant say no to it lol

of no board

I have 3 B3's running at 3Ghz. A G0 can hit that easy.

memory guys

im lost, this is my first venture into ddr2 stuff, looking at the egg im like floored by how cheap the stuff is....

you can get 4 1 gig sticks of gskill ddr2 800s for 110 bucks

thats amazing considering what I have paid in the past for ddr memory sets

the 1 gig of corsair value frosty sent me is functional but I need more than a gig honestly with the way things are trending and im so lost with whats what in the DDR2 world

do i need to get 1066 stuff or will the 800 suffice? theres some great prices on the 800 sets.... that 2 gig of 1 gig sticks pair of gskill from the egg has my interest at 54.99 right now, would you suggest 4x 1 gig sticks or 2x 2 gig sticks if you wanted to go 4 gig?

whats considered good oveclockers on an intel 6600 quad sitting on a gigabyte p35-ds3l?
    Low Speed, High Drag!

This is good stuff and the rebate works

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034

Oh by the way 2x2 is better than 4 x1 when you want to OC
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-18-2007 at 03:18 PM.
    the Britgeezer

I've always had good luck with corsair. I've got corair in my phase system, and it's stable at 3840mhz. I finally got it hot enough to get a core temp....22c.